Black Templar Battle Report: Daemon Hunters

Aequitasx

This last Saturday I played a really good game against a Pure GK army. This guy and one other are the local C:DH aficionados and usually do quite well, if they don't win outright they come damn close.

I watched him demolish one of the most, if not the most experienced player at my local shop who was using his Blood Angels army on Friday. The BA was wiped off the board and the DH player still had 1 PAGK, Grand master + 2GKTs and a 10 man GKT squad.

We played an 1850 Point game so against me he fielded his LR, 10 GKT's, 20 PAGK's, a GrandMaster and a Retinue of 5 GKT's. The two 10 man PAGK's each had 2 x Psycannons and various other Upgrades, and the GKT's had Psycannons as well.

I fielded 2 LRC's, 2 Vindicators, 7 Terminators w/ HMH(LRC#1), Emperor's Champion w/ 4 Neophytes and 10 Initiates(LRC#2), and then a Footslogg group of 10 initiates and 6 neophytes. Comes out to 1855 or something.

I got first turn, and within the end of the shooting phase he had removed 7 Terminator models.

By the end of the game, I held all 3 objective.

He had absolutely NO troop left, his LR was still left in the back, and I had lost a grand total of 2 neophytes and HMH. It was amazing.

I apologize, I was writing this when my friend decided it was time to do Heroic Uludar.......

Turn by Turn:

Mission: Seize ground, 3 objectives, I've placed one in my start, he put one in his start, and I put one center right, in reflection of myself (Political joke.....).

1: He sets up the squad of 10 GKT to my left as far as he can. (We are playing table quarters and we've set up diagonally from one another. ) His command squad with a GM and 5 GKT to the right side of his deployment zone, with the two 10 man squads and his LR setup between the two GKT squads.

I setup my two LRC's going straight to the center right objective, my footslogg crusader squad is sitting in a ruin on my objective, and my 2 Vindicators are positioned to the left to start shredding his 10 man GKT squad.

I got first turn, moved my 2 vindicators 6" and shot both of their ordnance into the 10 man GKT. I rolled a hit on both and inflicted 4, then 3 casualties on them. 7 GKT first round is equivalent to 322 points. My LRC's both moved 12 inches and reached the objective, staying out of LOS of his LR's Lascannons.

His turn, he uses all of his psycannons to try and pop my vindicators, who are setup with front armor facing them, and do to terrain they were getting cover saves. But still, Str 6 versus armor 13 can't do :). He runs his terminator squads towards my vindicators/LRC's.

My second turn, I move 6 inches back, kiting his terminators, and take 2 more Str 10, AP 2, ordnance shots on him. They deviate this time, but by the end, he only has 1 terminator left, his BC.

I move one of my LRC's back around the middle ruin to engage the surviving terminators, leaving enough room for my Vindicators to still have LOS, but so that my LRC's payload of 10 initiates, 4 neophytes and an Emperor's champion can engage the last termie. The LRC moved 12" and it's hurricane bolters didn't manage a wound, (I have BT POTMS so if you move 12 all you can do is shoot defensive weapons, not one extra weapon like a MM or AC). The crusaders pile out, I shoot my meltagun at the last termie, and kill him before any assault takes place(lol). My seconds LRC engages his command squad and manages to get 1 termie with his MM and 2 with his assault cannon (Rendings).

During his turn, he shoots my LRC engaging his now dead 10 man GKT squad (The LRC is now within measure to flank his other forces an take the objective.) He manages to pop off the AC with a 3 penetrating roll. He uses his Psycannons this turn on the now exposed Crusader squad and manages to kill 2 neophytes (Only casualties on my side the whole game besides HMH).

