Adeptus Mechanicus 'counts as' space marines

Well, this is only a budding idea of mine, as BFG and Mechanicum have gotten me far too interested in the Adeptus. Could the Adeptus Mechanicus be effectively represented by Space Marines on the battlefield? I figure there's enough deviation to allow this, especially with significant conversion.

This wouldn't be a specific Chapter with close ties to Mars, but rather the Mechanicus creating their own equivalent to Space Marines. Unless the first idea fits better, of course..

I'm not too tied to any one idea with this, I just love the idea of a Mechanicus army, but Guard and scratchbuilding aren't really my thing. Any opinions are welcome, positive, negative, or completely different!

I think SM are a good idea for the AM, you've got termies for robots/well armoured servitors, scouts for footsoldiers, tacs and similar units for better armed troops as well as dreadies, landspeeders and things like that. And the thunderfire and demolisher strike me as very Mechanicus.

I started out by building an AM 'counts as' SM army, but then migrated to the Witch Hunters list, I just don't see them as being as well armoured as an SM army. That said the new SM 'dex certainly provides some meaty options for AM lists! I's say both ways are just as legitimate, it's down to personal preference.

Archived