The other Drop Pods

Warprat

Does anybody use these?

Devestators seem perfect for Drop Pods, ether deploy as normal and allow the Pod to drop empty OR a turn 1 drop to a flank where they can combine firepower with bolters/pistols from another unit to saturate the enemy unit with rapid fire. After the local area is secured, the remains of the squad will probably have all it's heavy weapons to contribute support fire elsewhere.

Thunderfire, same thing, deploy in cover or drop to an empty flank. If droped after turn 1, it would be able to escape the initial heavy weapon fire. The gun could even be declared scuttled and the tech marine used to repair a Land Raider, or Vindicator, or used to beef up a squad, if the odds are too great for the techmarine to be destoyed using the gun.

Assaults can land next to an enemy turn 1, and shoot with two flamers and pistols. Turn 2 they can assault with 3 attacks each. And the Drop Pod is free.

Some of the Drop Pods could be armed with a deathwind missle launcher. Lame that it can't be used on the turn of drop, but an empty one could be used on the reverse side of cover to help secure an area.

OK, I know what your going to say... Sternguard are all that, and a bag of chips too! But call me crazy, these options seems pretty useful to me!

Warprat ;)

I've got to think about this a bit. I have some initial thoughts but then ran into a question I don't have an answer to yet.

Can anyone answer this: If you take a Drop Pod as a Dedicated Transport does the squad have to embark on it or can it drop empty?

If you have the flexibility of using or not using a Drop Pod the options for Heavy Weapons improve a bit as you can choose to set them up for Turn 1 fire or drop them in a pod if tactically advantageous.

I'd asked this question a while ago in the rules forum, and was told that you're under no obligation to deploy inside ANY dedicated transport.

However, you must declare which at the beginningof the game. No deciding whenthe reserve roll comes up that the squad is inside it or not.

my complaint with devs in pods isn't the pods so much as the devs themselves... it's that stern with heavy weapons are better and cheaper. Thunderfire can't shoot the turn it comes down and can hit pretty much anything on the table anyway. assaults/vanguard are good choices, possibly, but also can't do much the turn they come in. I'm always looking for ways to work them assaults/vanguard into any build.

my complaint with devs in pods isn't the pods so much as the devs themselves... it's that stern with heavy weapons are better and cheaper. Thunderfire can't shoot the turn it comes down and can hit pretty much anything on the table anyway. assaults/vanguard are good choices, possibly, but also can't do much the turn they come in. I'm always looking for ways to work them assaults/vanguard into any build.

The devs do have the advantage of 4 heavies vs the 2 of the sterns, and the big guns are pretty much going to stay mostly alive until the meat shields are gone. The sterns have cheap combies, a better HtH and the various ammo, but each hit on them hurts harder. So the advantage of the devs is only good in certain situations. Sterns are better all-rounders. Giving the sterns a 2nd heavy, and Hold the Line made them too good to resist. Like I said, Sternguard are all that, and a bag of chips... but the devs are not shabby, if you don't take Kantor.

Good point about the thunderfire, but the ability to put it anywhere turn 1, has to mess with your opponents head. Its not so much what the thunderfire can hit, but what can hit the thunderfire. Deploying to a reinforced ruins or fortress would be the best, but if there is limited cover, it would be nice to have some turn 1 options. I guess it also depends on how you view the thunderfire. Is it a great techmarine with a cheap gun, or a great gun with a cheap techmarine? I think it could be either, given the right circumstance. But yeh, probably more to the gun side... techmarines are generally of limited use.

Assaults without jump packs seem stupid, but getting them to a soft target turn 1 isn't. The free pod is nice. But, of course, it really isn't free...

Warprat ;)

The devs do have the advantage of 4 heavies vs the 2 of the sterns, and the big guns are pretty much going to stay mostly alive until the meat shields are gone. The sterns have cheap combies, a better HtH and the various ammo, but each hit on them hurts harder. So the advantage of the devs is only good in certain situations. Sterns are better all-rounders. Giving the sterns a 2nd heavy, and Hold the Line made them too good to resist. Like I said, Sternguard are all that, and a bag of chips... but the devs are not shabby, if you don't take Kantor.

Assaults without jump packs seem stupid, but getting them to a soft target turn 1 isn't. The free pod is nice. But, of course, it really isn't free...

you can just do two 5-man 2-weapon sterns for cheaper than 1 10-man 4 weapon dev. Sad but true. Stern are better in every way except that extra BS point that the sarge gives to 1!! weapon in the dev squad. Even if you dont' take pedro, heavy are generally more cost-efficient slots than elite, so saving heavy slots is more cost efficient than saving elites slots.

I don't think assaults without jump packs is stupid. I think even taking the rhino has some merit. The problem with a drop pod is they are then stuck there. Against mobile armies they will likely get shot up quick.

you can just do two 5-man 2-weapon sterns for cheaper than 1 10-man 4 weapon dev. Sad but true. Stern are better in every way except that extra BS point that the sarge gives to 1!! weapon in the dev squad. Even if you dont' take pedro, heavy are generally more cost-efficient slots than elite, so saving heavy slots is more cost efficient than saving elites slots.

I don't think assaults without jump packs is stupid. I think even taking the rhino has some merit. The problem with a drop pod is they are then stuck there. Against mobile armies they will likely get shot up quick.

Yes, it is a bit sad... only thing I can counter with is that the devs could be 1 kill pt. vs 2 for the stern. And that you might want to fill your elites with dreads and/or termies.

Warprat ;)

Archived