Sisters in need of touching up

I recently looked back at my Sisters of Battle, and I realized that, in more ways than one, they still need work. Looking at these photos, can any of you think of ways in which I can touch up or improve my paint jobs?

Canonesses:

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t227/LoNCman/DSCN0713.jpg

Sisters:

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t227/LoNCman/DSCN0698.jpg

Zealots:

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t227/LoNCman/DSCN0716.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t227/LoNCman/DSCN0722.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t227/LoNCman/DSCN0717.jpg

Inquisitor:

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t227/LoNCman/DSCN0700.jpg

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated, especially for my Zealouts.

My first piece of advice would be to dust them off before attempting to repaint or touch up anything... you really don't want dust particles in your paint.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with you painting, i'd do it a bit differently, but then I have a very different painting style than you do...

All i'll recommend, is that you keep pushing to improve your painting skill, you'll see that after a few months of working to improve your technique the older models will look sub-par. Don't feel bad about this, its all a part of the learning curve, and that curve NEVER ends.

Funniest. Title. Ever.

It was purely unintentional, I swear. :lol:

My first piece of advice would be to dust them off before attempting to repaint or touch up anything... you really don't want dust particles in your paint.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with you painting, i'd do it a bit differently, but then I have a very different painting style than you do...

All i'll recommend, is that you keep pushing to improve your painting skill, you'll see that after a few months of working to improve your technique the older models will look sub-par. Don't feel bad about this, its all a part of the learning curve, and that curve NEVER ends.

Hmm, that's reassuring. But then I guess I'm just a perfectionist... :rolleyes:

"Hmm, that's reassuring. But then I guess I'm just a perfectionist... "

Believe me, I know what you mean. I just got back into painting warhammer stuff after not playing for 8 years. I was still painting minis, mostly reaper and confrontation...but now I look back at the stuff I used to do and say to myself "how on earth did I think I did a good job on that one..."

It WAS a good job at the time, I just got better... Besides, it's a good sign if your more critical of your stuff than others are.

On a note, your skin tones could use some work, and the armor could use a bit more highlighting...you seem to have shadows & dirt okay (esp on the winged cannoness), but you may want to make the edges of the armor a little bit lighter than the primary shade (or more solid color rather than drybrushed if the armor is pure white already...or use a very light grey as the base color). The inquisitor especially could use a lot more shading and highlighting over all.

There are a couple of good turorials on this board for painting faces and skin...I tend to use a lot of different techniques for faces depending on the model....some work, some don't.

On a side note, are those House Escher models you're using for zealots?

Well to give you an idea, heres a picture of one of my Veteran Sister Superiors, please bare in mind that I have had these for the best part of 6 months before even reaching for my paint brush... and even after all that time considering different paint combinations, im still not completly happy with them....

gallery_36925_3457_1043231.jpg

Well, keep in mind (if it is the white armor that is a problem), White is one of the hardest color schemes to pull off. Even harder than black....black looks "okay" if all you do is just splash some black paint on it, put a different color on the trim, and leave it at that...white on the other hand just looks too clean...and it is hard to make it even look not so clean without going overboard. It's also a pain to highlight, becuase you have to have the right combinations of undercoat and base color to apply it to...all depending on if you want a warmer shade of white, or cool. Someone suggested using light grey (base) /ice blue (mid tone) /white (sort of glazed on and highlighting) to get a decent shade of white that looks white without getting the 'white-out" that obscures all of the details.

That sister superior looks good. The blue wash perhaps stands out a little too much, but then, I usually black-line all of the shadows and edges on my minis. I would post a pic, but my fiances camera won't talk to my computer, and she has her computer with her all the time. I also try to avoid white minis, though I have some World Eaters that have bits and peices of pre-heresy colors...

Here is a thread on the relic forums from someone who does black templars.

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=154683

how the white came out isn't actually my problem with them, its almost imporrible to get it right, so for table top level painting, I rarely bother trying to perfect it, I instead concentrate on making it look 'acceptable'.

