know your foe

=chaplain=

hey everyone, i wanted to make this thread so that people could input not tactics as of space marines but of tactics used against us marines and "tricks of the trade" of other races and ways they can be overcome.

heres one of my latest encounters: 3 weeks ago i had a 1000 point game against an eldar player his army was fully infantry containing a phoeneix lord with a firepike, as i play deathwing myself i was pretty outnumbered (as usual) but i overcame that by prioritizing his key units.

one trick by the eldar player was he moved a bulk squads of dire avengers and guardins towards my land raider (the rest of my army was in reserve save for a crusader and the terminators inside) i think his intention was to make me focus on that force rather than go for his lord which he sneakily tryed to flank my land raider on its own, when it came close instead of moving my raider for 2 turns as it approached i directed all fire power at his lord as i saw his as the biggest threat, i deep striked a shooting terminator squad behind his bulk army and forced his dire avengers to divert to them. which made it alot easy to wittle down each squad.

i guess the key thing in this battle was priorotizing his lord because as im told they are very deadly in combat.

any input from you guys would be great just tell us of battle you've had and tactics used against you and how you did'nt/did overcome them.

cheers =chaplain=

i had a practice game, i had just got about 700-750 points of Tau and an ork player i knew said he would help me try them out..

He set up two 30 man ork mobs each with a warphead, and 3 coptas.

The warpheads were set up trailing each unit using a lifeline of one or two orks, that way when his head blew up he only killed a single ork (uber stilton), basically the warpheads cleared my harder untis and tanks before he got to my lines...

I handled this by packing my stuff away and questioning his ability to play a non-competative match... ^_^

If i played this list with marines id max out land speeders with heavy flamers, hed be dead in a couple of turns..

GC08

Watch those Orky Defkoptas and their sneaky Scout moves, TL Rokkits and Buzzsaws.

If they go first Turn 1 they will use their Scout move to move within 12" of your lines. Then on the Movement Phase get within assault range of a juicy vehicle target. If they don't kill it with TL Rokkits they'll assault it with 3 S7 attacks per kopta in the assault phase.

@GC08: I don't see how using a valid and frankly very common tactic is indicative of an inability to play a non-competetive game.

Well its entirely subjective but personally i thought it very un-ork like and completely full of cheddar...

GC08

@GC08: I don't see how using a valid and frankly very common tactic is indicative of an inability to play a non-competetive game.

Well its entirely subjective but personally i thought it very un-ork like and completely full of cheddar...

GC08

They're called Weirdboyz for a reason.

"Oi, dat wunz a weird wun, les stay away from 'im!"

Is it not the case that weirdboyz are just as likely to explode?

Well no.... because it is a template weapon on the Squad you allocate the wounds to the squad rather than one on the psyker and then the rest on the mob. If you think about the fact that the warpead is just spewing out warp energy that he has channelled from his buddy orks he would be more of a conduate (cant spell) than a victim.

I have yet to use a warpead (by the way I am just about to talk marine) and have it do anything useful, sure they get to re-roll their powers but regularly this leads to a more useless power. If you wanted to counter this foe all you needed was to field a librarian and force hood him, there isnt anything he can do to stop you.

For tactics against marines read star cannon spam! I hate those vile xenos!

Wan

i had a practice game, i had just got about 700-750 points of Tau and an ork player i knew said he would help me try them out..

The warpheads were set up trailing each unit using a lifeline of one or two orks, that way when his head blew up he only killed a single ork (uber stilton), basically the warpheads cleared my harder untis and tanks before he got to my lines...

I handled this by packing my stuff away and questioning his ability to play a non-competative match... ;)

If i played this list with marines id max out land speeders with heavy flamers, hed be dead in a couple of turns..

GC08

Reminds me of me? Did you shake his hand though. :D :whistling:

I handled this by packing my stuff away and questioning his ability to play a non-competative match... :whistling:

GC08

Actually one of the rolls killed 2 boys, one wound from the ork linking the weirdboy to the unit and one from the weird boy (both taken by regular boyz, gotta love wound allocation in big mobz)...

Whats quite bad is that list is not really cheesy for the orks, its the fact that half of your army was tied into a tank that got killed by a single lucky hit, this left you with far too few troops to shoot with meaning you lacked the firepower to stop the boys.

Granted my tactics were not very friendly... but they are common tactics you'll see ork players use when fielding weird boyz... Oddly enough it actually works against the ork player when it comes to combat... since the weirdboy is soo fasr to the back of the unit, he cannot close the game enough to get into combat with a pilein move... this means you get a free turn to hack the unit up without worrying about the character. Unfortunately for you, you were playing Tau... so combat was not really an option.

Now if you want to see a cheesy ork player, find someone whos taking 9 nobz on bikes with a painboy on bike and a warboss on bike... twice!! Nothing like T5 FNP 2W models who get a 4+ cover save for standing in the open.

Archived