IA: Fighting Company Kuhlbert

So, I'm working on the fluff of my army, and I though I'd assemble it in IA format. Granted, it's not a full IA, as much of the information is purely Black Templar. Its more a refinement - information on the details of my forces, and how they differ (only slightly - this isn't a fully new chapter) from the Templar norm...

This is a long, work in progress, and its not finished yet... but I'd thought I'd post the start. All C&C are welcomed (and encouraged).

Index Astartes: Fighting Company Kuhlbert

"For on this day, I name our enemy. Let no warrior rest or tarry while the raging flood that is the Hive grows at our very footsteps. We have pledged our lives to the destruction of the mutant, the heretic, the witch and the xeno. Look no further than the vanguard of these Tyranids - these genestealers, and see how their seed brings forth the mutant from human lives. Foul hybrids preach falsehoods to the populace, raising heretics worshipping their twisted patriarch. Powerful are their psykers, from the lowly magus to the mighty and foul Hive Tyrant - able to twist and cover the very Astronomican with their dark shadow. And these creatures are
xenos
of the most disgusting nature and vile form, not even coming from this area of space. Mutant, Heretic, Witch and Xeno - these Tyranids are all these things. But this is not why we make this vow - no, my brothers. We have fought all manner of creatures in our Emperor's Great Crusade: Chaos fights for hate, the Eldar fight for arrogance, Necrons for death, Tau for ignorance, and the Ork for sport. But not these Tyranids. They fight us, brothers, they come, because to them _we are food_. They come to eat. Beneath thought or purpose, we are a resource to be consumed. And that I will not abide. So on this day, this company pledges itself to the destruction of the Tyranid, the foe for which we were created. Every vow you have ever taken has led you to this place, to this task. We will not fail. They say these creatures know no fear. I say that is because they have never faced us. Gird yourself with blade and bolter, armor and honor - for we go now to war."

- Castellan Kuhlbert, 824999M41, beginning of the Daichi Crusade

The Black Templars are a second founding chapter of the mighty Space Marines, formed along with the Crimson Fists from the mighty Imperial Fist Legion. The mighty warrior Sigismund was placed in command of this new Chapter, and he immediately declared a Great Crusade - a never ending mission out among the stars, fulfilling the edicts of the Emperor and taking the Light of the Imperium to the darkest corners of known space. For over 10,000 years the Templars have pursued this goal with unwavering will and zeal, making them one of the most feared marine forces in existence.

The Black Templars have never followed the Codex Astares, preferring a more fluid and dynamic structure that allows them to continue the Great Crusade. The Templars are nominally broken into large groups known as Crusades - a "task force" like arrangement led by a Marshall (or the High Marshall himself) that is assembled for the sole purpose of a specific goal. Crusades can be of any size - as small as a handful of troops or a single Strike Cruiser; up to hundreds or thousands of men, vehicles, and battle barges (such as the 3rd Battle of Armageddon). In the larger crusades, groups of Initiates are often assembled into groups known as fighting companies - a loose grouping of warriors fighting together in the crusade, pulled together through bonds of friendship and brotherhood. These companies are generally led by either a Marshall and his household, or a Castellan - an up-and-coming veteran warrior (called a Sword Brethren) - who is developing his skills to one day become a Marshall himself. These fighting companies - while part of the greater crusade - are often tasked to specific theaters in the crusade.

Fighting Company Kuhlbert is a recently formed company, having been created after the Third War for Armageddon. Although the company was created for a fairly mundane task (compared to many of the jobs that Space Marines are tasked to face), it has recently found itself thrust into a growing conflict that will test its warriors and Castellan Kuhlbert.

ORIGINS -Daichi

The man who would become Castellan Kuhlbert was born on the planet Daichi, also known as Beta Ventacorum IV. The BV system is home to three worlds of import. BV X, known as Yama, is a resource world - its vast mountain ranges providing all manner of precious ores and materials. These materials are sent to BV VII, called Metaru by the locals but FR74523 by the Adeptus Mechanicus. Metaru is a minor forge world (production grade IV-Tertius) that supplies other forge world with automation systems, armor plating, and ammunition. Daichi itself is a agri world that supplies Metaru and other worlds in the area. In addition, Daichi is home to several Knight households, who rule over the area in the name of the Imperium and Mechanicus.

The Black Templars have a small chapter keep on Daichi, which is usually unmanned but occasionally houses a small contingent of marines and servitors who are visiting to obtain supplies and repairs from the Mechanicus. And while Daichi is not as brutal of a world as many of the recruiting sites of the Black Templars, it was not unknown for the Templars to recruit promising boys from the local knight brotherhoods, particularly as techmarines. The local households spend most of their days engaged in ritual combat with each other, and the society is largely based on feudal warfare and honorable fighting. While some of the boys belong to the great households, and aspire to join the Adeptus Knight Brotherhoods, most are from normal households and spend their lives as simple knights living in constant ritual and honor-driven war.

