AoBR Dread conversion

tn_gallery_40651_3480_592450.jpg

tn_gallery_40651_3480_784130.jpg

I never liked the ideas of Dreadnoughts; the idea of a mostly dead bloke in a fridge just didn't seem like a good way to run a miniature tank.

Furthermore, anyone who has ever tried to build a bipedal walker, as I did from Lego aged 13, then again as part of an electronics/robotics degree, will tell you how unfeasible and unstable it would be.

As such, I never fancied one. I was persuaded into trying one, and am now sold on their field value, so I have tried to develop a model I'm happy with. Plus a friend and I bought 2 x AoBR, him for Orcs, so now I have 2!

Tristen, and its soon partner Isolde, are remote control units, after modern day bomb disposal droids. Keeps me happy!

Played as normal dread, will be mounted on usual base when finished.

Airfix 1:76 Vickers light tank mkVI for bottom, I debated for a while where to chop the waist, settling for the exact height of the removed legs, in case anyone has LoS issues.

Isolde will probably be twisted to the other side, for symmetrical photos!

C&C? Hope I haven't offended too many DreadHeads!

Sorry, I haven't got the hang of image posting. These should be on view in my gallery too.

The group I play in takes a fairly relaxed attitude to modelling, so I proxy it as a normal Dread.

For personal justification, I consider it to have the advantages and traits of a walker rather than a tank due to its small size; The power to weight ratio and small footprint would enable it to twist on the spot fast, to allow for the front armour rule in CC; for highly realistic source footage, I refer you to Wall:E and Sir Killalot from Robot wars... :devil:

While looking for the lower half, I wanted to find one that came within 65mm for the base; there was a lack of really wide tanks that were short enough.

What's more, I wanted the CCW to be able to reach its victims! (I say, old bean, jump up here on my running boards so that I can wallop you, there's a good chap!) A wider wheelbase would have caused problems with stumpy arms! Maybe Penitent engine arms would help.

The difficult terrain issue works for me as well; it's not as powerful as a tank at ploughing through fences, so infantry rules suit it better.

Ultimately, this is a dilettante attempt at resolving my dislike of walkers, and like a lot of my modelling, to experiment with fun ideas! :P

Archived