Thoughts

happe

Hey,

I have been working on some fluff for my own chapter and i just want some suggestions and/or critisim. please let me know what you REALLY think you wont hurt my feelings and I want to hear it.

Since I am currently a Black Templars player I naturally decided to make them a successor chapter of Dorn, and more immediatly probably the Templars but maybe IF.

Here are the basic Ideas:

-They went renegade because of their belief in Imperial Truth and do not believe the Imperium truley serves the Emperor anymore.

-They have a small system of planets under their control and have been forgotten by the Imperium, this is because they made it so, they raided Imperial records and killed everyone at the facility, after this they made the records say the system was to be avoided by imperial forces and the system was subjected to exterminatus.

-They play an active part in the population of this system (much like the Salamanders do) and are seen as saviors.

-They do not view dealing with aliens and adapting xeno tech to their own use as heretical and encourage technological research.

-While they would never attack an imperial world they will only help if there is no risk of their discovery and even then, they are saving a human world not a imperial world, if you know what i mean.

- They have a retained force of PDF that act as the chapter's Auxilia force, protecting the Monastary, and even fight along side in larger engagements(APOC) for logistic reasons this force uses Asartes Vehicles(PREDS,RHINOS, WHIRLWINDS)- in short i'm thinking a pure force of Stormtroopers with space marine armor.

-I'll spare you the details on the more in depth stuff but this is the basic idea.

i think thats enough for now, please let me know what you think.

I'm sorry, i probably should have mentioned this, they are not Chaos, I guess you could say they are space marine "atheists". its overly simplified but oh well.

my question is really if you like the idea or if it just a horrible idea and go back to the drawing board.

I'm not sure what you mean by "rules" if you're talking about codex then probably either black templars or just standard SM. they would only be a APOC force since i want the guard models with them on the table.

You should probably have posted this in Amicus as this is the Chaos subforum and by your own admission this has nothing to do with Chaos as you would be using loyalist rules and by your own fluff they are loyalists. Also I am not positive that later foundings have successors of their own, I was under the impression that only the progenitor chapters make successors every so often with those successors never branching off further.

As for your idea, well it isn't unprecedented as this is more or less what Relictors are except Relictors use chaos technology unlike your chapter which uses xenos technology, but otherwise it's very similar. What doesn't quite make sense though is how they destroyed all record so completely as chapters are watched over very carefully and they would probably have to raid Mars and Terra to erase their existence from the archives, maybe have them participate in some battle after which they were assumed to be destroyed? Or even have the Inquisition turn on them due to their use of xeno tech and bomb them writing them off as exterminated when in reality some survived. Something like that seems to make more sense to me.

Perhaps the final straw in their loss of faith in the Imperium was the declaration of exterminatus on one of the planets they now reside in?

They engineered the situation such that they accompanied the exterminating fleet, then faked the action, along with a disastrous escalation of the conflict, that consumed not just the target planetary system, but the fleet and chapter aswell.

A small company of self-sacrificing marines, perhaps a couple of damaged ships, returned to populated space with faked picts and records of the 'disaster', satisfying Terra that the rest were lost.

Maybe they now always keep the third company unmanned, and the third captain's chair empty at the table, as a mark of respect for the loyal brothers who made the ultimate sacrifice, that of abandoning their beloved chapter, so that it could continue unmolested?

I play renegade atheists myself, I like where you are heading, best of luck with it!

i just talked to a friend about this idea and he had a suggestion, not really sure if this is plausable. so heres the thought to make them a bit more "shady"

"Evil Plan": the chapter is secretly working on bolstering their numbers to that of an original legion, once this is accomplished, they will wait until the imperium is distracted and weakened (say a black crusade, hive fleet, waagh, etc.) and make their way to (if needed by force) terra and will attempt to release emperor's body from the Golden Throne, with this the Imperium will in all likelyhood fall and only then can it be rebuilt as they believe the emperor intended.

my original thought when he ran this by me was that not even a legion could make it all the way to terra. while they would be unstoppable to any one force, all imperial forces would make their way to terra. but he had a good comeback saying that the chapter could be planning on plently of conversions taking place to their benefit.

i dont think this would be a bad fluff problem considering raising an entire legion would take a substantional amount of time.

Perhaps the final straw in their loss of faith in the Imperium was the declaration of exterminatus on one of the planets they now reside in?

They engineered the situation such that they accompanied the exterminating fleet, then faked the action, along with a disastrous escalation of the conflict, that consumed not just the target planetary system, but the fleet and chapter aswell.

A small company of self-sacrificing marines, perhaps a couple of damaged ships, returned to populated space with faked picts and records of the 'disaster', satisfying Terra that the rest were lost.

Maybe they now always keep the third company unmanned, and the third captain's chair empty at the table, as a mark of respect for the loyal brothers who made the ultimate sacrifice, that of abandoning their beloved chapter, so that it could continue unmolested?

I play renegade atheists myself, I like where you are heading, best of luck with it!

That would make more sense since to erradicate the records of the system they would have to raid terra... and good luck with that...

After several tens of thousands of years, we're well overdue for another heresy, as the Imperium would no doubt see it!

Let's hope the Emperor is pleased with what he sees whwn he wakes up... ;)

This is a very ambitious direction to head with your fluff: that's not to say you shouldn't give it a go, but invading Terra, avoiding ALL the loyalist marines and beating them to the holy throne, defeating the palace guards etc., then overpowering the attendants that have nursed (or is that imprisoned?) the Emperor in his stasis, and re-animating him, bringing about a new age in the 40K universe?

Games Workshop have launched the latest rules amidst 'The Time Of Ending'; I'm sure they have ideas in which direction they see the universe heading, and unless you tally with this you could find yourself repeatedly being dashed against the wall of emerging canon.

Ferrata's excellent guide on Chapter creation:

A Guide to Creating a DIY Chapter

Suggests one avoids including major existing characters and locations, lest you upset too many people, or find yourself heading in a direction that no-one else can follow.

Eradicating your chapter on the quiet with a bit of creative book-keeping is a lot easier than re-writing all of history!

well one thing i like with the idea my friend had, was that its the plan but they dont have the means, and it would in all probabibility be next to impossible for a renegade space marine chapter to do this, unless they had access to a forge world, and even then that forge may lack the means to outfit i believe 10,000 marines with basic things such as power armor. so i really dont see it as a problem when it comes to the fluff, it would only be a plan, and thats were it would stop. i hope that made sense.

as for allying with chaos, how do you think that would work chaos doesnt seem like a bunch of guys that are really into allies that dont follow chaos.

It would definitely depend on the legion/chapter that you wish to ally yourself to. I'm sure some manipulative forces like the Alpha legion would gladly accept your chapter's aid, only to backstab you in the heat of battle. It would make sense to steer clear away from hardcore followers such as Worldeaters, Deathguard, Emperor's Children and Thousand Sons (they might try to puppet you, however) as these legions have strong bonds with its chaos gods and as your chapter is not really "evil" they probably wouldn't risk the influence.

Terra is THe most heavily fortifed place in the Imperium, read Wolfblade, even a legion would not get past Pluto before being annhilated by the defenses, not to mention the Custodes and the Imperial fists and Terra's inpressive orbital defneses.

Archived