The young Kuhlbert was a mere 13 years old when he was knighted - an event brought about by the death of his father more than any skill by Kuhlbert. His household required more warriors, and as one of the nobility Kuhlbert and his older brothers were considered to be the natural leaders despite their age.

Not a large boy, Kuhlbert was a vigorous student. Realizing his lack of strength was a liability, he took to researching tactics and strategy, always searching for an advantage over his opponent. However he also took his vows of knighthood quite seriously, remembering the words of his father: "Three things a man can truly call upon - his convictions, his honor, and the blessings of the Emperor", and he became known as honorable and skilled knight.

It was in the 15th year of his life that his family was in a war with another household. His senior brother had taken upon a vow to face down one of the senior knights of the other household, over some slight to the family's honor. However, this vow was unfulfilled, as his brother was slain in a particularly vicious battle with the enemy, his foe not even faced.

Eventually the war was ended, but Kuhlbert felt it was his duty to take up the vow of his fallen brother as the other knight had never been faced in ritual combat. He set out to face the other knight in an honor duel, to set the spirit of his brother at rest, and to settle the question of his family's honor.

Upon reaching the other household's castle, Kuhlbert issued his challenge to the door. But he was quickly informed that his foe was no longer there - several evenings before a group of cloaked individuals, giants among men, appeared bearing sacred symbols of the Imperium and the Black Templars. They had collected the other knight, claiming that they had observed from afar and deemed him worthy to join the Emperor's brotherhood of knights.

Not to be deterred, the young knight journeyed for several days to the Templar Keep. The buildings, normally quiet and abandoned, bustled with activity. Supply trucks from several of the Adeptus Mechanicus stations were loading a massive vehicle, and a variety of men dressed in black and red robes were arranging large boxes in the belly of the vehicle.

Taking a deep breath, Kuhlbert pulled on the bell cord at the front gate, and waited. A few moments later, the large ceramite door swung open. The largest man that Kuhlbert had ever seen stepped forward, looking down upon the Knight.

"Yes, good Knight?" the giant spoke."What brings you here? Templar Keep is forbidden to all uninvited."

"I beg forgiveness, lord, but it is a matter of honor." Kuhlbert strained to speak louder than a whisper. "I have heard that you have taken one Sir Gerhlan into

you midst. I have vowed to duel him, as a matter of my brother's honor. Sir."

"Your brother's honor?" The man frowned. "Then where is he? Why does he send his boy of a brother?"

"He is dead, milord." Kuhlbert dared to look up into the eyes of the giant. "So the responsibility is mine."

The man grunted, and stared into Kuhlbert's eyes with a deep look. It took every once of the boy's willpower to not turn away or wilt under the glare. "The aspirant you speak of is here, but he is beyond your reach. He belongs to the Templars now. Leave this place, knight." With no other words the man turned and walked back into the keep, the door closing behind him.

Kuhlbert stood still for several moments, seeming to weigh his options. Then silently he led his mount off the path and sat down on the rough grass, waiting. Occasionally he would get up and care for his mount, or eat from the rations that he had brought. He sat outside the keep for three days, until finally the door creaked open and the large man stepped out again.

"Still here, little knight?" the giant spoke. "I told you that there was nothing for you here."

"You also said that Sir Gerhlan was abiding within your keep, milord." Kuhlbert tried to stand as tall as he could. "So with much respect, I disagree. The rule is quite specific in this matter - for my brother I must face Sir Gerhlan."

The man sighed, shaking his head. "And I am telling you that this Gerhlan is beyond you now. You cannot see him. There is no option available to you, knight. Go home."

"There is one option, milord." Kuhlbert nearly whispered.

"Oh?" the man questioned. "I see only one - for you to leave this place."

"No, milord, there is another. I can die." Kuhlbert looked up into the face of the man.

"You would kill yourself? Foolish boy, you would waste yourself, and spill your own blood, over this matter?"

"No milord, for the rule speaks against killing oneself." Kuhlbert placed his hand upon the flail hanging from his belt. "But I have no illusions of my chances in getting past one of the Emperor's Knights, a Black Templar. I doubt I shall even land a blow against you before you strike me down. But for my brother's honor, I will do this thing."

The marine's eye grew wide, a small smirk appearing on the man's face. "You would fight me, boy? Just to see this aspirant?"

"I would attempt to, milord." Kuhlbert nodded slowly. "But I have no doubts of the results." He removed the flail from his belt.

The Templar chuckled - a loud, deep laugh. "Put your weapon away, boy. I will not have your death on my hands." Cocking his head to the side, he seemingly spoke into the air. "Werner, send Aspirant Gerhlan to the front gate. Confirmed." He looked down upon the young boy. "You seem quite cavalier about facing death, young boy. Since you seem to accept that is what would happen should you face me."

