Fate Crusher

DevianID

Hi all, I was wondering--of the daemon generals here, what is your stance on Fate Crusher? Also, is there other tourney builds that perform better than fate crusher?

For those unaware, Fate Crusher is a daemon build that uses Fateweaver with many bloodcrushers. The reroll save from Fateweaver makes everything nearby as close to invincible as it gets. A typical list at 1500 might be:

Fateweaver

8 Bloodcrushers with all upgrades (for wound allocation ala nob bikers)

1x5 plague bearers

1x5 horror with changeling and bolt

1x8 plaguebearer with icon

3 grinders with either s8 ap3 blast or s10 ap1--depending on prefrence

Obviously the idea is that very few people will be able to kill the daemons fast enough, and once the crushers assault then its over. Dreads are killed by fateweaver, the horrors, or the grinders, to open up the way for the bloodcrushers--and other than dreads there is not much that can beat bloodcrushers.

I know some other units are popular (fiends of slanesh) but they tend to lose to other 'cheesed' lists; while this one has fewer bad metagames thanks to the resiliancy. Is there a more effective build, or is fatecrusher at the top for tourney play?

Well, Crushers are death to anything. This lists biggest weakness is Fateweaver, who even with a rerollable 3++ is only T5 and thus easily bought down by sustained firepower. Also, I think your troops would lack the resiliance they need for objective holding.

Honestly, you'd never catch me playing that army at a tourny. You basically have no scoring units, and you basically have what? Two units that take advantage the good oracle.

Now, a better Fateweaver list (imo) would be this:

Fateweaver,

a few fiends,

a fair amount of plaguebearers,

some princes (preferable winged Nurgle ones, problem is they cost a lot).

With this list, the idea is that Kairos and the princes go up in a 'V' formation and tear the heart out of the enemy while the fiends pick off fire support units. The enemy has to take out the MCs (if he can) and Nurgle princes with re=rollable saves are not gonna die any time soon. Even so, I'm not sure it's all that great of a list.

the Idea of the Nurgle princes with re-roll saves seems a little better..

Nurgle princes are very hard to kill, and with the re-roll saves.. it's just evil..

Altough Crushers can destroy almost everything they assault.. problem is to have enough troops to still be able to score some objectives with such lists

Crushers destroy what they assault, but who's stupid enough to let them assault you? Crushers move 6" and have ridiculously large bases, so you either have to risk mishapping or taking dangerous terrain or deploy in open terrain. Crushers can't kill Dreads and other AV12+ walkers, Crushers are slow as hell, and Crushers are slow as hell.

A Mech army will have a field day with that build as you have nothing to hurt tanks and they can avoid your non-scoring uber unit all day.

If I'm running Fateweaver, it's with Tzeentch DPs, Horrors, Seekers, Flamers, and Fiends. It's much more mobile, capable against mech, and still hits plenty hard.

Bloodcrushers are like Nob Bikers and Monoliths, scary on paper and great for smashing noobs and people who don't know how to counter them, but laughably easy to handle once you've figured them out.

If I were to build a list for tournaments, I'd go with some big heavy hitters. I think Bloodthirsters are pretty much the essential in any assault army, and seeing as daemons are primarily assault, I'd rather use them. I've been playing around with some lists, and here's one I came up with.

HQ

Bloodthirster x2

-Unholy Might

Elite

Bloodcrusher x3

-Fury of Khorne

Troops

Plaguebearers x10

-Insturment

Plaguebearers x10

Heavy Support

Soul Grinder

-Phlegm

Soul Grinder

-Tongue

Daemon Prince

-Wings

-Iron Hide

-Unholy Might

-Mark of Khorne

Just something I came up with quick. Aren't most tournies 1850 now, though? With 1850 you could do a lot more... I like my heavy hitters, and I'd even be tempted to throw in another DP or 2 and have 5 winged monstrous creatures to descend upon the enemy. I've never run this list, seeing as I only have one Bloodthirster model. But it's tempting to try out... For 1850, I've run this a number of times...

HQ

Bloodthirster

-Unholy Might

Great Unclean One

-Aura of Decay

-Breath of Chaos

Elite

Bloodcrusher x4

-Fury of Khorne

Troops

Bloodletters x15

-Instrument

Bloodletters x14

Plaguebearers x7

Plaguebearers x7

Heavy Support

Soul Grinder

-Tongue

Daemon Prince x2

-Iron Hide

-Mark of Nurgle

-Noxious Touch

-Breath of Chaos

Comes out to 1849. The DPs may not have wings, but I usually have the shutzpah to DS them close enough to the enemy to make wings unnecessary.

• 3 weeks later...
If I were to build a list for tournaments, I'd go with some big heavy hitters. I think Bloodthirsters are pretty much the essential in any assault army, and seeing as daemons are primarily assault, I'd rather use them. I've been playing around with some lists, and here's one I came up with.

HQ

Bloodthirster x2

-Unholy Might

Elite

Bloodcrusher x3

-Fury of Khorne

Troops

Plaguebearers x10

-Insturment

Plaguebearers x10

Heavy Support

Soul Grinder

-Phlegm

Soul Grinder

-Tongue

Daemon Prince

-Wings

-Iron Hide

-Unholy Might

-Mark of Khorne

if your first army list is 1000 points them i think i got a list to counter that. and the fatecrusher.

2x Herald of Tzeenech

2x chariot

2x breath of chaos

2x mastery of sorcery

2x Herald of Tzeenech

2x chariot

2x breath of chaos

2x mastery of sorcery

1x bloodcrusher

40pts

1x bloodcrusher

40pts

10x bloodletter

10x bloodletter

1x deamon prince

1x deamonic gaze

1x deamon prince

1x deamonic gaze

i worked out a little maths yesterday while making this list, 10 BL can hold there own aginst a bt for a max of 3 turns roughly and equally deal 2 wounds to the GD. while my heralds and DP can annihilate a GD in one turns worth of shooting.

if that isnt enough i have about the same number of BC as Duskraider and roughly enough BL to do the rest. However i cant kill the SG in shooting ill just assault it and it will die in one turn or two ;). what do you think? i dont like fateweaver as he can bug out of the game at any time effectively loosing 33% of your army.

thanks

antique_nova

I think fatecrucher needs more than 1000 points to be effective, as fateweaver's main ability is the save bonus, but at 1000 you dont have enough units making use of the reroll saves to be worth it. However, no tournies I know of run less than 1500 points, and most doubles around here run 2x1000 so even then the force multiplier of fateweaver gets better.

Archived