Forge World Tank Preference

Ok where to start. I have idle ideas all the time so this is just a idea poking thread, bypass if your not bored. =)

I was thinking with the upcoming IG codex, that I would make up a custom Forgeworld based army of a dubious type. It has no leman russes, thus streamlining production of the Chimera Chassis, but they have no Chimeras. I wont decide the troops yet, but I would like to toss my idea here to see what you fellas think.

Theme: Scaley, Snake, Lizard, Dragon, Dinosaur(raptor) named vehicles, color scheme and armor plate feel. (Cut up a bunch of scales using a bent paper-hole puncher on card paper and layer on my troops =P) Sounds easy, my vehicle choice is:

Gorgon:

Yes that big fat transport thats as big as a baneblade and can carry a whole platoon of men. I like the idea, I like the name... Gorgons in legend, if you stare one in the eye you turn to stone, like two other legendary critters later mentioned. For tactical reference, I assume the gorgon is a mobile bunker/HQ/transport/repair bay/munitions bunker on top of all the other uses.

Medusa:

Yeah, its the bunker buster and a longer range demolisher cannon. I like it, its name also has a stone-stare critter to be named after and after staring one of these tanks in the eye, you wish you were stone. Or stoned~... (=p) Able to hit the most difficult parts, I figure I would run these things with enclosed compartments. A front line tank needs to be armored, and since I'm not using lemans it goes double for a 36" range vehicle.

Basilisk:

Alright so there are a ton of different basilisks in legend, some being snakey-scaley and sumsuch, one of the lesser critters known to turn things to stone/paralyse with just a glance. Its the bread and butter, the artillery which the company relies on. Not sure if I want to enclose it, but for theme's sake I think I will. It has a supposed 'synergy' with the Salamander noted later.

Salamander:

Right, some worlds its a firebreathing monster, others its a water dweller. One thing is for sure, I will treat it like a spotter for my basilisks fire. Being fast, and a scout tank its armaments arent that bad. A fast attack, and hence I wont be using hellhounds (too short of range for the style) then it grinds down to a few per company. A utility vehicle more then anything, like the gorgon.

Hydra Flak Tank:

Got to have anti air and lucky me its a hydra. Cool tank, cool guns and a heavy bolter in addition so it feels like an exterminator in some respects with longer range autos and the all-important role of anti aircraft. A must have, but probly not seen everywhere.

I know th chimera is a three headded monster with a snake for a tail, and at first hearing the word you think of a scaley thing but it doesnt fit the theme. If anything the vehicles will cross open water stripped of the weapons and re-armed, or just transported inside a gorgon fully equipped. (Modified gorgon)

I tried looking up the Ragnarok, but I find no rules for it so I cant go with a somewhat Jormagundr-norse style end of days feel. The main weapons theme for the troops will be autoguns (fangs/claws=bullets, no lasers). So Autocannons and Missile Launchers are a go, flamers as well and perhaps meltas but no plasma. (Even if plasma is like a spitting cobra). Heavy Stubbers and Grenade Launchers being the main issue of which to pick.

Thinking of having the whole scale thing mocked up for even the tanks, grinding down the sides and layering on the scales. The cannons gridded with fangs perhaps.

Though I feel some things may be missing, I may even just pick a tank or two that have no name like the theme, and make up a name for them. Even aircraft, using the chaos autocannon fliers and just call them drakes. The one tank I am interested in is the Manticore, maybe just rename it the Python. (Long trails of smoke behind the head-rocket=snake-like, surrounding/coiling with explosion radius)

Anything to add to this? Scaley-Chimera-chassis theme artillery style force with no lasers or leman russ variants. I dont think I want a super-heavy baneblade variant, quantity of artillery over quality, while quanitity for a multi-use gorgon is its own quality. No titans or walkers either. (Sentinels were door guards in legend)

• 1 month later...

Bronze and red my friend, bronze and red. Other monsters so far not named are Echidne, Scylla, Charybdis, and Minotaur.

Echidne was the mother of all monsters, and would be a cool name for a superheavy transport like the Gorgon, only bigger yet not as big as a Leviathan. Maybe a Stormlord that is twice as big with double all its weapons and transport capacity.

Scylla was a many tentacle sea monster that could be a Chimera or Gorgon chassis bristling with weapons pointing in every direction. Not for transporting, just for area denial.

Charybdis was a huge mouth with many tiny flippers, and could be a Gorgon-styled landing craft, either amphibious or strictly water only (remember, orks have their only submarine).

Minotaurs are actually a wheel recon/command vehicle from back in 2nd Ed (I have 2 that I scratch-built from Leman Russ’s that have military-floatation tires), with a stat-line like a Rhino only with a Chimera turret and hull weapons and no transport capacity. The recon version had scout rules, while the command version had vox abilities and could re-roll calls for barrages. I can post some pictures after I take some.

SJ

Broonze wasnt their actuall colors, just the metak they used ;) . But yes greek/latin names and mythology would definitely fit imperial style. There are many more greek monsters than what we have listed, you can google greek mythological stuff to find more ides. ;)

Archived