"Cavalier?" Kuhlbert shrugged. "No, milord. But a Knight is always ready to face death in the cause of the righteous."

"Indeed." The marine nods. "Well said."

Behind the marine, in the doorway, another man stood. Normal height, in his early twenties, dressed in dark sackcloth robes. The man known once as Sir Gerhlan walked forward and bowed his head to the marine. "Lord Manfred, you requested me?"

Manfred pointed at Kuhlbert. "Do you know this knight?" he asked.

Gerhlan studied the boy for a moment, then recognition dawned and he nodded. "Yes, my lord. He is the youngest son of the late Lord Alberto, whose household was until recently at war with mine. Kuhlbert, is his name."

Manfred nodded. "Sir Kuhlbert has traveled this distance, claiming to have a matter of honor to settle between you. Is this true?"

Gerhlan paused, then shook his head. "No, milord. The matter was between his brother Karl and myself, and it was settled when Karl fell in battle. Besides, I have renounced my vows to this world, and belong to the Black Templars now."

"And that matters how?" Manfred asked, holding up his hand to prevent Kuhlbert from speaking. "And you say you slayed his brother?"

"No sir, he fell in battle before we could face one another." Gerhlan shook his head. "And his honor means nothing now, I have moved on to greater things, in service to the Emperor. I serve him now."

Kuhlbert stepped forward and yelled. "As do I, coward! Our vows here are to liege, the Primarch who was, and to the Emperor who is! And you dishonor them by not facing me!"

Gerhlan chuckled and turned to Manfred. "He is just a boy, milord. Look at his size - it would be no contest."

Manfred sighed. "Indeed, aspirant, he is just a boy. Unfortunately, the boy is right. You will face him."

The smile froze on Gerhlan face. "Milord?"

Manfred turned and pointed to a pile of discarded weapons and antique armor. "Your original gear should be found there, aspirant. I suggest you find it."

Kuhlbert cleared his throat, and bowed to Manfred. "Thank you, milord. For my brother."

Manfred grunted. "Thank me not, young knight. We chose aspirant Gerhlan because of his skill in battle. I fear you will not fare well in this matter."

"That is not necessary, milord." Kuhlbert nodded. "My brother's honor will be satisfied."

Gerhlan returned, having found a large sword and shield. "Let us get this done, boy. I have greater things to do." He spoke loudly, as if addressing the crowd

of marines, aspirants, and locals that had gathered.

"So be it." Kuhlbert held up his flail in salute. "May you fight well."

The fight was over quickly, as Kuhlbert was overmatched. While his skill with the flail was impressive, and he was quite fast on his feet, the brutal strength of the larger knight prevailed. After being nicked from the broad blade several times, Kuhlbert stepped in and swung this flail. But Gerhlan deflected the blow with his shield, and swung the sword into the boy's side. Grasping his tunic, Kuhlbert fell to his knees.

"So it is done." Gerhlan spoke, and turned to Mansfred. "He is finished, milord. I am sorry for this delay."

At that moment Kuhlbert swung the flail at Gerhlan's feet. The blow connected and a splinter of bone could be heard. The larger knight fell forward and twisted, landing on his back. Grimmacing in pain, Gerhlan tried to lift himself up on his shield, but again the flail was swung - smashing Gerhlan's hand and causing the sword to falling to the ground. Kuhlbert grunted and slid over, climbing onto the larger knight's chest. While not a large warrior, Kuhlbert was in mail armor, and the weight pressed down on Gerhlan. With a gasp, Kuhlbert took his hand from his side, blood flowing freely, and with two hands lifted the flail above his head.

"I had not yielded yet, coward." He sputtered, blood dripping from his side, hands, and lips. "So now I ask you....do you yield?" A single drop of blood fell from the flail and landed on Gerhlan's forehead.

"I..I...I yield." Gerhlan spoke hoarsely, hardly able to breath with the weight of the knight upon his chest.

"For you, brother." And Kuhlbert fell to the side, slipping into unconsciousness.

Kuhlbert awoke light headed and in a well lit room. The floors and walls were a stark white, with many machines blinking and humming. Several tubes were attached to his arm and waist, connected to large bottles filled with colorful liquids. Another marine, dressed in white robes and bearing many scars upon his face was in the room. Not nearly as tall as Manfred, he still was huge when compared to a normal man.

"Ah." his voice was scratchy and deep. "You are awake, good knight. I shall inform Brother Manfred." He turned and left the room. In a few minutes, Manfred strode into the room.

"My young knight." His booming voice chuckled. "Brother Apothecary Jurgen says you will survive. And will have an impressive scar as well, I fear."

"I live?" Kuhlbert whispered. "How?"