Third turn, My vindicators engage his GKT command squad, leaving him with only his GM standing near the center objective. He also has 2 PAGK's that have made it to the objective, which my LRC sits on the other side of. My other LRC's Crusader squad embarks, and the LRC moves it's 6", sitting about 14 Inches from his back PAGK squad, and fires everything but its AC. He manages to kill 3 or 4, leaving me to face about 6 PAGK. Over by the other objective, my LRC comes 6" around the terrain, and my Termies pop out with HMH. His GM's force weapon kills my HMH, and my termies finish him, I did a split assault though, and had 3 LC and 1 TH/SS on his GM wih 2 LC and 1 TH/SS on his 2 remaining PAGK (They were all standing within proximity of 2" to each other)

He quits at this point because all he has left is his 6PAGKs and an LR and I have 7 Terminators, 2x LRC, 2x Vindicators, 2x Crusader squads. I have 2 Objectives uncontested and I'm contesting the only one he holds with my LRC w/ Crusader Squad inside.

It was brutal.

I apologize in advance for not contributing much with this post, but what in the Emperor's name does PA stand for? Obviously GK is Grey Knight, so what is a PAGK?

Edit: I just figured it out. XD And yes, it is a short battle report. You could try to elaborate on your tactics against him or go into details about what worked well for you or badly for him.

Although thin, I must say, this is exactly why I don't really play GK anymore. Just irritating. and the templars just have so many damn attacks it's not funny. they tear through everyone and everything. Even orks cry when they get charged.

I noticed that you mentioned moving 12" and firing off the hurricane bolters. With the POTMS for Black Templar, we can only move 6" and fire 1 additional weapon. So if we move more than 6" we don't get the option to use one of the weapons on the LRC :lol:

I know the GK crusaders can move 12" and fire both hurricane bolters. Bet they are using the powers of the warp heh

Seemed like a really good victory for you. Glad you didnt run into the problems I do when tearing apart squads with my crusaders. I always get flat footed after destroying a squad complete.

I know the GK crusaders can move 12" and fire both hurricane bolters. Bet they are using the powers of the warp heh

Yes, those are the old Hurricane Bolter rules, from our Codex: Armageddon days. In the current codex, they only count as regular defensive weapons, meaning that you can always fire both of them in addition to a main weapon as long as you don't move further than 6".

The only problem is... You just killed a bunch of the Emperors devout servants, perhaps the only people who can claim greater faith and commitment than the templars themselves. So what does that make you? :yuck: I always though from a fluff standpoint that some of the teams in this game should never fight. Templars/sisters/GK should really never be in combat against each other. Its pretty hard to justify. Sisters and templars is a bit easier just because the Inquisition is a bit suspicious of the BT. But honestly GK have zero fluff reason to be engaged with Templars. As a player of both teams though the BT are a team I would never want to have to fight with a pure GK army, that's a very hard battle to win.

Corect me if I am wrong (probably am), but dont the GK work as part of the inquisition and there fore could have been investigating and geting uncomfortably close to the truth about our numbers...

If so I see it as perfictaly acceptable to wipe out a small battle company of them as the BT do an amasing job for the good of the Emperor and I'm sure he would forgive us for a "little" indesgresion to mantain our usefullness.

Always remember the Emperor created LEAGONS not Chapters :P

Whenever I play a game of armies that shouldn't be fighting each other I consider it more of a war game then an actual practice. No live ammo is used and power weapons are actually turned off. That kinda thing.

Corect me if I am wrong (probably am), but dont the GK work as part of the inquisition and there fore could have been investigating and geting uncomfortably close to the truth about our numbers...

If so I see it as perfictaly acceptable to wipe out a small battle company of them as the BT do an amasing job for the good of the Emperor and I'm sure he would forgive us for a "little" indesgresion to mantain our usefullness.

