Fave HH book and why?

well lets get it started!

ive only just finished Fulgrim and i have to say i probably liked this one the best!

but only just ahead of Horus Rising! so for me its:

Fulgrim: i just loved the decent of them into chaos, starting slow then falling like a rockslide. brutal and extravagant...

my fav... so far. im a big DA fan so ill have to reasses after reading the next one on DA's and the upcoming one as well.

Its impossible to pick one for me. So far I have liked all of them a great deal. But I suppose the standout books that jump to mind the fastest are Flight of the Eisenstien and Legion.

I guess it would have to be False Gods, because it was an accurate portrayal of how Horus fell from grace and into the clutches of the Chaos Gods.

If we're going Prior to the Heresy books, I'll take Descent of Angels. I really liked it, even though 90% of the people here disliked it, sure it wasn't a Horus Heresy book, more like a Great Crusader (or Prior to) book.

Its impossible to pick one for me. So far I have liked all of them a great deal. But I suppose the standout books that jump to mind the fastest are Flight of the Eisenstien and Legion.

dont get me wrong, i love them all too. in fact, its sort of hooked me on warhammer 40K lit in general.

now when i have a flick through any other 'normal' novel i find them just a bit boring and uninteresting.

ive got all the spave wolf novels (6), the BA and UM ombius' and the first 5 HH now, im so hooked!

i dont play the TT game, as i have neither the time or skill required to paint/play. i just love the universe, have since i was 13.

the mrs thinks im crazy, but its my nerdy hobby to read them so she lets me be.

I like the first 4 the others I have read are good but unessecary really its supposed to be the Horus Heresey not lets cry over the other primarchs I just want them to get on with the story.

I like descent of angels also but don't feel it was finished.

I like descent of angels also but don't feel it was finished.

maybe 'fallen angels' will plug the gap for you?

i know what you mean about deviating from the story path, but being such a massive massive event in the warhammer 40K universe, i think not covering every aspect of it would not be doing it justice. personaly i dont mind all the back and side stories. i like to know as much as i can about it... but thats just me. if they didnt cover all the primarchs and finished the series, forums just like this one and many other would start asking questions about crap they didnt cover. so i guess they just want to 'do it once, do it right'?

Apart from the first 3 (they were just awesome!)

Battle for the Abyss..there is nothing like a world eater squad tearing things apart! And Skrall...wow, what a character lol. Pure Bad Ass!

As a Word Bearer fan, my favorite has to be BATTLE FOR THE ABYSS. It is one of the best written of the series and it shows how awesome my favorite legion is realistically..... ;) ;) :angry:

Realistically getting torn up by a World Eater using guerrilla warfare :devil:

Naw, I like the word bearers myself... but a bunch of them did die trying to stop the three loyalists.

To be fair the Word Bearers did screw over the Ultramarines a number of times with one single ship.

Oh to be sure the smurfs got a good amount of butt handed to them. But the Space Wolf and World Eater really shined in that one. Even if the SW killed a bunch of his own guys :P

But I must say watching a guy run around with a chain axe ripping other space marines apart was just brutal and awesome to read. I'm not a big world eaters fan but it was awesome. The word bearers are a mixed bag for me, I like them a lot but at the same time they're the first traitors... and that's not cool.

First place ... Fulgrim. It was a breath of fresh air as it varied the type of writing in the HH series up to that point.

Second place ... Flight of the Eisenstein. Talk about out of the fire and into the frying pan.

Third place ... Galaxy in Flames. Very exciting.

I've enjoyed them all, although Descent of Angels probably the least. That was more due to my expectations that anything else.

Galaxy in Flames was incredibly exciting to read, Legion was fantastically well done and didn't really involve Marines or Primarchs.

Mechanicum, I though, was really cool. Titans rock. I loved the political wheelings and dealings that went on between the Titan Legions and Mechanicum factions. I also really like the part where the Knight Titan emerges from behind the door in Magma City. :D

I really enjoyed Tales of Heresy too, for the most part.

Fulgrim, I will say, I found boring a bit of a drag. The Remembrancers, some of whom I grew to like and connect with in the opening trilogy, were lame and largely pointless facets of the story, simply adding length for length's sake.

Fulgrim, definitely. Simply because it showed their slide into chaos so well and because it was the only book that had me thinking "holy sh!t, this is messed up!" o_O That was when Serena had really started to descend into madness and was using all manner of bodily material to paint with...

Also the concert scene, that was excellent. When they finally became noise marines!

Mechanicum I found to be a bit tedious in the main. I liked that it was centred around someone other that astartes for a change but it was all a little too methodic - plod plod plod to the same old conclusion. However, that said, the details about the Dragon of Mars and the Emperor's grand plans concerning the Mechanicum was cool. I always like to get more info about the mysteries of the 40k universe (Descent of Angels told us about Cypher, Legion about the motives of the Alpha Legion and now Mechanium about the Dragon/Emperor).

Also the concert scene, that was excellent. When they finally became noise marines!

You know that was the last thing on my mind when I was reading that part. All I could think do was be horrified by the fact that space marines were having sex with other space marines. :yuck:

Fulgrim was just utterly awesome for the sights of sheer debauchery amongst the Emperor's Children (Come on.. the name plus what they were doing) *Snickers* Sorry.. my mind tends to wander the path of Slaneesh a bit to often.

Legion is the best, all though I hate the ending. Abnett has some trouble writing endings. (Yes I agree he is the best 40k author :wub: )

Fulgrim was allright, but a little boring in places.

I've also pictured that event as something akin to the "Time Warp" scene from the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Fulgrim dressed in women's lingerie somehow seems appropriate!

You know that was the last thing on my mind when I was reading that part. All I could think do was be horrified by the fact that space marines were having sex with other space marines. :)

No no it wasn't SM on SM action. ;) It was all the remembrancers and other people in the theatre that went nuts and started killing each other, shagging etc. The Emperor's Children that were watching just got so lost in the moment that they lept from the balcony, grabbed some of the 'instruments' and began firing them like weaponry into the audience. And that was when they first started to use sonic weaponry and thus became noise marines.

The next time the EC are seen on the battlefield they are all hiddeously grotesque with skin drapped over their armour, mouths stitched open etc... That part was cool/revolting as well. B) / :o

No no it wasn't SM on SM action. :) It was all the remembrancers and other people in the theatre that went nuts and started killing each other, shagging etc. The Emperor's Children that were watching just got so lost in the moment that they lept from the balcony, grabbed some of the 'instruments' and began firing them like weaponry into the audience. And that was when they first started to use sonic weaponry and thus became noise marines.

there were many SM's in the crowd with the remembrancers. in fact they started smashing up the remembrancers as they had sex.

it doesnt say the SM's were having sex, but then again it didnt say they werent either ;)

only the first captains were on the balcony with Fulgrim.

god that was a good chapter, my eyes were like 50cent pieces the whole time. crazy crazy crap went on in that room.

Archived