Ultra. Ven. Dread.

Masnagj

I just thought I would post up some WIP pics of my venerable dread to see what people thought of it.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp338/Masnagj/Ultramarines%202nd%20Company/IMG_0084.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp338/Masnagj/Ultramarines%202nd%20Company/IMG_0085.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp338/Masnagj/Ultramarines%202nd%20Company/IMG_0086.jpg

Still pretty rough as a wip... but the main idea is there, I need to blend and highlight the blue as well as add the back piece on with all the exhaust pipes. I think hes coming on along pretty well....

Here is what it will look like with arms.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp338/Masnagj/Ultramarines%202nd%20Company/IMG_0087.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp338/Masnagj/Ultramarines%202nd%20Company/IMG_0088.jpg

The arms are magnetized, so I can swap them out if I want to use a different weapons load out.

Looks like you have a really good start. It seems you have pretty good brush control, as I don;t see paint bleed-over anywhere. I think, however, your primer may be doing you a disservice. It looks a little rough, but in a grainy way...not in a 'paint is too thick' way. What primer are you using?

I agree... the primer on the main torso came out very rough and textured, I had hoped that further coats would cover and "degrain" it a bit but no luck. I am currently using Armorys Black Primer.

I think the problem was I went a bit too nuts in on it causing the fuzzing. Bad lighting cause me to throw too many coats on it.

No worries...have you thought about switching to a gray, or even white primer? *not to say black primer doesn't have it's value.

Ive thought about grey and ive used white quite a bit, but something about the black makes it very easy to tell where Ive already primed for good coverage. My concern with grey primer is the whole not being able to tell where ive primed. Ive found I have a tendancy to coat the white primer to thickly and obscure details. Ill have to try each of them out again though as armory primer is much more affordable than the 15.00 a can stuff.

Personally I find a combination of Armory Grey Primer and Games Workshop Skull White Primer work well together, I have pretty much tossed out my Black Primer, the only time I use black is when I am at GW and have them prime something that specifically needs black primer, like TT Black Templars or anything with black armour.

No worries...have you thought about switching to a gray, or even white primer? *not to say black primer doesn't have it's value.

Fair enough, does the black primer just have a tendancy to fuzz more often than the others?

Fair enough, does the black primer just have a tendancy to fuzz more often than the others?

Whaaat?! No way. I have NEVER had black primer fuzz (out of about 3 cans of black GW stuff and one can of Krylon black). Yet ALL the cans of white I have EVER had (2-3, stopped after that) have either a- coated WAY too thick, or b- coated fuzzy.

Though I hear fuzzy coats are actually the result of human error - usually being too far away from the model/the weather being too damp.

/shrug

I agree... the primer on the main torso came out very rough and textured, I had hoped that further coats would cover and "degrain" it a bit but no luck. I am currently using Armorys Black Primer.

I think the problem was I went a bit too nuts in on it causing the fuzzing. Bad lighting cause me to throw too many coats on it.

I've compared Armory and GW primers side by side to tell if it was worth the extra $$ for GW primer. And it totally is. I've stripped and primed 10+ models because of the grainy/chalky look of Armory primer.

Conclusion, I won't be using Armory Primer anymore. (Either white or black). Now to test out Tamiya....

Tamiya product is very good, but you should be careful if its your first time with the stuff...it does not coat quite the way you are used to with GW, Krylon, or Armory type paints. Also, I would highly recomend the Mr Resin Primer from Mr Hobby...very very nice on the GW resins

I really like the superfine tamiya sandable primers but I find they do take getting used to. The spray comes out in a sort of different mist and it can be easy to get primer pooling in spots before you know it. gotta take it real slow with that stuff and do really even, light coats.

Commander Y (for those of you who don't know him, he used to be one of the master painters and moderators around here) once explained to me that the fuzz effect on primer comes from primering in a humid environment. Since then I've always made sure to primer when it's as dry as possible and I've never had the problem again.

So not necessarily human error, but rather environmental error.

The thing that is confusing to me is that I actually did the priming indoors, and it still came out fuzzed. I used the same can on a squad of fire warriors and it came out nice and smooth. Im not really sure why the primer didnt like the inside of my house, I would have thought the outdoors would be less forgiving.

I've also been told that if you take the can of primer and hold it in your armpit or put it in a bowl of warm water for a few minutes before priming, it'll come out a whole lot nicer. We prime in the basement and use a crawlspace like a massive spray box, so our cans get pretty chilly overnight!

Perhaps you didn't shake it enough one time?

I generally shake the primer can for approx 5 min or so before spraying shaking the can upside down. Just to make sure the paint is good and mixed. Im not sure what went wrong with the black. Ill have to give it another shot at some point and see the results indoors and out.

cool dread with a nice weathered effect on the paint :lol:

Thank you, It was actually rather easy to achieve. I dont plan on weathering the whole dread, but I thought the feet apropriate, as he would be trudging through dirt and mud so the paint would be less than pristine. I dont think I did the metal all that well, I think it would look a bit better if I did a coat of black first and then went back over the black with the silver allowing some of the black to show through.

This would lend to the illusiong that the blue and the silver were on different layers instead of looking flat.

I definalty chalk this one up to human error.

It's an easy mistake to make, especially if you haven't read the Games Workshop's article on using Spray Primer (Which, defying all senses of reality, is actually quite good!).

You can touch up spots without any Spray Primer with a watered-down Skull White, lightly applied over any hard-to-get-to areas, as opposed with trying to get at them with the Spray Primer - I can only guess that this is what you did?

You can find that article right here, if you haven't seen it already.

Otherwise, it is a very nice looking Dreadnought so far!

Give that article a read, though, so that next time, it'll come out perfect!

- Blood Raven

Archived