games-workshop doing primarch's

fonejaker

Hi

I saw something whilst walking in one of my local games-workshop stores (not going to give its location). it was on one of the painting tables and as soon as i saw two thing i had to have a closer look, the two words where PRIMARCH and CAMPAIN. I did not get time to have a good look at what it said but i could be a upcoming campaign that games-workshop are running. In a total sense of ":cuss, this is something like the missing link of warhammer" i asked one of the staff that I'm a close friend with what is this. The reply was something a long the lines of "there the rules for the primarch's, we only have a bit they have still to send us the rest". But I'm sure they are real due to it having all of the games-workshop logo's and symbols that are in all of the books.

so could this be a new "update" or a "campaign", but what ever they do i'm sure this thread will lead to a lot of great idea's for you guys. :unsure:

I can honestly say that I do not want primarchs is the game. The rules system in use now would not do well. How enraged would you be to see a primarch, who for all intents and purposes is a demi-god, brought down by tau pulse rifles. Or a lucky round of shooting from a gaurd command squad, or in CC by an ork nob with a power claw, whose boys seem eager to die in his place? I just don't see how to balance the game with them in, and don't want everything I know and love about primarchs shattered by a sub par set of rules.

It's probably the Tempus Fugitives HH campaign at Nottingham this summer. It's a weekend event, run by a Gaming club but sort of endorsed by GW

Yes, that is what it is most likely to be. GW allow Tempus to run these things, and a darn good move too. If you can't make it to this one, wait till May...out comes a Heresy pack, and even rules for Horus!

More than likely, it is the campaign you folks have in the UK. However, a few years back thier was a campaign pack that was actually for the use of Primarchs. This was to be released around the visions of heresy art books, but never really took off. It contained pivotal battles between Primarchs, and the Emperor. There were actual stat and rule lines for the Primarchs. It was scrapped as an idea soon after it was placed, due to the fact that thier was such a negative feedback from the gaming community.

I would hope they would bring the Primarchs into the game, especially as a way to boost sales in a recession. I really don't see the point in people moaning about seeing Primarchs in games. It's the same as special characters. If you hate them, then don't play them and don't play people who use them. Why should there be a gap in the game that other players have to make do with just because some players don't like it.

I would love a Primarch model that I could occassionally use. I doubt it would ever happen though.

I disagree wholeheartedly. Unless they are for a 30k ruleset, I say no. Especially since we have 'counts-as' for special characters.

In 40k, half the Primarchs are dead. How does that balance well if say and Iron Warriors or Word Bearers force gets to take a primarch (as well as the same options) as a Night Lords or Alpha Legion army (I know Alpharius might not be dead, but bear with me). Also, on the loyalist side of things, the only Primarchs who might still be wandering around are Khan, Vulkan, Russ, and Corax. So those armies would be the only ones allowed as it makes no sense that Corax would show up and say "Sorry, Raven Guard, but I'm gonna go kick it with <random chapter> instead of you guys."

If they are restricted to 30k armies, and that means actual pre-Heresy armies, I'm alright with that. I just don't want to see a long dead Horus, who happens to have Lash of Submission, showing up with Black Legion Bezerkers, Plaguemarines, and Obliterators.

The Primarchs can return easily enough. Any fictional writer can bring them back with a little thought and Daemon Primarchs are still about. Hell, Horus body was cloned post Heresy.

Count as exists as we see now. Why is a count as Mentor Legion Calgar any stranger than a count as Primarch? We know that count as works great for the lower level characters, but the likes of Calgar are so specific that I don't see anyone doing it at the moment.

And why shouldn't everyone have the fun? Like I said, it's their hobby to do as they please. If I wanted to and my opponent agreed I could field a Space Marines force lead by Ghazghull as a count as. May be distasteful for some, but hey that's tough. (not that I would personally do such a thing)

Well, there might be some primarchs coming into the game. We already see one active one, Angron. He is uber hench, and if you blink when you face him, you're dead. So I hope they bring them in, though the only ones that would be playable are Chaos ones, as the loyalist ones are injured or away till the Wolftime/Time of Ending.

I'm sorry but a new member comes in here and says this. He also won't tell us where it was. Seems silly to me. Tell me where so I can give the store a call and ask them. I mean if they left it out than it isn't secret knowledge so I am willing to bet they would throw some info at me.

I seriously doubt all of this. As has been said TF has been working on an awesome set of rules that will likely get some GW employees playing with such armies so maybe that is what you saw. Otherwise without some info I am calling bull poopy or wishful thinking.

With that said the part I cannot believe is the "Campaign" part. GW is having the release of a 40K(not 30K)supplement called Planet Strike released this July and thus the fact they have anything 30K seems off. Also I have not seen anything about this from reliable sources. There are about 8 people on the internet who say things without proof and you know it is fairly accurate. Until one of them throws this out I am going to keep going that you are mistaken or trying to get people talking.

However an official GW 30K series would rock. Some MK III-V models fully done and some characters would be a fun tool for us heresy gamers. However the Primarchs do NOT belong in the current game system be it 30 or 40K. If we moved to a D10 system then maybe, but really you either have to make them silly powerful or silly killable. TF has done a fairly good job on theirs but in reality they are just a powerful Master with some cool rules and wargear.

i for one do not want the primarchs back. most loyalists are dead, the rest are either missing or injured beyond recovery. the traitors are all daemon princes who can kill whole armies alone. how in the world would you manage to make fair rules for these beasts of men. it just doesn't make sense. primarch models would be acceptable as long as they seriously look great but official rules!?!? no way!!

@ captain idaho

you said that you wanna play primarchs and that you shouldn't have to suffer because of people like me. well that's why you can now make your own data sheets for them. check the homegrown rules section here on the B&C or if you don't like them then make your own.

i'd take a few of them back, just to even the battlefields...

"so you got angron, i got russ. bring it traitor!"

and if the other daemon primarchs got off their rears and stopped letting s 1st captain have all the fun i might actually fear a black crusade again.

WLF

If it were restricted to something like apocalypse, I could see people being okay with seeing primarchs, especially if rules are given for making the "lost primarchs". In a normal game, absolutely not, because some bleeding idiot will think it's funny to take Gulliman and two 5 man sniper squads as his 1000 point army... and if they're as powerful as they are in the fluff, well, no one wants to see that.

@ captain idaho

you said that you wanna play primarchs and that you shouldn't have to suffer because of people like me. well that's why you can now make your own data sheets for them. check the homegrown rules section here on the B&C or if you don't like them then make your own.

I sense you took my post as slightly more of a personaly attack than was intended. I was clumsily trying to show the other side of the fence, as for everyone who says no there is someone who says yes!

Incidently, I'm not the best modeller in the world, so I really need an official model made for me :)

doesnt seem like it'd be a great idea, i guess you can give em the eternal warrior rule for sure for sure, and it should be 30k so they could all be used, i would like to see the official rules and compare em to the ones made here.

The best one were made by Tempus Fugitives. They even have rules for how even if the Primarch's lose their last wound, they dont 'die' but become an objective so they can be recovered. Pretty sweet stuff, by far their rules are both balanced AND fair.

I think it won't happen, or if it did, as mentioned, it would be a set aside 30K thing. I do think it would be high comedy (but totally unlikely) if somehow they brought them back and allowed SM players to work them into their lists....imagine the whining about the use of special characters, now multiply that by 100...fun for all.

Archived