"Brother Jurgen is highly skilled. True, you are not as resilient as a Templar, but I think your willpower more than made up for it. Besides, the sword blow was deep but missed your kidneys and liver. Once the lung was patched, all was well."

"My thanks to Lord Jurgen, then." Kuhlbert closed his eyes in the harsh white light. "And to you lord."

"So your debt is fufilled?" Manfred asked. "You are satisified?"

"Yes, milord." Kuhlbert replied. "I am greatful for the ministrations of Lord Jurgen, but once able, I shall get out of your way. I suspect I have disrupted you enough today."

"Today?" Manfred. "Boy, you have been alseep for six days, as Jurgen healed you. But yes, once he signs off on you, you can be on your way. If that is what you wish."

"Milord?" Kuhlbert turned his head, looking directly at the marine.

"You are an interesting case, Sir Kuhlbert." Manfred began to pace the room. "I shall be blunt. Your body is still to young to become a marine. And Jurgen has examined your blood and body - even once you begin the full change into manhood, you will never be a giant among men. While your fighting skill is admirable, the Templars take only the best. The universe is brutal, Kuhlbert - and only the strongest can survive."

Kuhlbert sighed. "I understand, milord."

"I'm not finished, boy." Manfred smiled thinly. "Your body and your skill are not up to the task of being a Templar, and perhaps never will be. But there is more to being a Space Marine, boy. There is the willpower. The strength of purpose. A sense of honor that confounds our enemies. And the utter fearlessness that we face our challenges with."

"Your convictions, your honor, and the blessings of the Emperor." Kuhlbert whispered.

Manfred's eyes widened, and he smiled. "Indeed. Convictions, Honor, and the Emperor. Brother Chaplain Bernard could hardly have said it better, boy. And so here I sit on this rock, sent to gather supplies and new applicants, warriors without peer. Their skill with blade is paramount on this world, their strength uncontested. We shall take them, and with the gifts of the Primarch craft their bodies into fearsome weapons. This process takes years, and is painful - it can break a man, this training. It is like the forging of a sword, Kuhlbert. We take the iron of a man and beat it against the anvil of training and tradition - slowing working the shape of the weapon. And sometimes it breaks. And as we craft these men into marines, we fill their minds with the words of the Primarch and the Prime Champion Sigismund, and lift their souls to the purpose of the Emperor. And if their bodies survive, and they learn all they need to learn, then - and only then - are they worthy to be Templars."

"I understand, milord"

"Do you? I'm not sure you do. Normally we take men who are the finest fighters we can find - with the expectation that we can teach them over the years of their conversion the ideals of honor, righteousness, and fearlessness. If the body is able, the mind will follow, it is said. There are ways. But you lie here before me, and I see the opposite. It is brutal to say, boy, but your strength and skill do not meet the level needed to be an aspirant of the Black Templars. If we took you, and put your iron on our anvil, I would say that you would break. But then I look at you, and your...your strength of convictions. I suspect I would not need to teach you those things, would I boy. You were willing to face your death with honor, because it was the right thing to do... and there are times that we cannot teach even that. So what am I to do with you? For although your body may not be there, lad - you have the soul of a Templar, to be sure."

Kuhlbert's eyes grew large. "Me, a Templar?"

Manfred sighed. "I do not know, boy. Let me be clear. You are not ready. The change would kill you. But soon, Jurgen says, your body will begin its change into manhood. At that point, in theory, the gift of the Primarch could be bestowed upon you - but is it the right thing to do? I cannot stress how tough the life of a marine is, Kuhlbert. And although I do not doubt that your spirit is up to the task - the question is - is your strength?"

Kuhlbert lowered his eyes, "So, I will remain here, on Daichi. You cannot bestow the gift upon an unworthy one."

"No, no I cannot." Manfred spoke. "So we will have to wait and see, then."

"Milord?"

"I have spoken to your Lord, your uncle. If you wish, you may join us. As serf, a menial. There are tasks that you can perform, things that you can learn. You can serve the Templars in other ways, for now. And thus, you will be with us, and we will watch you. And when the time comes, when the change into manhood begins, we will decide. But understand, Kuhlbert. Here, on Daichi, you are a Knight. You come with us, you are a serf. You may never be a Templar - I cannot promise that. You will be giving up this life, perhaps for a life of servitude."

"But servitude to the Templars? To the Emperor?"

"Always."

"Then I am your servant, milord." Kuhlbert smiled. "And if it is the Emperor's Will, then perhaps one day I shall be more."

Manfred smiled. "The Emperor's Will, then."

:ph34r: 'en excellent! I'm not a big proponent of fan-fiction, but this is very good. There are a few typos and such, but they are small and not noteworthy. Very pleasing reading material. I appreciate the originality and descriptiveness. Also your previous post about your 5,000 pt. force has inspired me to use Castellans more. Your Black Templars seem to be an excellent model for new players to seek inspiration from.