Always remember the Emperor created LEAGONS not Chapters :D

The GK have no reason to be fighting. They kill Daemons and anyone who gets in the way of killing Daemons. The Ordo Maleus has zero reason to care how many space marines the Templars have as long as they dont worship the warp gods (and thats not gonna happen). And no neither the Emperor nor Terra would be ok with any force of GK being wiped out. They are very hard to replace and very expensive to arm and not one has ever fallen to chaos, such is their devotion to the emperor. And saying that the Grey Knights are ok to be wiped out because the Templars are useful fails to acknowledge how much service the GK provide, there are likely several thousand Grey Knights and so they are also too large for a normal chapter and they are spread out across the galaxy (again much like the Templars) fighting the Daemon everywhere.

That said, I think Rindaris has a really good point. I very much like this idea of mock warfare. It makes a good deal of sense. I've always been a big fan of team games though and the Templars and Ordo Malleus make phenomenal allies.

Although thin, I must say, this is exactly why I don't really play GK anymore. Just irritating. and the templars just have so many damn attacks it's not funny. they tear through everyone and everything. Even orks cry when they get charged.

Hahah! Cuz we'r choppier den dhose puny runtz!

As far as fluff determining who you fight on the table: I might say that is a qualifier for a Tournament or in a combined RP-Campaign like the group I run with to make sure the fluff is correct. However in the Campaign circumstances make for strange bedfellows (*gives a stern Chaplain warning glare versus poor taste Slaanesh jokes*) but some dont get along. However for just playing 40k for 40k's sake, why even bother? Hell, I want to fight em all, and would fight em all at once ;)

@ Martinus

I think you're fine, I'm a fluff nut so I have to jump in there every chance I get (forgive me :P )

@ Chonke

I like the spirit of this greatly I just have to balance my love for the fluff with my desire to play, I'd much rather crush xenos or daemon scum than fellow servants of the emperor.

Finally I just have to stick up for the Daemonhunters if for no other reason than their dex needs ridiculous amounts of love. If the guy you beat wins a great percentage of the time that's a great testament to him!

For our campaigns, fluff is very important. For example, it makes no sense for the IG player to team up with the Tau player, while the Black Templar and Chaos Marines join forces. But chaos has to team with someone or get ganged up on.

For just-for-fun matches, we throw fluff out the window and either do random teams, or someone challenges someone (or, only 3 guys showed up).

For our campaigns, fluff is very important. For example, it makes no sense for the IG player to team up with the Tau player, while the Black Templar and Chaos Marines join forces. But chaos has to team with someone or get ganged up on.

For just-for-fun matches, we throw fluff out the window and either do random teams, or someone challenges someone (or, only 3 guys showed up).

Chaos can team up with either Tyranids/Daemons/Orks and still have it justified. You can say the nids are a fleet lost to the warp that was mutated and corrupted. Daemons are obvious. And Orks can be manipulated to an extent. Although I have a rule that if you team with orks when the game is over you play an additional turn against your team mate cause Orks is for fightin!

And IG can team with Tau fluff wise cause many Imperial worlds PDF have converted to the greater good (shudder) as have a number of Gaurd units that went rogue. Necrons team with nobody though, sucks for them.

Ummm...the thread is about Aequitasx victory over the daemons that had taken on the image of the Grey Knights. But the faith of the Black Templars was unshakable so they saw through the ploy of the thrice damned daemons and banished them for it. So maybe create a different thread about the ethics of who you should and shouldn't team up with.

The deployment of the daemons was in advantage of you Aequitasx. The GKT should of been held in reserves or deployed in the LRC and used to harass your flank. Also seems like your opponent broke two important rules of as many boots on the ground as possible and to double up priority targets like Land Raiders. Your use of vindicators showed how truly terrifying they can be when used effectively. If your friend hasn't found the water tactics article by Silent Requiem on this forum I strongly encourage you to point them in that direction. It will help with them improving their game and give you a greater challenge for next time.

Cheers, Messanger

Edit - here is the Article

His turn, he uses all of his psycannons to try and pop my vindicators, who are setup with front armor facing them, and do to terrain they were getting cover saves. But still, Str 6 versus armor 13 can't do

:rolleyes:

I may have to question your opponents tactical accumen. Or at least his maths.

Archived