abaddon's retinue

chrac

I was wondering what to give the 4 termy retinue that will accompany abaddon in a landraider. The usual combi-weapons seem unnecessary, as abaddon will probably slaughter anything he can get near. Would folks recommend just leaving the retinue bare to provide cheap ablative wounds? Maybe a heavy flamer to soften up an ork mob before the charge?

Remember, it isn't really a retinue. They are only ablative wounds vs shooting. In CC they only protect him from units that are in base to base with only them and are so forced to attack them. But it is actually a bad idea to put terminators with them as they are not fearless, and so if they get beaten up and forced to fall back he'll fall back with them. So really you are better off putting him with berserkers. If you do want the terminators for fluff reasons i suggest Icon of chaos glory and enough mean CC weapons to ensure that they will win. So a couple fists atleast, and maybe some claws.

Well the Heavy Flamer will almost always make its poitns back.

In addition taking 2 Combi-Meltas are always a good idea, remember if you pop the transport and are in charge range you can charge whatever was inside it.

Also I think a CF is a good investment as well for two reasons.

1. Str 8 is great against vehicles, but against LRs and Dreads the chainfist is a godsent and

2. In case Abby is downed the squad still has a str 8 weapon.

And of course you need to take the IOCU, as you dont want your uber character running away cause your squad got scared (Unlikely, but still possible)

For fluff's sake, do you treat Abaddon's elite bodyguard as ablative wounds for him? Madness.

You reckon they could possibly lose a combat with a character second only to a being like a C'tan? Then you've charged something a way too hard to kill.

They're Abby's bodyguard, I'd give them all claws & fists at least, just for demonstrating their power.

Using Abaddon and retinue can't be for any other than fluff reasons, naked termies won't make it look that fluffy.

Yes, they're a big point sink, but a damn cool one.

ps: My termies have never, ever ran, and I use them in every single game I play :D

For his "retinue", get the most tooled up Terminator squad you can and make them ALL Champions.

And if you're feeling extra fluffy, add an Icon of "Khorne" to represent their Elite-ness ;)

Give them all 2 LCs as well. With 4 Khorne TLC Termy Champions, you get 6 attacks on the charge EACH.

For his "retinue", get the most tooled up Terminator squad you can and make them ALL Champions.

And if you're feeling extra fluffy, add an Icon of "Khorne" to represent their Elite-ness :)

Give them all 2 LCs as well. With 4 Khorne TLC Termy Champions, you get 6 attacks on the charge EACH.

I've leave it with chaos glory. Fluffier, and better not to have to worry about abbadon getting swept.

Coolest thing would be 3 Lords (Kh/Ng/Sl) and 1 Sorcerer (Tz /w chaos wind) of each mark with their god's respective daemon weapons and TDA...apoc only I suppose :D

second to that: 1 termie w/hyv flamer + chainfist, 3 /w twin LCs, all champions, IoCU

Coolest thing would be 3 Lords (Kh/Ng/Sl) and 1 Sorcerer (Tz /w chaos wind) of each mark with their god's respective daemon weapons and TDA...apoc only I suppose :D

Except Sorcerors can't have Daemon Weapons.

I would recomend NEVER put Abby with Terminators. I learnt the hard way once and lost a combat round thanks to Abby rolloing a 1 on his Deamon weapon and then rolled 11 on my rout we got cut down and removed from play how embarasing!!. I would go with the Zerkers myself with 8 Zerkers and Abby running out of a LR it's brown trouser time for the Enemy.

You will probably lose most games anyway by putting half of your points into a 9 man delivery system. Most players with any sence will mostly ignore Abby and go for objectives or take the LR out 1/2 turn, then that huge point sink of Abby and co will be next to useless slowly foot slogging and getting shot at distance. There are far to many Melta weapons out there for 250 point tanks to be effective imho.

I love the idea of a LR with Abby but I have never seen a Chaos player pull it off in our club and we have 6-7 Chaos Players, most of us would sooner take 2 deamon princes with wings for the same cost as Abby sad but true I'm afraid:(.

I chose a fun unit for my upcoming tournament along these lines, though I went overboard. Abaddon + 10 terminators (that count as Troops for the tournament). Upgrades out the wazoo, though I'm torn between undivided and slaanesh, simply because they could slaughter their way through anything. Opponents won't be able to ignore that.

Archived