Praetors of Calth WIP update

apologist

An intermittent series of updates about my Ultramarines – hope you like 'em!

One of the great advantages of unhelmeted marines is the opportunity to really make the face a focal point.

WIP Bitterstone of the Metaeans

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_w52z2ezBXbQ/SflXpUVwj8I/AAAAAAAAAnk/PA5ZbvJPPH4/s800/IMG_0020.JPG

Haven't finished by a long shot, but I find having the face done really helps stamp some identity on the figure. Note that I've already highlighted up the blue etc around his head, and base-painted the rebreather. This is so I don't accidentally paint over the face later.

Since he's a Terran, I'm pretty free with hair colour. Any ideas? I thought he'd look good mousy-brown, or perhaps redhead...

No such thoughts with Sergeant Telcion: this grizzled veteran keeps his hair cropped short. Still WIP, but again I've gone ahead and painted the face. Since this is the part I enjoy the most, you can see that I put a lot more time into it than the rest of the model.

I've always found that a good focal point will forgive a lot of errors. I'm not a particularly good technical painter – but a strong colour scheme and attention to detail goes a long way.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_w52z2ezBXbQ/SflXp0qptJI/AAAAAAAAAns/8K_LpVi9kss/s800/IMG_0021.JPG

Note the bruising around the eye on the right. There's a little cut on the model here (I used the head from the Chaos Warrior sprue to get the grizzled, furious expression), so I developed this up with some purple glazes.

+++

WIP Teletas of the Ciconians

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_w52z2ezBXbQ/SflXqelMOgI/AAAAAAAAAn8/FsBeMizv-7g/s800/IMG_0023.JPG

Really cracked on with this guy last night – he took up most of the evening after training*, but that does mean that he's nearly finished! I've long been a fan of black lenses in helmets, but it does strip the head of an eye-catching point. To ameliorate that, I've added some stark reflected highlights and a freehand legion symbol on his forehead.

Note also that the face area is highlighted up to an ever-so-slightly lighter tint than the rest of the armour, particularly round the eyelenses. This has the same effect as black lining does on light areas: creating a high tonal contrast between the dark blue faceplate/brow and the dark eyelenses; which draws the eye and helps it distinguish details.

I read on another blog that a painter that doesn't see room for improvement either doesn't paint, or doesn't improve. Well, I can see a lot to improve on here, but I am pleased with the face and the foremost shoulderpad trim: it's got a nicely subtle gredation of colour that doesn't draw the eye from the head too much.

+++

WIP Hetus

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_w52z2ezBXbQ/SflXqKF8T6I/AAAAAAAAAn0/F0uivogbX6g/s800/IMG_0022.JPG

Of course, a decent base also adds a real sense of realism and gravity – even to something as fantasy/sci-fi as an Astartes. Hetus is nearly finished now – I've blocked in his basic heraldry (red and yellow diagonal quarters), so it's just a few dings and scratches, then a nameplate and he's done!

+++

Quick question: I'm in two minds about painting the Metaeans as the rest of the marines, or in the same camo scheme as the Rhino (blue and white stripes, with yellow dags). Any thoughts on which would look better?

+++

*I'm running the Edinburgh marathon in aid of Hospices for Hope at the end of May – if you would like to support the charity, please feel free to PM me and I'll send you the details. :rolleyes:

These guys need weathering and an army badge each, but are otherwise complete.

The Metaeans

The Metaeans are a veteran Tactical squad hand-picked and led by the inimitable Sergeant Telcion. Each of the Metaeans has been awarded the Marksman's honour, being presented a gold-plated boltgun shell fired by Guilliman himself; and carries a Stalker-pattern boltgun into battle.

These boltguns are equipped with advanced Foestalker sights, which enhance the power armour's autosenses and enable the Astartes to keep up a fearsome rate of fire at longer ranges than usually possible. They are also equipped with stummers, nullifying the distinctive 'crack-boom' of the boltgun to a muffled thump.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_w52z2ezBXbQ/Sfqon_kAv2I/AAAAAAAAArk/R4LuhG23SK4/s800/IMG_0042.JPG

This pict-capture was taken during the Annexation of Jyriad, one of Sotha's outlying moons. Note the muted grey shouldertrim – a nod towards camouflage that would not compromise the armour's Machine Spirit.

The marines each carry extended supplies necessary to their task: smoke, blind, krak and frag grenades, rations, entrenching tools, cameleoline blankets in addition to extensive communications and electromagnetic warfare gear for their role as reconnaissance and sappers. Sergeant Telcion himself bears a jamming beacon built into his backpack.

Recon squads work alone or in support of larger taskforces. Their presence in a warzone allows scout squads to operate to peak efficiency, with their Sergeants confident of immediate support if it proves necessary. This back-up is rarely revealed to the Speculatores themselves, however – self-reliance is a vital skill that must be learned.

Hope you like 'em: at this rate, I might even get the army finished in time...

Archived