How do we deal with Guard?

Gree

Just had a game with the new guard today It was me and a necron player each with 1500 pts vs. a 3000 pt list. We got tabled. The new orders twin-linking heavy weapons are brutal. He had 180 guardsmen and 5 Leman Russes. How do we deal with this?

Mobile firepower, melee and taking advantage of their tank squadron rules.

THis means a single tank can pin one of their tanks in place, so that the whole squad cant move out of coherency, and then melee them. (best AV your krak grenades will face are AV11 rear, read the squadron rules and melee vs tanks rules)

I have had 17 possessed make it up to the battle line and remove all 3 tank squads in several charges. AV11 isnt that bad to deal with, and squadron rules say that any immobilised results counts as vehicle destroyed results. Even if they come as a single tank, its still a squadron. So think of always having kind of a +1 to destroy a tank, unless its a chimera, big missile tank or a manticore. All the rest suffer under squadron rules.

A unit of 4 lascannon totting havocs hidden behind some troops for cover saves and no cover for the tanks in return (no obscured vehicles 50%) and remove them accordingly.

Lots of ways, I've yet to fail toa 8+ heavy support vehicle army. (I melee)

I haven't been up against new Guard yet, but from what I have seen, it seems like it is a race to kill there command squads. All the orders and improved leadership is all forced onto that one squad that is the back bone to the infantry and tanks. My best guess to get rid of the new guard is the mobile cover tanks ( land raiders ) and lots of zerkers. You are not going to out shoot them in any way.

Also if you use frag and hit two of them, its similar to having an autocannon shot or using a krak to instant death one. So either way havocs can be useful!

Glad I kept my AC havocs from v3.5.

There is already a thread on this.

But first off, don't play unbalanced matchups. Him having 3k points gives him an advantage and allows him to have more heavies.

Were is the thread I might ask? And me and my parther both had 1500pts.

You put yourself at a disadvantage right away, two 1500pt armies do not equal a 3000pt army. You should have had him make two 1500pt armis as well.

I have yet to play the new guard but I suspect the way to beat the new IG is the way you beat the old IG, get into hth ASAP.

Oblit for the tanks and a HB havoc squad to thin them out couldn't hurt either.

Yeah I imagine Tau would have a field day, all those S10 guns and if the guard player takes squadrons, all immobilized results count as destroyed. As for chaos, although I haven't played against their new codex yet I'm really not too worried, it's still a shooty horde, and shooty hordes tend to fold to mech CC armies that deploy in a refused flank away from where his worst stuff is as this is always possible given that guard players tend to use up their entire deployment zone.

If anything I still think Orks are a bigger problem for us, or at least me, I hate those green gits.

Even if they come as a single tank, its still a squadron. So think of always having kind of a +1 to destroy a tank, unless its a chimera, big missile tank or a manticore. All the rest suffer under squadron rules.

I thought that this was the case originally! Yet this would have been imbalanced if a IG player decided to just get one tank so I re-read the vehicle squadron rules: if a squadron consists of a single vehicle (you buy it that way or it becomes that way) you treat it like a regular tank. They also count all stunned results as shaken while in a squadron.

Yes, I was also intimidated by the new codex when I heard about it. Then I played some games against it. Here is what I took away:

-Chaoszilla lists are quite effective. Forcing IG to pick and choose what their heavy weapons target leaves your troops open to move around and cause problems for the already disadvantaged guardsmen. Icon bombing and LR builds also work.

-Hulling down your vehicles really negates the benefits that IG gets from using squadrons

-Officers are usually floating around in range of other units to give them orders. This makes missiles and battlecannons wonderful at clearing up IG lines. If you pog an officer next to a heavy weapons team you are going to cause some unpleasant casualties

-Bring lots of vehicles/zilla targets or none at all. If you don't bring any expect your rhinos or tanks to get smoked really fast

-Vendettas are nasty on paper, but are not that practical as both transports and anti-armor. Nevertheless having these guys outflank your unprepared column is a bad day indeed.

-IG are still bad in close combat and vehicle squadrons are even worse. Regular grenades are effective and melta bombs are just lawl

-Deepstriking things against static IG lines works like usual.

So in a nutshell I agree with what almost everyone has said: the new IG are like the old IG and the same tactics work. Its a bit more mobile, can throw a few curve balls depending on how the list is put together, and is finally competitive. Its a lot of fun to play as and against.

PS: My first post. Nice to meet you chaps ^_^

Archived