Sanguinus and Horus

Sanguinus(pardon the spelling if i'm wrong) and Horus were close and when together barely inseperable, so we've read. In Fulgrim, when Fulgrim kills Ferrus, he realizes how far he had slipped from the Emperor, and he seeks to atone for what he's done so to speak(at least i think)

my question is, did Horus feel the same when he killed Sanguinus? or was it as if he was just stomping on an insect as we would here?

the blood angels as we know suffer from the Black Rage in which they see Sanguninus' last moments and when he dies. I am just curious to what sort of vision it is.

Hope this is a great topic to interest everyone, still kinda new to the Bolter and Chainsword.

He didn't have long to think about it, the Emperor found Horus almost immediately after Horus had killed Sanguinius.

Depending on which version you prefer, when the Emperor psychically obliterated Horus, there was a moment as the Chaos Gods deserted him that he regained his mind and most likely felt bad about what he had done.

theres some fluff (think its third edition) which has sanguinus tearing out horus' throat... think it was the fluff for the chapter approved army of death.

as for the remorse, he couldnt have regretted it for that long as he attacked the emperor.

theres some fluff (think its third edition) which has sanguinus tearing out horus' throat... think it was the fluff for the chapter approved army of death.

as for the remorse, he couldnt have regretted it for that long as he attacked the emperor.

Horus needs no throat!

I believe what your thinking of was the story of Tycho's death as he succumbed to the Red Thirst. He was so far into the Red thirst that in his mind he was Sanguinus and an Orc he fought was Horus.

I think it's like one of those weird lovey-dovey moments when two lovers run towards each other in slo-mo. Horus was running towards Sanguinius, then as he was about 2" from him, he turned his smile into a sneer, went 'Psyche!' and punched his lights out. At least that's how it went in my deranged mind... :)

the only damage Sanguinius was able to deal was a tiny chink in Horus' armour. after that Horus stopped 'playing around' and finished him off. then he fought the emperor blah blah blah. we all know how that ends ;)

i doubt Horus felt any remorse for the death of sanguinius at all. as mentioned earlier, when the emperor dealt the massive psychic attack to Horus he returned to normal for a few seconds and sort of 'told' the emperor to finish him for what he has done.

I've seen something explaining the fight, however I think it was written by jow schmo. So isn't exactly canon. It does give a good description of wounds from the three fighters involved.

The way I know it is like this.

Horus tells Sanguinius to turn to Chaos.

He refuses and they enter pitched combat.

Both are equally matched in physical strength and technique, neither can get any serious wounding in. Until...

Sanguinius scores a good wound against Horus, which really pisses him off where he then decides to finish Sanguinius and Magic Missile spams him.

Some sources say that Sanguinius' wounding of Horus allowed that small crack in his armor for the Emperor to Arcane Explosion Horus' face in!

It is commonly accepted that the Emperor held back his full might in the final duel, for like a father always does he tried to find good in his son despite all the evil things Horus had committed. Even the death of Sanguinius wasn't enough to make the Emperor see the truth and ultimately he paid the price for being a loving parent and ended up destroying Horus anyway.

Just thought I'd chip in.

Well Fulgrim felt remorse for Ferrus's death, so he descended into madness (or got posessed by a daemon, they are one and the same!). Horus was already into that madness. He was a champion of chaos, the best one they'd had in a loooooong time. I don't think they left him with much sanity to feel remorse for Sang's death.

Just my thoughts.

most sources either mention or hint to the emperor holding back in the begining of the fight...its only after horus casaully blasts X into oblivion (X is either a guardsman, custodes, or imperial fist depending on source) that the empere gets angry.

and you wouldnt like him when he's angry.

WLK

He doesnt need arms, legs, eyeballs, a spine or THROAT to psychically disintegrate Horus Lupercal B) Course good ol' Lupercal did pretty much kick the tar out of him up to then.

As far as my own personal opinion Son of Horus of the Heresy in my head, I wouldnt disagree with you whatsoever. The fluff pretty much states in several different renditions of the Emperor not going "all out" and Horus kicking the Maelstrom out of Bob/Big-E. Heck, Battle Bunker, Battle Barge, they all pretty much are in agreement on that point.

Horus didn't feel any remorse for killing Sanguinus until the Chaos gods withdrew their power from him.

