Terminator Chaplain

travh20

I just picked up a Terminator Chaplain. Now, I love chaplains, their fluff, the cool models, so I had to get him. However, since the nerfing, are they wroth the points? I plan on putting them in a LRC with some assault termies. The re roll of missed to hit rolls on the charge is big, and so is the fearless, but with loss of an extra attack due to having a storm bolter, and the sad, sad nerf hit they took, should I bother with a termie chaplian or just put my regular power armor chaplain in there?

I always ask myself "what does a terminator chaplain give me that Cassius doesn't?" The terminator costs 5 more points and has a 2+ save, oh and you can teleport on but you already said he was going to be in a land raider. Cassius has FNP, Toughness 6, 1 more hand to hand attack, and a master crafted combi flamer with hellfire rounds. Why wouldn't you take Cassius instead?

Has anyone tried mixing close combat weapons with the Termie chaplain, mixing his power weapon with a powerfist while expensive could give you the option to choose to either use initiative or strong attacks. I don't have my codex with me so I can't check if a termie chappy can take a powerfist so someone will have to clarify this.

No power fist if you have terminator armour. One of the major drawbacks of terminator armour is that you give up all choices save combi-weapons and a storm bolter, and you pay a lot of points for it. Cassius is cheaper than a normal chaplain with the same equipment while not only having better versions of the same equipment a normal chaplain gets (and on top of that keeping his pistol), but also having better stats too (I think someone seriously underpriced that bugger... typical GW error, probably done by the same guy that put a normal shield for a chaos general at 5 points more than an enchanted shield... sometimes I wonder whether GW even :lol: bothers with proofreading at all.). On top of that, you give up one attack by taking terminator armour. And what do you get in return? An increase of the armour save by 1 point. What's the point I ask you? And the answer is that there is none, except that the model is pretty cool (it is, in fact, hands down the best chaplain model there is, with the jump-pack chaplain following as a close 2nd).

I bought the model, but I never use it (I just converted my own Cassius to go with my assault terminators) because it's too expensive and those 2 attacks in any turn after the charge are just plain pathetic for an icon of what Space Marines live, fight and die for (even a normal squad sergeant does a better job at killing than a chaplain, especially when the chaplain is around who, while supposedly inspiring his brothers to righteous fury, shows a rather uninspiring battle performance himself).

So if you go for coolness - terminator chaplain is the best you can get.

If you go for points efficiency, a normal chaplain, or even better still, Cassius.

Archived