Soul Grinder

djkest

Did 3 searches, couldn't find a similar topic. So soul grinders are obviously huge. I was thinking of ways to make them a little smaller, and also thinking of ways to make a cool looking custom soul grinder.

Anway, first idea was to cut down the stumpy base part and make a SG with 4 legs instead of 6. I think it would look pretty cool. Some people might consider this cheating though, since it makes the model have a smaller (1" shorter length") footprint.

2nd idea was to use all the extra legs in the SG kit, and a bloodthirster torso and head to make a big upright soul grinder. It would kind of look like a large cross between a sentinal and a bloodthirster. This would easily fit on a 60mm base, but then people would really start to moan I'm thinking- 60mm base, while being large (and the same size that an ironclad or ven dred is on), is smaller than the footprint of a normal soul grinder.

Then again, there is no set base size- it's very irregularly shaped to begin with- and 60mm is still "big" for 40k. What say you?

Have you seen Master Chaplain Astador's bipedal soulgrinders? I'll see if I can find a link of you haven't, they're very good.

However, is that your only reason? To cut down the base size and make deep striking easier? 'cos if it is then don't bother, it's not a good move mate, we already have problems with people thinking all daemon players are cheaters, don't give them more reasons to say it.

biped grinders? thats an interesting one.....

As far as all daemons are cheaters....how so?? How is an army so vulnerable to dakka, so vulnerable to armour, so vulnerable to skimmers, so random and so unpredictable be condsidered....cheating? Dual lash rhino plague-marine + mass oblits. Now that's an army that deserves some brow beating.

Alright, alright, i guess fateweaver and crushers borders on broken too

biped grinders? thats an interesting one.....

As far as all daemons are cheaters....how so?? How is an army so vulnerable to dakka, so vulnerable to armour, so vulnerable to skimmers, so random and so unpredictable be condsidered....cheating? Dual lash rhino plague-marine + mass oblits. Now that's an army that deserves some brow beating.

Alright, alright, i guess fateweaver and crushers borders on broken too

Fateweaver and the Crushers are stupid slow and get spanked by Dreadnoughts, not cheesy.

Daemon players aren't cheaters, WC are cheaters, remember the 'Ard Boyz?

I think a biped soul grinder would be pretty cool. It says in the codex that soul grinders are made from wrecked vehicles and defilers. However all soul Grinders that just use the kit are based on defilers. I wonder why a wrecked sentinal or drednaught has not been used? Well, drednaught legs would be all short and stumpy and useless. I was going to try and make a bipedal SG with bloodthirster parts, until I realized just how small a bloodthirster is compared to an SG.

gallery_39431_3452_21696.jpg

Here's a mock-up of the height of a bipedal SG. Obviously it would have 2 legs if I made one.

gallery_39431_3452_25246.jpg

It doesn't have the ooomph because it only has one leg and one arm :) But if you want to see some 'grinder/tank hybrids, I recommend you have a look at some of owlandmoonguys work, he had a thread in here a while back, you might have to go back a page or two. Or with any luck he'll see this and post it for you.

Remember those old Possessed vehicles in the 3.5 CSM book, basically a Predator or similar with a big Daemon face coming out of it? That would be an awesome Soul Grinder.

I'm not a huge fan of the SG torso coming out of a Rhino Chassis, for instance. But it definately makes sense fluffwise. I only have one of those legs, which is why I only showed one in the mock-up. I have the other arm on him now, do you wnat me to take a pic of that? ^_^

We'll see if I actually do this. I'd probably add some large plates, steel rods, or something to really bulk up those legs if I did it. The plastic SG torso is so light I'm not too worried about it.

Archived