:D 'en excellent! I'm not a big proponent of fan-fiction, but this is very good. There are a few typos and such, but they are small and not noteworthy. Very pleasing reading material. I appreciate the originality and descriptiveness. Also your previous post about your 5,000 pt. force has inspired me to use Castellans more. Your Black Templars seem to be an excellent model for new players to seek inspiration from.

Thank you - sometimes its hard to pick up the typos when you're proof-readinging yourself :) Please feel free to point any out, and I'll correct them.

More stuff to come...

:D 'en excellent! I'm not a big proponent of fan-fiction, but this is very good. There are a few typos and such, but they are small and not noteworthy. Very pleasing reading material. I appreciate the originality and descriptiveness. Also your previous post about your 5,000 pt. force has inspired me to use Castellans more. Your Black Templars seem to be an excellent model for new players to seek inspiration from.

Thank you - sometimes its hard to pick up the typos when you're proof-readinging yourself :) Please feel free to point any out, and I'll correct them.

More stuff to come...

Looks good so far... I've just skimmed it, but I'll give it a more in-depth read later. One quick thing... usually the IA stands for "Index Astartes" rather than "Imperial Armour" when discussing issues relating to Space Marines... was that your intent?

Keep up the good work!

One quick thing... usually the IA stands for "Index Astartes" rather than "Imperial Armour" when discussing issues relating to Space Marines... was that your intent?

Duh... yup. Fixed. Thanks. Must of had Forgeworld on the brain.

ORIGINS - The Furious Valor

The young Kuhlbert soon found himself on board the strike cruiser Furious Valor, and assigned to the support crew. As a vassal of the Black Templars, he worked alongside other serfs and servitors performing mundane tasks beneath the marines and the prime crew. The cleaning of the ship, the moving of supplies, general maintenance tasks, all of these things were assigned to the vassals.

Kuhlbert was placed in a common dormitory for the handful of serfs on board the Furious Valor. Most everyone kept to themselves, and performed their duties with quiet determination. The marines of the chapter were now all around him, but Kuhlbert was forbidden from interacting with them. A vassal's life is only slightly above that of a servitor, and Kuhlbert and the other serfs were largely ignored as they went about their jobs. Even Brother Manfred and Apothecary Jurgen, who he had interacted with before, paid him no notice. Truly he had given up his stature as a knight and was now a mere servant of the chapter.

But even though he was not spoken to, and was certainly not included in any activities performed by Aspirants, Neophytes, or Initiates - Kuhlbert watched. As a serf he was largely invisible, and in the course of his duties he would occasionally find himself in a training bay, the launch deck, a briefing room, or even the chapel. During these times he dare not daly, and would perform his tasks and move on - but he would pay attention. And so over time he slowly began to be exposed to the ideas and teachings of the Black Templars.

Due to Daichi's relationship with the Adeptus Mechanicus, Kuhlbert naturally found himself working on technical issues. He was not afraid of the servitors, and he was familiar with some of the techo-religious aspects of machine spirits. He could often be found on the launch deck performing mundane tasks like cleaning hulls, and moving pallets of ammunition from the armory to various vehicles.

He had served as vassal for nearly two years, when the Furious Valor was dispatched to the Kyllabor system. Although he did not know it, the Black Templars were responding to a call for aid in resisting an Ork Waaagh that was invading the system. Imperial assets were already fighting around the planet, but the Templars were needed to launch a decisive blow against the invaders. Kuhlbert was on the vehicle deck when the strike cruiser dropped back into realspace from the warp.

Right into the middle of a space battle.

The Imperial Navy assets had been successful at driving many of the Ork roks out of orbit and deeper into the system. By a cruel twist of fate, the major battle was now taking place around one of the primary warp transit points, and the Furious Valor found itself directly in the line of fire of a Killkroozer under the command of Big Mek Snazburt. The presence of the strike cruiser excited the Ork Mek - he wanted to steal some of the sparkly bitz for his own vessel, and he knew that the marines usually had many darn shooty gunz. Thus, upon the appearance of the Furious Valor, Snazburt redirected some breaching roks and assaulted the strike cruiser.

Even caught unaware, the marine vessel responded in typical marine fashion. As the Orc boarders slammed into the hull, the Templars on board were spreading throughout the hull to repel the invaders. Vassals such as Kuhlbert were dispatched to duty stations, to help with damage control and perform supply runs. Kuhlbert was assigned to the vehicle deck, and along with another servant and four servitors was tasked in making sure that any fire or attack did not damage the landers and pods that would be needed later. As he approached the deck, the sounds of fighting could already be heard. Commanding two of the servitors to follow him, Kuhlbert immediately began to direct their efforts, using the advanced equipment to keep the flames away from the vehicles and ammunition stores.