This is an absolute certainty because the fluff describes Horus torturing Sanguinus prior to killing him - from the moment Sanguinus teleports aboard he is assailed both physically and psychically, and only eventually reaches Horus.

@Valdenaar - I'd not thought about the Emperor's reaction to Sanguinus's death before. It is interesting that even though Horus has killed Sanguinus, the Emperor continues to hold back. It's only after Horus kills the Custode that the Emperor finally kills him. But does this suggest that the Emperor feels more strongly about his Custodes than his Primarchs? After all, they are all his sons, and the Custodes may be closer to him genetically than the Primarchs. Also, they are with him permanently, unlike the Primarchs who he only sees rarely.

Horus didn't feel any remorse for killing Sanguinus until the Chaos gods withdrew their power from him.

This is an absolute certainty because the fluff describes Horus torturing Sanguinus prior to killing him - from the moment Sanguinus teleports aboard he is assailed both physically and psychically, and only eventually reaches Horus.

@Valdenaar - I'd not thought about the Emperor's reaction to Sanguinus's death before. It is interesting that even though Horus has killed Sanguinus, the Emperor continues to hold back. It's only after Horus kills the Custode that the Emperor finally kills him. But does this suggest that the Emperor feels more strongly about his Custodes than his Primarchs? After all, they are all his sons, and the Custodes may be closer to him genetically than the Primarchs. Also, they are with him permanently, unlike the Primarchs who he only sees rarely.

I've seen it written more often that it was an imperial fist terminator, rather than a custodes. Either way, if it was the terminator it strengthens your point further.

well, the emperor might have had to see just how far horus had sunk. killing a primarch, and then casually annihilating X with his mind might have been a good indication that there was no hope for him. i think the emperor is kinda like those parents who always take the side of their favorite child, no matter how strong the evidence against them. kinda like Ron Burgundy's boss in Anchorman, whos kid brings in "questionable magazines" to school, or drops acid and shoots the place up with bows and arrows.

@Ilmarinen- As explained above the Emperor favoured Horus and even though Sanguinius lay dead at Horus' heet he still couldn't bring himself to use his full power because he still thought there was a chance for redemption. It's when X gets flayed alive with but a blink from Horus and the Emperor lays dying that he finally understands that noble Horus is gone, replaced by a pawn of Chaos and even as he lay dying on the deck he summons that lance of psychic energy and forces the chaos gods to run screaming in fear. He then kills Horus with a second attack even though his noble son, for one moment is back.

I think its sad that Sanguinius dies and the Emperor doesn't really respond to it, but would we have it any different guys. What a hell of an endgame it is after all.

fulgrim was possessed by a deamon, and horus's sword had a deamon in it, cudnt the chaos gods of replaced his soul momentarily with themselves in and literally possessed him? using horus as a phyiscal body to hold them in the material world/universe just like the deamon within fulgrim had.

thaks

antique_nova

fulgrim was possessed by a deamon, and horus's sword had a deamon in it, cudnt the chaos gods of replaced his soul momentarily with themselves in and literally possessed him? using horus as a phyiscal body to hold them in the material world/universe just like the deamon within fulgrim had.

thaks

antique_nova

No, not a chance. If the Chaos gods had taken possession of his body fully leaving no room for the obliterated soul of Horus it would have resulted in one thing. A bunch of dead Chaos gods. The Emperor had just literally wiped Horus's soul from existence and they forces of chaos fled his body as fast as they could. It would be suicide for a chaos being to fight the emperor on the material plane.

As for the earlier point that the Emperor did/didn't hold back it states very clearly in the Collected Visions that he was holding back not a little but the majority of his power during their fight and only after an Imperial Fist Terminator was flayed alive with a glance did the Emperor resolve to end Horus. And once he gets serious the fight ends. He literally destroys Horus's soul with a single psychic attack. If the Emperor had reacted the same way to Sanguinius death the Imperium would be a better place as Horus would never so much as gotten a shot in on the Emperor.

Simply put the Emperor of Mankind is the single most powerful psychic character in any work of fiction I've ever read. He makes Xavier and Jean look like preschool kids. The Emperor could likely do battle with the Phoenix force in a mental battle. After reading all the HH novels every time they mention him hes doing something else amazing and slightly over the top.

I wonder though of all his misdeeds which atrocity did Horus regret the most in the fraction of second his mind was normal again, money's on Sanguinius.

Archived