Pre-Heresy World Eaters

Valdenaar

Hello everyone. Ok this is a little embarrasing for me as I'm a walking archive of information on 40K across the board, every race, history everything.

But I'm currently writing a story about the World Eaters before the Heresy and no matter where I look I find nothing useful or most of the time nothing at all.

I know the basic stuff like they were called the War Hounds and they wore white armour (arterial spray not withstanding) but any fluff or info you can offer me would be appreciated.

Cheers.

although i don't see the HH series being canon in any way, i guess the little things like that are acceptable. they had blue trim ;)

their symbol was an astartes helmet with a planet in it's jaws and XII over the helmet i think. they already used chainaxes. i'm not sure if there's much else. hope i helped :lol:

Dan Abnett spoke at Gencon last year, saying that as far as the events of the Heresy are concerned only, the HH series of books can be regarded as canon.

In any case, I suppose you could choose to completely ignore the fact that the World Eaters were once called the War Hounds before the introduction of their Primarch, but then I guess you could say that about any other piece of background information and essentially make the entire exercise meaningless. :P

I would recommend the IA article on the World Eaters, which at least gives a little information about there history (you can either pay through the nose buying this from ebay, or ... search the internet for it *cough* )

Battle for the Abyss features a great WE character, and gives some more information about how they bahave.

Generally speaking, even amongst the Astartes they were renowned for their brutality and orientation towards close combat. They favoured chainaxes amongst other close combat weapons, and as time went on (perhaps after their Primarch was found) became more and more brutal, to the point where the Emperor was forced to reprimand them for commiting atrocities. They also used neural implants which made them frenzied - more and more of the legion used these over time, and were introduced after Angron was discovered and joined the legion. They also had a reputation as head-takers, and there is a piece of artwork which shows this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/Pacific81/we_genocide.jpg

From what i gather from something i heard Alan Merret say (think it was him anyway) The HH is the new Cannon for history and writes over everything previous now.

Well the World Eaters were Terrans and they had the chip which made them go bezerk and they were into Gladitorial combat to prove someones skills.

their symbol was an astartes helmet with a planet in it's jaws and XII over the helmet i think.

There is a fan made banner like that floating around the web for Dawn of War, but I was under the impression it pure fanon (or rather just a creative banner) - that the official badge had always been just the teeth and planet.

As far as I'm aware there are no World Eater icons which are represented in any way other than the classic 'world inbetween teeth' depiction. Presumably the War Hound's icon was different, but we have yet to see any examples of this as the name was only introduced in the Tales of Heresy book. Personally I can imagine that being a similar icon but without the planet in the centre (perhaps like the orc glyph), although thats complete conjecture on my part! :D

And there's a think to be added about the primarchs order of discovery and 2 missing primarchs conspiracies:

The tale strongly suggest that Angron was the next in line discovered just after Vulkan And Perturabo. It's new info, or was already knew? I don't have that BL link with all info summarized.

although i don't see the HH series being canon in any way, i guess the little things like that are acceptable. they had blue trim :P

their symbol was an astartes helmet with a planet in it's jaws and XII over the helmet i think. they already used chainaxes. i'm not sure if there's much else. hope i helped ;)

Not quite. Being a WE fanatic, they had blue shoulder pads, the fluff that they were called the War Hounds was established long before the HH series, their symbol has nothing to do with a helmet, it's just two red jaws around a world, they didn't use chainaxes, only the veterans and sergeants and that's about it, I think...

Oh, and they de-populated an entire world in one night, which was called the Ghenna Scouring, because it was on Ghenna Prime or something similar...

They seem honourable and civilised before the Primarch was found.

If the read the story in ToH, you get that impression!

Yeah I got that impression too. I mean ultimately they were all images of their primarch but Angron's bitter resentment and simmering hatred of the Emperor really messed them up.

although i don't see the HH series being canon in any way, i guess the little things like that are acceptable. they had blue trim ;)

their symbol was an astartes helmet with a planet in it's jaws and XII over the helmet i think. they already used chainaxes. i'm not sure if there's much else. hope i helped :)

Not quite. Being a WE fanatic, they had blue shoulder pads, the fluff that they were called the War Hounds was established long before the HH series, their symbol has nothing to do with a helmet, it's just two red jaws around a world, they didn't use chainaxes, only the veterans and sergeants and that's about it, I think...

Oh, and they de-populated an entire world in one night, which was called the Ghenna Scouring, because it was on Ghenna Prime or something similar...

Cite your source for being called the War Hounds before that short story.

It was on Lexicanum last year, and I'm very certain that ToH was not around then. If it wasn't Lexicanum, it was on wikipedia before they 'purged' the site of all 40k Legion fluff.

Hmmm...

Thats all I'm going to say, "Hmmmmmm"... :P

I know of someone who has spoken to Mike Lee so perhaps he'll be able to say where he got the name from! Not saying you're incorrect, but I was pretty sure that ToH was the first place I read the name.

I've asked around on a HH-centred forum, and it seems that After De'shea was the first example of the name 'War Hounds'. But, some of the information from the story (such as the previous name of the WE) had been leaked some time before it was released, so it could well be that which you read Skirax

Archived