A squad of battle initiates and neophytes were already on the deck, facing a determined batch of Ork boyz in fierce combat. Both sides were aggressively battling the other - using the various vehicles and storage compartments as cover, using bolt pistol and chainsword in a bloody melee. Kuhlbert took cover near a Thunderhawk that three marines were hiding behind, and commanded the two servitors to lay down fire supression foam on the wings of the huge craft. At that moment, a brace of stickbomz sailed over the body of the lander, and a huge explosion ripped large sheets of armor from the craft. When the smoke cleared, two of the marines were obviously dead, their armor shredded into pieces and limbs tossed aside. The third marine lie pinned under a large armor plate, his bolt pistol scattered across the floor and his chainsword trapped under the metal. Kuhlbert, his ears ringing, ordered the stronger servitors to attempt to lift the metal plate - but the explosion seemed to have shut them down.

Kuhlbert turned to make his way to a wall communicator, to call for help, when he saw the ork. The first xeno that he had seen in person, the creature was enormous. The greyish-green skin was pock marked with scars and fungi, and the black beady eyes were full of a simple hatred. The Ork saw the fallen marine, and gave out a guttural roar that seemed to shake the very walls. Without even thinking, Kuhlbert slid across the floor to the fallen bolt pistol. Taking the weapon in both hands, the young man tried to lift it up, slowing pointing the barrel at the Ork. The creature noticed the movement, and turned to face Kuhlbert. Seeing the new threat, the Ork roared again and began to run towards him, axe held high in the air. Kuhlbert strained with the heavy pistol, brought the barrel up...

...and with a heave of his shoulders, two-handed tossed the weapon over by the fallen marine. With a deft motion, the warrior reached out, grabbed the pistol, and shot the surprised Ork in the side of the head. Smelly gore splattered over Kuhlbert as the heavy body fell on top of him, and he fell unconscious as his head hit the steel floor.

Once again, he awoke under the bright lights of the Apothecarean. Looking to his side, Kuhlbert noticed Brother Manfred sitting in a chair, waiting.

"My lord" He whispered.

"Ah, the knight speaks." Manfred smiled. "Once again you find yourself in the care of Apothecary Jurgen, boy." he chuckled, a deep booming sound. "Although this time it was a mere concussion."

"My thanks to Lord Jurgen, then." Kuhlbert replied. "I hope I did not distract him from other duties."

"Such as Brother Amasian?" the marine asked. "He will live, although his injuries are grave. But with the proper care, he should be combat ready in a few days."

"I am glad to hear that, milord."

There was a pause for a moment, the only sounds the beeping and hissing of the medical equipment.

"You have grown boy, these last years. All that lifting has finally put some muscle on that frame."

"Yes sir"

"However, if truth be said" Manfred shook his head. "You still are a bit on the short side. Apparently tall warriors must not run in your blood."

"My father was a short man, milord. Although he was a great warrior."

Manfred held up his hands in mock surrender. "I meant no disrespect, knight. I merely state the facts. You are smaller than we like, is my point."

Kuhlbert sighed. "I understand, milord."

"Yes, although Jurgen says that you are right on the threshold for accepting the gift, the thought is that physically, you are not up to the task. That was the thinking of Castellan Ordnan." Manfred smirked. "That is, until your performance on the vehicle deck."

"My lord?" Kuhlbert stammered. "I...I did nothing, sir. Lord Amasian killed the...Ork?"

"Yes boy, it was an ork. A rather large one, I am led to believe. But do not sell yourself short, lad. You did exact what you should have done. There is no way that you could have killed that beast."

Kuhlbert nodded weakly. "The machine spirit of the weapon would not have allowed me to fire."

"True, the genotype lock would have caused a failure - but even if you could have pulled that trigger, the blast would have broken your arms. You simply aren't strong enough to fire an astares weapon. But it matters not. In the face of danger - for I am sure that the Ork was one of the more frightening things you have ever seen - you kept your head. You stood down your foe, and you did what was necessary."

"It was my duty, Lord Manfred." Kuhlbert replied. "I serve the Templars."

"Indeed you do, boy. So I suggest you shake off that blow to your head, because it is the least of the pain that you are about to face." He reached down to the floor and lifted up a bundle of black sackcloth. "There were casualties in this conflict, and a new founding is required. And after your performance on the vehicle deck, Brother Ordnan has ordered that you present yourself to Chaplain Bernard for training....Aspirant Kuhlbert."

"Aspirant...." Kuhlbert's eyes grew wide. "So, I am to become a Templar, my lord?"

"Only the Emperor knows, boy. The road will be hard. You may not survive the challenges placed upon your body."

"Then once again...it is up to the Emperor's Will." gingerly he sat up and swung his legs off the table. "So be it."

I'm with amonamarth, can't wait to see where you take this.

