Scout tactics: Part 6 necrons

greatcrusade08

Sorry to contridict you... but in 4th edition you could not attach 2 characters to a single unit. So while its a valid tactic now, back then your opponentn was cheating.

Tauly doesnt miss a beat, he probably meant he had two units of 10 immortals each with a lord, either that or it was within the tourney rules ^_^

GC08

Be that as it may he specifically stated [two lord in a unit of immortals in 4th edition. I also have not heard of any tourny rules pre-5th edition that allowed 2 characters...

It may be a house rule, but that wasn't mentioned.

*EDIT*

And everyone misses a beat sooner or later... its all a part of being human.

Hey - I remember playing a guy with a necron list at a tournament when I first started playing competatively.. This was in 4th ed. but I imagine that it would still work... I havent seen anyone do it since.

He had two lords in a unit of 10 immortals - both with the staff of light - one with a res orb and something else and one with the phase shifter thing (teleport) - I think both had the multiwound res? - this unit was insanely tough (everything has T5) and with that many str 5 shots he would destroy units whole... and if you caught it (he has a 24' range) he just shifts out of combat... but it still had 6 str 5 power weapon attacks... Back field he had 3 units of warriors a monolith and a few small units of destroyers - ever since I have developed a healthy respect for immortals - He would use the range on the destroyers to stun your gun tanks (Vindis) whilst his warriors got the objectives backed up by the lith -

I dont know how this helps with your tactica, but to assume that you are faster than a necron army is false - they can be very fast - and whilst they are not that strong in combat, they have enough options and means available to avoid or deny combats... assuming a necron army will crumble because it is in combat is not true - you have to have the means to break the unit and then run it down - Using scouts, only large units with high numbers of attacks will achieve this..

What the second lord had was called the Veil of Darkness. This tends to happen alot to me, a unit of immortals will suddenly pop up and obliterate a unit of their choice.

With almost their entire codex glancing on a 6 they can be very deadly to vehicles, especially when they get close. The gauss rule also affects monstrous creatures.

well he was cheating then - are you sure though? you used to be able to attach multiple IC's to a marine command squad and the whole thing was one HQ choice (3 hq IC's and 10 marines for one selection but they all had to be in the one unit... )

Like I said - It was when I first started out and I had no idea on any codex apart from marines - I still dont, but I know roughly what they can do and what each unit has - basically if it behaves in a manner that no other unit can (ie. outside the core rules) I question it - or if they do something with a unit that I have never seen anyone do before, I again, question it and 9 times out of 10 they have just read the rule incorrectly -

Anyway - in the current edition - It would be something that I would be weary of if it came up again -

That was because the IC's were unit upgrades (prior to the retinue rules, they still counted as IC but didn't take up a HQ slot)...

In 4th edition you could only attach 1 seperate HQ to a unit unless there was some rull trumping this, in the necron codex there isn't.

Archived