Starting a Chaos Daemon Army

I'm thinking of playing daemons, I like that not many people play them were I live, and I like the randomness of deployment

I was just wondering what the best cost effective ways to start them (no battleforce what the eff)

I'm wanting to play some of each of the gods

Also are the models mostly metal? Or plastic? Is the soul Grinder plastic or metal?

How many points do you want to collect? How much money do you have?

Often recommended stuff:

1. Don't use just one grinder, either none or at least two (this is what many people say)

2. Plaguebearers and Bloodletters are definitely good choices. You will need 2 units of bloodletters as one is shot down too fast!

3. Great Unclean One is cool I think, cheap for what he does

4. Bloodcrushers also are often recommended.

Best way to start: post an army list here and we can comment it!

Soulgrinders are a full plastic kit as well. All the Greater Daemons are full metal kits as well, along with the Bloodcrushers so great value for money IMO.

I've just started along the Daemon route and found the codex a great place to start.

Something worth remembering is that our plastic troops choices ('letters and 'nettes) were the first in the new wave of cheaper box sets. A tactical squad is about £18, while a unit of bloodletters is only £12. (I don't know if you're english but the prices will be equivalent wherever you live)

Also, don't forget to look on ebay. Ever since the new chaos marine codex came out there's been a flood of the old daemon models on there, you might get lucky.

Overall, most of the army is metal unfortunately. However, thanks to the very nature of daemons, there's absolutely nothing stopping you from converting counts as models from existing plastic kits.

Bloodletters, Daemonettes, and Grinders are plastic, that's it.

Daemons can be cheap if you use alternate models, convert, and check sites like eBay.

What kind of army did you want to run?

Buy a bunch of bloodletters and carve into them as they are bulky where they need to be. Turn them into any of the troop daemons with melting/carving/greenstuff and obviously painting.

my advice?

dont collect deamons haha

unless your playing WFB obviously

but apart from that

Khorn for the win

bllodcrushers and bloodeletters

a greater demon of khorn

and max out on deamon princes

Don't collect em? Why not?
They're a fun army, not easily made into a Win At All Costs army, and some people don't like that.

I play with 10-strong troops units, one from each god to give me all sorts of options. In 1500 size games, I then max out my elites with 12 fiends and 6 flamers, finally I take an hq (90% of the time a keeper of secrets, sometimes two). If you want, it's possible for all-plastic troops from all gods. Obviously the bloodletters and daemonettes have plastic boxes. Then you can take (a common thing among players) a box of Wood Elf Dryads and build/paint them into pink horrors. Nurgle isn't as easy and thus would be most expensive, but then you could just take small foam balls, glue them to the base, then cover them with sculpting material, making them suitably gross looking. All depends on what you want in your army.

For the fiends I got the old metal chaos hounds for a steal, then stuck them to 40mm rounds. Even simpler now, since they're plastic and cheaper.

Seahawk- awesome I actually like the fact that it's hard to make them super competivtive, make my wins even tastier :D

And I like the ideas! Puff balls of nurgle ftw!

Aren't there Plastic Zombies or Ghouls (??) from WHFB? They should be a good basis for some conversions with GS!

check here for good ideas for plastic plague bearers and horrors. As mentioned earlier the dryads are another way to go for horrors. I personally am going straight ghouls for plague bearer's, with a little GS, and Dryads for horrors.

EH

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah Vampire counts are Zombies those can be converted into some Plaguebearers

20 Zombies (Zombie Horde on GW website) for $35 is much better than the metal Plaguebearers price

yep and i know a guy who made like 60 (i think) zombie from 1 box 1!!!!!! lols true story

• 3 weeks later...

Pleased to have come across this topic... although I picked up Chaos Marines when I first got back into the game a few months ago, I've been desperate to play a Daemon army too... was visting Glasgow at the weekend, and couldnt resist popping into the GW store there... had a quick peek at the Daemon codex, and I was hooked... can't wait to start playing, but am still unsure as to what force to pick.

So far, I've picked up a box of bloodletters, and some old-style horrors. As CSM player, I've been playing DPs, and already have a couple of correctly sized D&D models which i've been using as proxies... guess these could also be used as Greater Daemons for my first few games.

Reading the comments so far, looks like I'll need at least another squad of bloodletters. I'm hoping to pick up some proper DPs and a Bloodthirster too. Any other suggestions folks?

Does anyone know if GW has any plans to bring out more plastic Daemon models in the near future? I'm not that great at putting together models - plastic I can get along with fine, but I'm reluctant to buy an expensive metal model and screw it up.

Sounds like you’re off to a good start. More suggestions would come easier if you let us in on your personal playing & modeling style. As for myself, my army is getting more mixed the more I play daemons (though Nurgle, my favorite god has the worst showing of the four). Let us know what you’re thinking.

I will put in one plug for the Soul Grinder w/the phlegm upgrade, of which I always fill my heavy slots with, 2 Grinders + 1 DP. Being able to pitch pie plates to thin down hoards of ork, bugs or what have you before your bloodletters decimate them in combat is a beautiful thing.

Have fun with it. -OMG

My CSM army is Chaos Undivided, so I'm wanting to mix it up a bit in my Daemon force too, and not focus on just the one god. I like the look of the Bloodthirster and Bloodletter's, mainly as I have a blast playing Zerkers in CSM force! I'd like to go for x2 greater daemon HQs (bloodthirster and lord of change), backed up with horrors and bloodletters, and some DPs for the heavy slots. Need to sit down and see what the options are for the DPs, but I'd certainly go for wings everytime, just like my CSM DPs. the fact that I play CSM as well means it'll be good that these models will be interchangable between my two armies.

Tbh, I'm trying to keep the cost down too, this being the credit crunch and all lol... for the forseeable future, my opponents will be mainly Tau, Eldar and Space Marines, so no hordes thankfully. Going to try and get about 1500 points worth of models - that's pretty much the maximum for the games I play right now.

In terms of my modelling style, I'm still finding my feet. Bought most of my CSM force off Ebay, ready assembled and painted. Cheating, I know! Really looking forward to getting into the painting and modeling side of the hobby again (it's been over 15 years since I raised a brush in anger!), but I'm wanting to start with something basic... probably the cheap old-school horrors I bought. It's one of the reasons I've not bought a DP yet - I've been strongly advised that one needs to pin them together in addition to glueing. I don't mind admitting that that's kinda beyond by level right now.

Archived