Sculpting Vids

After repeatedly banging my head against a wall I think I've done it now.

The video quality isn't great but hopefully I'll be able to sort that out with the next one.

My naff camera is limited to one minute twenty seven seconds and I've left out the commentary because the mic is naff. <_<

It's pretty dark as well but I'll sort something out later.

Not exactly Doghouse TV but it's a start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix73ANpIJjc

For this tutorial I've used an old terminator and had begun by placing the GS roll up against the edge where I want to create the edge.

I dip the flat edge of the sculpting tool in some vasalene and wipe nearly all of it off leaving a thin film on the tool. You can do the same with water.

1: Pushing the GS against the side of the model I begin flattening it out and pushing it into place at the same time. I do this by moving the GS downwards in a circular motion.

2: Next I begin to work on the top. I drag the GS away from the edge and across the top of the model so that it is flat.

3: I then repeat steps one and two untill I'm happy that it's fairly flat.

4: I lightly run the tool along the top edge from back to front and do the same with the sides.

5: To square of the ends I repeat the above.

Like I say the video is a bit dark so I'll redo that side but just need to know if it males sense, if you have any questions please feel free to ask. ;)

I'll try and add a commentary at some point in the future if that'll help.

This has been a test on behalf of the Doghouse broadcasting system. :D

Very good for a test, the quality is a bit annoying so hopefully you can fix that with the next one. The video explains it a lot clearer than just instructions and a few pics, this guide will definitely help with my AoBR dread conversion ;)

Excellent. Yeah the quality is pretty poor but hopefully I'll have sorted that for the next one.

What I'm hoping to do is address minor stuff at first like making berets or how to get a smooth finish and move on to more advanced tutorials for making armatures and sculpting faces/hands, etc.

It's mostly about conversions and technique that I'll be covering though.

My first real test will be the Actual Scale marines which I'm hoping will allow others to get the same results for their own marines.

I've said it before (I think) and i'll say it again (or in case I haven't already said it) Dude, you are a god!!! I dunno about the other guys but I always learn stuff quicker when I see it put into practice. Damn good tutorial though mate. Hoping your going to do more!

Ekkanus

just a quick question. If you use vaseline do you find that you have to wash the model afterwards as surely you would leave a fine film of vaseline on the model?

Otherwise great tut!

Thanks guys, I've sorted out the lighting issues and have figured out a way of doing the commentary so a new version will be up soon.

They will be short and sweet to begin with untill I can get a new camera though because I'm limited to what I can do in a minute and twenty seven seconds. :lol:

Ekkanus: Yeah I'm the same, they say a picture paints a thousand words but a video is a much better learning tool.

I'm going to cover a lot of the basics to begin with then tackle conversion projects using those techniques. So say for example making a space marine captain conversion from the plastic kits using GS or the making a marine using the Actual scale tutorial.

Stargazer:So far I've not had any problems with the vasalene residue but if you wanted to play it safe you could probably wash the model in washing up liquid after it's fully dry or just give it a quick wipe down with a fine cloth like you get for cleaning glasses or CDs.

Thanks mate. :P

If you get the chance Heresy miniatures is probably one of the best sources of tools and greenstuff so check out their website.

I'm really looking forward to the Actual scale tutorial as well. :)

I've got the next one up but lighting still isn't great. :)

For some reason on my PC it doesn't look too bad but when I upload it's darker. I'll add some more lights when I redo the hard edge one.

On the up side there is now commentary but I sound pretty dull in these vids so I apologise in advance if you doze off listening to it. :P

Weird experience listening to your own voice on the internet.

Part one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaAS4rxW3h0...feature=channel

Part two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx203bSibnU

If you can do them or if this is even possible to do a tutorial of could you do a tutorial of faces as I know they are extremely hard to do and a few pointers would always be handy.

If not don't worry.

Thanks

Stargazer

THANK YOU!!!

My only critique is that you don't explain how long after mixing the GS you wait to start sculpting...

Also, are you planning on doing a painting tutorial vid? I love how your "actual-scaled" marines were painted and am curious how you paint them....

Keep it up!

-J

You can use the green stuff straight after mixing, I mix it together then chuck it straight on the model.

I could do some painting tutorials at some point but for now I'm restricted to quick sculpting tips untill I get a new camera.

Suggestions so far that I'm working on are:

Actual Scale Tutorial

Berets

Back packs and Pouches

very nice tutorials as expected the sharp edges one was definately very helpful

purity seals would be nice thing to do

so would skulls or eagles

chainlinks

hair (although i think there are already videotutorials for that?)

fur (same as above)

cloaks or banners cloaks would be very useful

those are my suggestions/wants

• 1 month later...

...Actual scale...video tutorial...(faints in pleasure :ph34r: )

If you can then I would very nearly love you. Nearly because I think otherwise you might get freaked out :woot:

EDIT: Oh and someone might kill me...

Probably stupid question but how about a "how to mix GS properly" mine always comes out to hard and not pliable like that. I'd rather not waste my termies with bad gs.

Archived