FAQ: Highlighting Black

The problem with black is getting the subtle contrasts. I put on a layer of Chaos Black then use the Badab Black wash. This give a matte type of finish to the cracks and crevices on the piece. Then lightly drybrush with a 50/50 mix of black and grey to bring out the edges. I was taught this by a guy at my local GW who had some beautiful Chaos Marines using this technique.

After I wrote my post I realized that I made and error. :rolleyes: I first paint with Boltgun Metal, then do a black wash. I use Chaos Black for the basecoat. The black wash will mute the metalic highlight of the Boltgun, leaving the surface less shiny but still looking metalic.

Well, I typically just add slightly more regal blue to my chaos black in a progression, then keeping it to about three coats of slightly thinned ChaosBlack/RegalBlue mix, I then add some ultramarines blue (for three coats only), and making sure to add only small amounts on a grtadually smaller area/stipe, I do final-ish highlights with ice blu, then absolutely final highlights with a thin sliver of skull white, then wash the whole thing with badab blact to tie it all in.

Go with a 3 color grey setup...

Go with dark grey as the first coat...usually kind of large highlight...then 2nd coat layed not...not fully covering the entire 1 coat...then the last brighter coat layed down in the thinest lines and least coverage should help...

or go with a medium grey watered down, and lay it down for highlight, you might have to do it about 3-4 times but the black shows through the lighter coats so it looks fadded...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v35/lunchb0x/deathcompany3b.jpg

• 4 months later...
Hi im starting a new sm chapter and i got to highliting the black part of my test mini and i found the highlight that i was doing was to strong. i was wonderin if any one could post a tut on how to do a light highlight on black.also i would post a pic of wat i hav done so far but im at my grandmas house so ill post one when i get home.

• 1 month later...
Not for me, either, but it did when I posted it about a month and a half ago. Anyway, all it really is, is a link to what you got when you pressed the Search button and entered the text "highlight black".

After picking up the marine codex once again to start a new chapter ive decided to go with either the sable swords or some other black chapter of my own design

Basicaly the question is does anyone have any recomendations on what colours to use if i wanted to get a blue tone to the highlights,

i have been trying midnight blue and then shadow grey but the grey comes out to obvious where i would prefer a subtle highlight

cheers

I find Fenris Grey works brilliantly for a subtle-blue highlight on black, I'll show you a pic of my Templars. Note that as I took the pic with flash, they look quite extreme but in normal light they look more subtle and just right.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii185/Moonfishthing/Templars007.jpg?t=1240279077

• 2 months later...
Start with black mixed with codex grey some were between 25%-50% as a base coat then continue to add codex grey if you want the armor to look plain black if you want a hint of blue add shadow grey(I have never tried hawk turquoise but it sounds interesting). I wash my base coat over with watered down brown paint also, it seems to make the armor look more interesting and more realistic.

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly? I go and use washes for my black. I will take some Badab Black, add some water and dish soap, and I will go over the area I want black multiple timees, then add a small amount of chaos black to the wash for the deep shadows and recesses. Black is a very tricky color to work with. Which is why I suggest highlighting in something other than straight grey. Oftentimes after I do the black washes, I will wash the resulting highlights with a mix of asurman blue and watered down regal blue.

Hope I could have helped.

Skullz

Archived