What bothers me is I was shooting for fairly equal parts white, red and black on the mini... red and white I got... but black seems to be a bit lacking. Of course, now i've painted a unit of them im not going to repaint them... it was just a point I was trying to make for the OP about how things rarely ever seem good enough to the one who is painting them.

OKay, I see what you mean Mal. I think that is a pretty good mini... and this is where you are more critical of it than I:

I think that as you have it painted, it is a very well balanced, solid color scheme and a good paint job; adding an equal amount of black to the red/white might seem a little too 'busy' and unbalance the overall look. A matter of preference.

Couple of questions for Erasmus...

Are there specific things about your paint job that you are unhappy with? Or is it more of a general dissatisfaction....if it's general, you may want to start listing specific things to yourself at least. Figuring out what those are will help a lot when looking at what you need to do to improve a painting. I usually don't go back and repaint a mini once it's done...I just try to figure out what specifically I am unhappy with and try different techniques and schemes on the next ones. It also makes a good way to compare how much you have improved. If you don't isolate what you are really unhappy with, sometimes you forget something you were happy with and did right.

Something else I would mention, is that "if" you are completely unhappy with a particular miniatures scheme, you may want to strip the paint (Simple Green is pretty effective if it is legal where you live) rather than layer more paint on...more layers of paint will start to obscure details. Stripping a mini is not something I would normally recommend, and while I found simple green to be really effective, it is difficult to get ALL of the paint off (especially in the recesses).

OKay, I see what you mean Mal. I think that is a pretty good mini... and this is where you are more critical of it than I:

I think that as you have it painted, it is a very well balanced, solid color scheme and a good paint job; adding an equal amount of black to the red/white might seem a little too 'busy' and unbalance the overall look. A matter of preference.

Couple of questions for Erasmus...

Are there specific things about your paint job that you are unhappy with? Or is it more of a general dissatisfaction....if it's general, you may want to start listing specific things to yourself at least. Figuring out what those are will help a lot when looking at what you need to do to improve a painting. I usually don't go back and repaint a mini once it's done...I just try to figure out what specifically I am unhappy with and try different techniques and schemes on the next ones. It also makes a good way to compare how much you have improved. If you don't isolate what you are really unhappy with, sometimes you forget something you were happy with and did right.

Something else I would mention, is that "if" you are completely unhappy with a particular miniatures scheme, you may want to strip the paint (Simple Green is pretty effective if it is legal where you live) rather than layer more paint on...more layers of paint will start to obscure details. Stripping a mini is not something I would normally recommend, and while I found simple green to be really effective, it is difficult to get ALL of the paint off (especially in the recesses).

WHOA, lots of replies in my absence! Sorry for taking so long to remember this thread.

Specifically, Surreal, now that I think about it, I can't think of anything in particular that I'm unsatisfied about with my Sisters (aside from blotchiness of colour here and there, which are easily fixable). What I am somewhat still unsatisfied with are my Zealots: when I look at them arrayed with the rest of my Sisters, they just look too dark and low-toned, colour wise. I've been contemplating how to touch them up and add a little more colour to them without detracting from their suitably "lower class hiver" appearance.

And as to your earlier question...yep, they're Eschers (mixed in with Sisters of Sigmar from the Mordheim range.)

@Solax: The Inquisitor is based off of the special character Bertha Bestraufung from Mordheim. She should be available from Special Games order.

Well, mainly, just some hightlighing and shadow would do a lot for your Zealots, especially on the skin tones. Its the skintone that I immediatly notice when I look at them, since most of them show more skin than clothing/armor. Washes are a good way to "dirty" things once the paint job itself is done, without taking too much away from brightness. I would also suggest some more varied hair color on the models with hair. Also, you should match the shade of blue you used with your sisters, then leave it as is, or; either use a wash to make it look a little dirty (not too much wash), or actually paint dirt, grime, and stains onto the edges of the clothing.

As a side note, those Sisters of Sigmar would also make good Repentia conversions.

Archived