It's great to see someone really put effort into their armies background, and I really like that you're starting with the story of your Castellan. Very, very cool.

While brilliant, you should probobaly get into more details.

Why is standing up to an Ork worthy of Aspiranthood? The Ultramarines spend six years in military schools before age 12 when they might possibly be selected. The Red Scorpions take the aspirants in their infancy and raise them in the Chapters cult. The Dark Angels require several tests of strength and agility. The Black Templars Crusades who select from Feral Worlds make the warriors fight to the Death in massive free-for-all's, against Warriors who could easily handle and Ork. Maybe he slays a Chaos Marine? Or Necron? Orks are powerful foes, but also the one foe man has been slaying for centuries, in fact the only foe man has killed as much as Orks is other men.

Why is there only a handful of serfs on ships that are known to require large amounts of manpower to pilot and crew? Chapter Vessels are unique that the Marines do very little of the crewing, it is all done by Chapter Serfs. The Marines act as the officers for the crew. In battle a Strike Cruisers greatest weapon isn't its cannons but its thunderhawks and teleporter arrays.

Why is he too young? The age to become a Marine is 12-14 normally, and the Black Templars frequently select older individuals.

Why are the Marines so dismissive, yet so familiar when he speaks to them? I am afraid you can't have both in such a rigid military organization. It is either all or nothing, and some of the dialogue is familiar and colloquial which kind of detracts from the otherwise excellent storytelling.

What is next for the Castellan?

While brilliant, you should probobaly get into more details.

Thank you.

Why is standing up to an Ork worthy of Aspiranthood? The Ultramarines spend six years in military schools before age 12 when they might possibly be selected. The Red Scorpions take the aspirants in their infancy and raise them in the Chapters cult. The Dark Angels require several tests of strength and agility. The Black Templars Crusades who select from Feral Worlds make the warriors fight to the Death in massive free-for-all's, against Warriors who could easily handle and Ork. Maybe he slays a Chaos Marine? Or Necron? Orks are powerful foes, but also the one foe man has been slaying for centuries, in fact the only foe man has killed as much as Orks is other men.

Fair enough... although this would have been the first time that he had faced an Ork perhaps - while mankind has been facing orks for quite some time, perhaps Daichi has not. Also remember that he is already an accomplished warrior on his own world - this would not be the first display of martial prowess (consider his "duel" with Gerhlan). I first thought of Chaos, but then you run into the problem of a non-marine being exposed to Chaos... and that seemed to make bring up some questions for me. However, all that being said - I understand your point. This act/event does have the "oomph" behind it when compared to other recruiting techniques of the Black Templars and other chapters.

Why is there only a handful of serfs on ships that are known to require large amounts of manpower to pilot and crew? Chapter Vessels are unique that the Marines do very little of the crewing, it is all done by Chapter Serfs. The Marines act as the officers for the crew. In battle a Strike Cruisers greatest weapon isn't its cannons but its thunderhawks and teleporter arrays.

I was assuming a fair amount of automation - but it is rather simple to add more menials. I can do that. It doesn't change the story, really.

Why is he too young? The age to become a Marine is 12-14 normally, and the Black Templars frequently select older individuals.

I'm probably being a bit too subtle here - the point is, Kuhlbert is a late bloomer. I see the act of becoming a marine being tied to the hormones around puberty and post-puberty, and Kuhlbert just isn't there yet. So Kuhlbert is being tapped closer to 16, than the "normal" 12-14.

Why are the Marines so dismissive, yet so familiar when he speaks to them? I am afraid you can't have both in such a rigid military organization. It is either all or nothing, and some of the dialogue is familiar and colloquial which kind of detracts from the otherwise excellent storytelling.

Ah, this was a choice made on purpose, and perhaps its poorly executed. The notion is one of roles - it something that I face every day in my job, and although I'm not _in_ the military, I work with the Military a lot.

In the beginning, the conversation is Marine to Knight. Thus, even though the marine is vastly superior, he speaks to Kuhlbert as a peer, of sorts. There is a form of martial familiarity here, a mutual respect that even though Manfred outranks, and can certainly crush the skull of Kuhlbert, they are in the brotherhood of arms. Then the choice is laid out - you can stay a knight, or roll the dice, hoping to someday to be a Templar... but before you do, you must lower yourself to be a serf. In this context, Kuhlbert is effectively a new person, and is rather beneath them all. Its a matter of protocol. In the scene in the apothecarion, Manfred once again refers to Kuhlbert as a "knight" - strictly speaking, this isn't right. But he's extending a modicum of respect once more, to allow the conversation to progress at a certain level.

I deal with this all the time IRL, for I am an IT Director and Chief Security Officer. When I wear my CSO hat, I'm kinda a :), and I basically outrank everyone. But in other "roles" I don't have such standing, and I do my best to treat people on an equal level.

