what do you think? skarbrand or skulltaker in 1000points

antique_nova

its basically what the title says, who would you take in 1000 points. Skarbrand or the skulltaker on a chariot. For fire support in the army i will take two pghlem soul grinders, then i will choose what i want after that.

Reasons i would take skarbrand:

high ws

gd toughness and survives longer due to his tought and his save i think.

also has fleet where as the skulltaker cant move 12 cant assault 12 and cant even fleet.

reasons i would take skulltaker:

roughly the same stats at costs almost half the GD when i add on the chariot.

instant death attack.

The thing i struggle to go with is what do i do? do i have a monstrous hq with medium support, or do i take a mountrous hq that cant move as fast and take lots of support for it? ( the difference between these two when the skulltaker has the chariot is 135pts )

thanks

antique_nova

Think of it this way: At 1,000 pts, Skarbrand would represent 30% of your entire army. If you wanted to take a generic Bloodthirster, you save 5% of those points, = 25% or ¼ of your entire army. If you take Skulltaker + chariot that 160 pts = 16% of your entire army.

You might want to think about the rest of the army composition before just selecting an HQ. All of them can work. Most 1,000 pt lists will have a hard time dealing with a greater daemon of any flavor. Perhaps a garden variety Bloodthirster is more, “on-par” given such a low point game.

Just a thought. -OMG

I think it comes down to what kind of list you're playing. I personally prefer a Bloodthirster w/ Unholy Might. STR 9 on a charge AND has wings? Yes please! Daemonzilla = MCs, lots of them (5 max). Otherwise, go for a swarm-type and use Skulltaker, a couple Heralds if you'd like, and just Bloodletter spam. I've always thought about doing an army like that. Bloodletters can be shot down easily, but when there are 60+ on the board? Yeah.

I think people do underestimate how many guns can be carried in a 1000pt list, some of the DE/E list, Nec Destroyer list, Nid Gunline list etc can be tailored to dish out an incredible amount of starcannon/disintegrater/bright(dark)lance/Devourer/Gauss Cannon etc etc, that will shred small elite army like our own.

Standard stragety applies, make it into CC and the battle is so one-sided it's not even funny. You will need speed or number so that your troops make it to their line and i always find flamers extremely useful. Even in 1000pt games there are still expensive squads (Marine HQ/Retinues for example) that make perfect flamer target.

lol, its just a thought, i swear it was tzeenech who made me do it! not me! anyway i was pondering away yesterday without reading on these comments and got my head around a more brutal list that packs more cc punch and lots of variety ;).

thanks

antique_nova

Thought I'd give you some feedback on a game I played against some Daemons last night at 100 points.

I play BA and my list was;

Chaplain Lemartes

5 Death Company w/ Jump packs

10 man RAS w/power weapon, melta bombs

10 man Tactical w/power weapon, meltagun, missile launcher

Attack bike w/multi-melta

Baal Pred w/HB sponsons, storm bolter

Razorback w/HB

Rhino

He took;

One generic Bloodthirster

Skulltaker

10 (?) Bloodletters w/icon

10 (?) Plague bearers w/musician

Phlegm Soulgrinder

We played Annihilation - Spearhead.

He went first and his Soulgrinder and Bloodletters w/Skulltaker came in the first wave. At the end of my first turn only the soulgrinder was left alive. I had lost a Chaplain to Skulltaker and a couple of tactical marines to the Soulgrinder.

His Bloodthirster and Plaguebearers both came in turn two. The Bloodthirster was shot to bits, the Death Company assaulted the Plaguebearers and spent two turns locked in combat with them before I managed to kill them all for the loss of one Death Company Marine.

The game ultimately ended in a draw as my anti-tank weapons began rolling miserably against the Soulgrinder whereas that began catching up the KP's.

I think the deployment helped a lot as i stayed in my table quarter and shot out into the Daemons stranded around me but I think the points could have been better spent in his list. In total there was only four units which were easy to target as they pitched up two at a time.

On the other hand I used my same list 10 minutes after the game against;

Bloodthirster

Bloodletters (2x8)

Soulgrinder

Nine Horrors

Six flamers

and got ripped apart....

the first list was my omg 0_o is the guy noob or what.

the second list was a regular player who is experienced but just above by abit average. cos he had too many flamers in that game and they were all in one unit.

yea flamers think marines are ultra noob if you get too close. horrible isnt it?

the second list killed you off cos he had a good number of cc units that would tie you up easily , while his sg and flamers and horrors picked you off.

you panicked and fired at the bl cos they have power weapons and hit first on a charge and you didnt want to risk your dc which you should if you didnt.

am i right? ^^

i have since changed my army list and ideas and i will now be playing with this list.

what do you think of it? if you thought the deamon armies you faced were hard wait till you see mine ^^.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...=0#entry1971245

anyway. you had a good army list, cant fault you their, you just need to work out your deployment tactics and first turn tactics better.

remember always have your men in transports when against deamons and always force deamons to make first turn, NEVER second. no matter what they have.

if they have mainly cc then withdraw to a corner and pit your numbers against them it will work. if they are shooty always spread out your models atleast more than 8 inches after, as that is the range of flamers. hope it helps you mate

thanks

antique_nova

Archived