Assault Sergeant

pryor

I'm going to be adding an Assault squad to my army but am wondering is there any point in giving my Sergeant with Power Fist a Combat/Storm Shield?

Also is it worth the extra points to upgrade from a Power Fist to a Thunder Hammer?

FYI the squad will be lead by a Chaplain.

problem with putting a storm shield on a sarge is, if you use it to soak inv save shots, you might lose the PF, if you don't use it, it's a waste of 15 pts. The only time it ends up being worth it is when he's the only one left.

Thunderhammers are worth the upgrade.

Only good reason for the storm shield is to stay alive when the rest of the unit dies in close.

I could see the stormshield being useful if you're running a smaller squad. Assault Marines tend to draw a lot of anti-infantry fire. If you take a big volley of lasguns or shootas on a less-than-max-sized assault squad, you're going to end up having to allocate wounds to the sergeant at some point. Problem is, you've already got a 3+ armor save. If you're attracting enough AP3 or better fire that you have to allocate to the sergeant, there's a bigger problem. If you're putting a lone plasma wound on your sergeant to gamble with the 50/50 chance of a save, you're risking too much. he's got the PF or TH, and is probably the main "punch" of the squad.

So, skip the shield, and buy part of another Marine.

Archived