Chaos Undecided.

Rayuzaki

Right folks, I'm officialy annoyed.... so you are going to help me fix it ;)

I know how annoying some of these posts can be but bare with me ;)

I'm starting a small Chaos army just for enjoyment mostly, this one is going to be a show/fluff army rather than a playing army, after all I've got my nearly 5000pts worth of Tau to play with.

I've decided to go Undivided, but when I say I'm going undivided I mean Pure Undivided, I'll be having no marks besides the Mark of Chaos Glory and I'll not be including any of the God Aligned Troops (A.K.A Thousand Sons, Bezerkers, Noise Marines or Plague Marines). The only exception may be on my Daemon Princes or Lord's as I'll use a mark to represent some part of their character or equipment possibly.

So I've been snooping around and rather than make my own Chapter/Cult, I've decided to stick to one of the codex ones, to be precise one of the traitor legions from the heresy.

I've narrowed down my choices and have come up with 2 realistic choices that I could see myself doing and are as follows:

Alpha Legion

Iron Warriors

So general opinons and thoughts would be great, at the very least just slap a vote in.... it may help ^_^

Thanks.

~Rayuzaki~

Well since you are doing it for show/fluff/enjoyment it really come down to which paint scheme and fluff you like more (I'm a great help I know)

I would say I like the paint scheme of AL more. Lots things to do with the paint too, hydras, dragons, scales, etc.

I've never really liked the paint scheme of the IW's (no offense to all the IW's players out there, don't lay seige to my fortress or anything ;)

And since I read the book "Legion" I've liked the fluff of the AL more too.

I'm looking at a 1-1 draw right now ;)

I prefer the Alpha Legion paint scheme, but the Iron Warriors has some great conversion potential.

Also something I forgot to throw In, what's the best way to get going with Chaos, I was considering buying this:

Chaos Renegade Strike Force

As It'd give me about 1000-1500pts, as I've 2 Chaos Space Marine squads with Rhino's already, but is there anything else I could do with getting?

Depends on what units you are taking. The more mechanized your army is, the more sense Iron Warriors makes. If you go more for an infantry based army, especially one with a slant towards choosen, deep striking termies, havocs instead of oblits, etc- then Alpha Legion makes more sense.

I would push you toward AL. I've haven't seen a whole lot of those and I've been seeing alot of IW since the 3.5 codex. Also, it depends on your play style. Are you going to use alot of tanks or go heavy on the infantry? Daemons?

Either way welcome to Chaos.

My vote goes for AL.

I have put them aside for now, seing as they have no real rules anymore... man I miss Dex 3.5.

But what I like about the AL is how they rely on themselves: the Marine. They are Elite, they are smart and they are not afraid to use unconventional tactics. Very infantry heavy, stealthy, and skilled as hell.

But I hate the new paint scheme: scales don't do for me. In my mind, AL are not flashy. Scales on something that is not a reptile is pretty much, by definition, flashy...

But yeah, go with the look you prefer of course! :D

Well, I was thinking a balanced kinda list, I'm troop heavy but they are all with transports.... so i don't know if that makes them more AL or IW.....

I prefer the idea of Havocs to Obliterators, the only way I'd have taken Obliterators would be if I played IW, but then I'm not a fan of daemons and also I'd like to use a few tanks... Vindies especially.

I think I'm leaning to Alpha Legion more as I'd prefer a more balanced play style, but are there any units in particular which Alpha Legion use more or favour?

Just to give me a feel if it's really what I'd like.

The Alpha Legion leans away from Daemons altogether. They will still use a Daemon Prince, but their strength lies in their CSMs. They'd be the ones that use Chosen extensively, steering away from cult marines and Possessed. I'm also pretty sure that Bikes, Raptors and DS Terminators would also be used by the Alpha Legion. Just keep this in mind; "Attack from all directions."

But I hate the new paint scheme: scales don't do for me. In my mind, AL are not flashy. Scales on something that is not a reptile is pretty much, by definition, flashy...

Actually, scales have always been part of their colour scheme. Even in the last edition, though they were not as visible then.

Actually, scales have always been part of their colour scheme. Even in the last edition, though they were not as visible then.

Really? I remember the greenish highlights, but actual scales? Wow, my mind must be getting fuzzy with age! :o

Never painted scales myself, obviously! :(

I think I'm leaning to Alpha Legion more as I'd prefer a more balanced play style, but are there any units in particular which Alpha Legion use more or favour?

AL likes for the enemy not to know (or know for certain) that they are there until they strike, so they would use alot of infiltrating chosen and DS'ing termi's

You could also do all undivided black legion or word bearers, both could be run as balanced and troop heavy.

AL likes for the enemy not to know (or know for certain) that they are there until they strike, so they would use alot of infiltrating chosen and DS'ing termi's

You could also do all undivided black legion or word bearers, both could be run as balanced and troop heavy.

I've decided Alpha legion all the way I think, sounds like my kinda thing plus I'm loving the paint scheme more and more.

Also the price of IW conversion packs has scared me a little ;)

Archived