I do appreciate all your comments, and I don't think you're wrong - they're all valid points. I'll think some things over - particularly the underwhealming nature of the face off.

However, there is an aspect of what I'm trying to do. The traditional marine recruitment is one of the best warrior - and in the 40k universe that is usually portrayed as "who is the strongest/fastest/meanest". Without completely invalidating the marine mythos (Kuhlbert _is_ a good fighter... just not necessarily Daichi's best) I wanted to look at a warrior whose strength was, in Kuhlbert's own words - the Strength of his Convictions and his sense of Honor. In other words, a Knight (capital K, meaning its an idealized version of a knight, and not necessarily a historically accurate one). And he's overcoming his obstacles not with brutal strength or raw martial prowess - but through tenacity, skill, and honor.

What I was trying to portray in the first installment was that Kuhlbert was supreme Templar material - _except_ for the fact that he wasn't the biggest and/or the strongest. That his sense of devotion, honor, commitment and (for lack of a better term) zeal made him a Templar in his manner and actions - hes just gotta work his way through the hard stuff. And somehow Manfred sees this - but at the same time, he's not sure he'll make it.

Well, I've rambled on enough - I shall take your exellent suggestions to heart and see how I can polish things up a bit :P

Ahhhh, the life of an Aspirant....

Fair enough... although this would have been the first time that he had faced an Ork perhaps - while mankind has been facing orks for quite some time, perhaps Daichi has not. Also remember that he is already an accomplished warrior on his own world - this would not be the first display of martial prowess (consider his "duel" with Gerhlan). I first thought of Chaos, but then you run into the problem of a non-marine being exposed to Chaos... and that seemed to make bring up some questions for me. However, all that being said - I understand your point. This act/event does have the "oomph" behind it when compared to other recruiting techniques of the Black Templars and other chapters.

Ok, that is understandable.

I was assuming a fair amount of automation - but it is rather simple to add more menials. I can do that. It doesn't change the story, really.

I just think handful is the detracting term. I don't think you should go into detail, just remove handful.

I'm probably being a bit too subtle here - the point is, Kuhlbert is a late bloomer. I see the act of becoming a marine being tied to the hormones around puberty and post-puberty, and Kuhlbert just isn't there yet. So Kuhlbert is being tapped closer to 16, than the "normal" 12-14.

Ok, understandable, although what can a 16 year old serf provide the Chapter?

Ah, this was a choice made on purpose, and perhaps its poorly executed. The notion is one of roles - it something that I face every day in my job, and although I'm not _in_ the military, I work with the Military a lot.

In the beginning, the conversation is Marine to Knight. Thus, even though the marine is vastly superior, he speaks to Kuhlbert as a peer, of sorts. There is a form of martial familiarity here, a mutual respect that even though Manfred outranks, and can certainly crush the skull of Kuhlbert, they are in the brotherhood of arms. Then the choice is laid out - you can stay a knight, or roll the dice, hoping to someday to be a Templar... but before you do, you must lower yourself to be a serf. In this context, Kuhlbert is effectively a new person, and is rather beneath them all. Its a matter of protocol. In the scene in the apothecarion, Manfred once again refers to Kuhlbert as a "knight" - strictly speaking, this isn't right. But he's extending a modicum of respect once more, to allow the conversation to progress at a certain level.

Was the other marine a knight himself before becoming a Templar? Did I miss that? That might explain it.

However, there is an aspect of what I'm trying to do. The traditional marine recruitment is one of the best warrior - and in the 40k universe that is usually portrayed as "who is the strongest/fastest/meanest". Without completely invalidating the marine mythos (Kuhlbert _is_ a good fighter... just not necessarily Daichi's best) I wanted to look at a warrior whose strength was, in Kuhlbert's own words - the Strength of his Convictions and his sense of Honor. In other words, a Knight (capital K, meaning its an idealized version of a knight, and not necessarily a historically accurate one). And he's overcoming his obstacles not with brutal strength or raw martial prowess - but through tenacity, skill, and honor.

What I was trying to portray in the first installment was that Kuhlbert was supreme Templar material - _except_ for the fact that he wasn't the biggest and/or the strongest. That his sense of devotion, honor, commitment and (for lack of a better term) zeal made him a Templar in his manner and actions - hes just gotta work his way through the hard stuff. And somehow Manfred sees this - but at the same time, he's not sure he'll make it.

Well, I've rambled on enough - I shall take your exellent suggestions to heart and see how I can polish things up a bit :)

Ok, I understand now. I like what you are doing, I wish that more Templars would take the time to expand their Marshals/Castellans (and by extension their Crusades). Again, maybe Manfred was also a knight of that world before being inducted into the Chapter.

Ahhhh, the life of an Aspirant....

PM Inbound.

Archived