Blood Angel Company Champion

Iacton

Hello all.

I recently attended Salute at Excel in London where I spent far too much money on new shiny toys. However, part of the convention was that there was a painting competition too, that I thought I should enter something into.

Not constrained to any particular mini range, this meant that there were GW pieces lining up against stuff from ranges like Hasslefree, Andrea, Enigma and so on, along with a fair bit of scratch sculpt stuff too.

I've been trying out new colour schemes with a view to what I might take to GD this year and thought that I would try this mini out as a test case.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/Iacton/Blood%20Angels/Wip1.jpg

There's a fair mix of parts here - GD08 mini body, Sicarius lightning claw, blood angel sergeant helm, TOP minis Winged Knight shoulder pad, original metal veterans set bolt pistol arm, winged skull from command squad sprue.

I wanted also to get away from the usual "industrial rubble and dirt" basing idea, and had recently picked up some plastic paving sheets, so I thought why not do a "simple" paved floor, with a few loose slabs?

I set about chopping up the sheeting and got the following..

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/Iacton/Blood%20Angels/Wip2.jpg

It was set on a deo can lid, but there were issues with that, so I made a smooth milliput and resin base to place the tiling on, which you'll see a bit later.

I've started to use P3 and vallejo paints recently in tandem with the GW stuff, so the primed model was base coated in P3 Sanguine base, and the gold areas based with P3 Umbral umber.

More to follow in my next coffee break! :blink:

I would hope so... ^_^

Ok, another quick update between jobs (it is a Friday after all :D )

I decided to use NMM on this model, partly because of the small details like the chains and the icon on the helm, but also because the lightning claw DEMANDED some extreme contrast and I'm really not enamoured with metallics right now...

So you can see here the NMM steel done to the wreath on the helm, chains, grill, cabling etc... plus of course that epic claw.

Essentially it's shadow grey base, space wolves grey and menoth highlight; with an old blue black used to shade, along with ogryn flesh, leviathan purple and some VMC German Camo black brown.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/Iacton/Blood%20Angels/Wip3.jpg

Next was the gold...

Well, here's another update! ( I do love Fridays in that regard...)

Having done the steel, I decided to work on the gold NMM. I wanted this model to be a bit over the top in terms of the metal, and I had been building up the courage to do some sky-earth reflection too, so this looked like a good model to have a go at it.

It's difficult to explain the process of how I do gold, but there is a base of bubonic brown (with a touch of tausept ochre to make the paint more opaque), highlights of menoth base and menoth highlight, shades of calthan brown, P3 battlefield green, VMC german camo black brown, devlan mud wash and one or two other hints in the deepest shades and highest highlights. There's also quite a liberal smattering of snakebite leather to tie the colours together a bit better.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/Iacton/Blood%20Angels/Wip4.jpg

I also did some eye glow, although it was a bit over the top to start off with, and gets toned down a bit further along.

There was a slight miscast to the front of the helm, so I decided to use this as a decent basis for a bit of damage.

The gold for the chapter icon was done just after this, and will be on the next update.

Looks like a decent start so far... however, I have some issue with the posing. What exactly is he supposed to be doing? If you slapped a jump pack on him he'd look as though he were landing, but without, well, he looks a little unbalanced and almost as if he's skipping. While this might just be a test piece for the GD- the judges do look at more than just painting skill- composition and planning are just as important.

-Joe

The piece is virtually finished, but I have a similar view now, Joe.

I guess that the intention was that he was taking aim in the middle of a headlong charge; but that lightning fist is likely to be dragging on the ground - such are the scaling issues of GW sculpts - if I dropped that arm down (although that would be even worse by the usual biomechanics of a human) and similarly the other arm would lose impact.

Hmm... The complexities of it all...

Well, the main thing really was the colour scheme, so I guess I'd best explain the next lot of pics :D

Red. A really interesting and quite difficult colour to work with...

I'm of the opinion that bright orange highlights look poo, and adding white to red gives pink, which also looks poo. So how to get round/over this? Well the answer will be in the very final model (I hope), but in the mean time, here's how I did the red of the armour.

As already mentioned, I used P3 Sanguine base as the base coat. over this I used successive glazes of scab red, red gore, P3 Khador red base and finally Khador red base with a dot of macharius orange.

Shading is what makes the colour interesting. I used glazes of hawk turquoise, scaly green, VMC bronze green and VMC dark sea blue. A final wash of red gore mixed with a bit of bronze green tied it all together.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/Iacton/Blood%20Angels/Wip5.jpg

You can see the beginnings of the milliput/resin base in these pics too, which I smoothed and buffed to suit, ready for some more coats of black spray and then to have the tiles re-applied.

Cheers chaps.

I'll try and cover everything...

@Brother Tancred and airbender - You can't buy those pads separately, I'm afraid. They come with the whole winged knight model, it just happens that I distribute them, so I keep a couple of spares, just in case :P

@Wiplash and Terrible_Trygon - I won't be putting a pack on him this time, but I think that I've got a few BA jump packs lying about, if I go for a similar thing with a GD entry.

@Emperor's Instrument - I may decide to sell him, one day... ;)

@Ompfris - I thought exactly the same thing.

@Sons of Horus - Me a Luna Wolf!? :eek pah! Turncoats.... Back in the unification wars, let me tell you. You wouldn't get marines wandering around.....ramble, ramble, ramble... grumble, mumble...etc :D

Anyway. This is roughly the stage that I got to in time for Salute...

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/Iacton/Blood%20Angels/Wip6.jpg

I was quite happy at the time, but since then I have decided to add a few more final highlights to the armour, and also possibly some bolter shells on the ground, plus some more directional lighting/shadow to the base.

I have also added a BA freehand to the bolt pistol casing, and finished of the scroll ends since the pics were taken.

Should get the last amendments done and the model photographed at some point over the weekend.

Cheers <_<

Iacton...you suck, and should never paint again.

:)

OK...seriously: Your model looks really good. I like the fact that the gold is a little on the yellow side (like mine usually is), as it compliments the deep red very well. You might think about bringing the highlights up a couple of stages on the upper chest (collar area), and arms. Try mixing a light yellow ochre into the red for the highlights near the face. Also, you might glaze a little deep red on the lower sides of the helmet...gold would reflect the red armor. It doesn't have to be much.

Overall, very nice mini!

sorry?! And not in bold??!!?? Methinks your account was hacked Mr Lunch! :devil:

Anyway. I've "finished" him now. I added a couple of highlghts here and there and there's a few details now that weren't on the WIP threads

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/Iacton/Blood%20Angels/P4110002.jpg

There's full views going up in the HoH

Cheers :P

Archived