Star-Ancient K4-RL

Long time since I've had time to post- let alone even play 40k- so I've had the last few years to doodle and tinker. Well, come 5th edition, I got it into my head to start playing again. I figured, I had the money, had the time, and most of all, I finally had a reason to play- my GF started fielding Bolter-B**ches.

So I started working on my army, entirely True-scale (just a 500pt. killteam so far), and then I wanted to make something unique for my army.

And after searching around Battlewagon Bitz, the Dakka-Dakka forums, and hopping myself up on peyote, I realized that the Lascannon on the new Imperial Guard sentinel looked like a giant laspistol.

Hm.

To make my army more competitive, I needed lascannons... but for fluff reasons I didn't want to field Devastators or Predators... so that left me with Dreadnought or nothing.

So, I've started work on my pistol-toting dreadnought: Star-Ancient K4-RL.

Star-Ancient K4-RL. (Venerable Dreadnought) (165 Points)

WS BS S FA SA RA I A

5 5 6 12 12 10 4 2

Twin-Linked Lascannon (30 points)

Missile Launcher (10 points)

Extra Armor (15 points)

Now, I'm still debating as to replace his CCW with a missile launcher, and I'd *love* to take Hunter-Killer missiles as well, but they're not available to Venerable dreadnoughts. Any ideas?

Pictures will be uploaded once I get my camera straightened out.

So, I've started work on my pistol-toting dreadnought: Star-Ancient K4-RL.

Karl?! Um, I mean K4-RL...

This sounds great. Thank you for the inspiration. I can't wait to see pics.

I have been playing around with different dreadnought designs for my tech-chaos army,

and this sounds like it will fill the bill nicely.

(playing western whistling music)

Here comes the Dread with No Name...

Hmm, KL-1NT?

Or equip it with a huge Hanso sword and call'em B1-LL?

Ciao,

CDR Grendelwulf

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j105/KommisarSergei/292.jpg

This is the whole right arm, in a dry fit. I'm going to use the foot-socket from the leg piece in the shoulder to make posing it a little easier.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j105/KommisarSergei/296.jpg

This is the 'hand'- I figured that it was best to just integrate the weapon system into it. Again, this is just a dry fit, no glue.

I figure by using the 'leg' pieces as arms, I get a visible 'elbow' by reversing the knee joint. I plan on putting a plasticard shoulder-guard on it, unless I just put the Dreadnought leg guards over it to bulk them up a bit.

Still a bit stumped as to how to do the torso. And I'm going to need help putting together the other arm- do I keep it as a CCW, or another Lascannon and just count the one on the right as twin-linked? If I do it as a CCW, I have an idea for taking smoke launchers to make an almost tridactyl hand, but I'd like an opinion/suggestions/ideas.

Thank you! You have just helped me with an idea what to do with my newest Dread!

So far your work looks good, but it's not much to comment on at the moment. For the torso, may I recommend my tutorial in the Librarium Modelling section?

Oh, that's a good tutorial, yes, but I was almost going for a proto-dread, not even a Rogue-Trader era one, but something that could perhaps have been even older- especially since I have fluff pertaining to K4-RL's (Probably going to rename him KL-1NT) acceptance into the Grey Company Chapter. As is, I'm probably going to look to using the Sentinel kit for parts with which to build the torso- I already can use the existing hip and with some alterations, the leg assembly of a Sentinel.

Boring fluff below:

Space Hulk Gematria, deep in the Segmentum Obscurus, was discovered by the Grey Company battle barge Ember (4th Company) after it exited the Warp with enough psychic feedback to scramble astropaths for light-years around, shortly after the end of the Macharian Heresy. Infested with warring factions of Hrud and Orks, it took nearly a month to purge the vessel of the xenos onboard. During their time in theatre, the Grey Company noticed that occasionally they would assault a position only to find that the defenders within had already been killed- clean, precise las fire and munitions went through Hrud and Ork alike, leaving only corpses behind.

During what would be the last battle aboard the Gematria, they encountered K4-RL: a lithe, fast moving machine that seemed astonishingly smart in comparison to the combat servitors that they had seen. It utilized cover, would fall back to lure enemies into areas where it could dump its explosive payloads to maximum efficiency, and overall seemed to anticipate the actions of the Orks and the Hrud alike.

After it had hosed down the last, still twitching Ork, it turned to them and boomed out:

"DO YOU FEEL LUCKY, JUVES?"

Only with the quick thinking of Techmarine Weiss was the 4th company able to persuade the machine to accompany them.

Eventually, under intense prayer-diagnostics, the machine revealed its nature: It was 'piloted' through the last recorded brain scans of its creator, a Dr. Klaus, as well as several million preloaded adaptive hyper-heuristic combat simulations. As such, it was not to be considered a 'servitor', but, perhaps, a machine-ancient. Nearly a decade of bickering with the Mechanicus over the tech-theological implications later, it was determined that over the nearly thirty-five millenia adrift both in real-space and the Immaterium, that Unit K4-RL of the Line had developed a machine-spirit. It would be acceptable to accept it into the Chapter as a battle-brother.

When told this, the unit found it hilarious and boomed with vox-laughter. Questioned later, it informed them that Dr. Klaus was female. Much laughter was heaped upon Techmarine Weiss.

As the current bitz you have seen, both on the overall quality and lack of real preparation, I can safely say that this is a prototype- meaning, other than tinkering and slapping the thing together, it's going to be rough looking. Once I have the design totally figured out, I'll take the time to actually make sure everything looks decent- meaning I get to buy more goodies! YAY!

Until then, you'll have to live with mold lines, glue seepage, and skin tags from said glue seepage.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j105/KommisarSergei/IMG_0306.jpg

Prototype shoulder assembly, with upper arm attached. Made from dreadnought parts and a Sentinel foot for the socket.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j105/KommisarSergei/IMG_0310.jpg

Top view of the shoulder assembly.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j105/KommisarSergei/IMG_0311.jpg

Top view again spoiled by giant feline.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j105/KommisarSergei/IMG_0308.jpg

Shoulder with the upper arm flipped around.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j105/KommisarSergei/IMG_0314.jpg

Giant man-eating feline.

What's with people posting pictures of their cats, lately?

The fluff is okay if you want it to be funny, if you want it to fit into 40k fluff it's horrible.

Unfortunately, so are the pictures (except for the cat)

The fluff is okay if you want it to be funny, if you want it to fit into 40k fluff it's horrible.

Unfortunately, so are the pictures (except for the cat)

But, it is fluffy...see the "M" on the head.

The beast is obviously a biogenetic-spawn of the Adeptus Mechanicus.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Grendelwulf/fluff-m.jpg

Ok, K4-RL/KL-1NT's background is a little fast and loose, but it could happen. It could... :P

It should still prove to be a very interesting model.

Ciao,

CDR Grendelwulf

Archived