Talon of Horus?

I need some clarification on the number of lightning claws Horus used. some pictures show him with 2 while others only show him with 1. I know abaddon took the weapon and so he has 1 but were there really 2 of them?

Sometimes he's depicted as having two, until about 3rd edition, when he was shown with a single claw (the TALON singular the one with the integral bolter) and a mace or other wicked looking weapon. I believe this is to make him into a mirror image of his father the Emperor, who wielded a sword and power claw. In the current incarnation of the fluff, he only had one claw, the one Abbadon took after his death. If you want to find a lot of chaos fluff, find a copy of the 3rd Edition chaos codex. Or the GOOD chaos codex depending on who you talk to.

As far as models used in GW publications representing him - 2 lightning claws (in the 2nd ed diorama of Horus vs The Emperor). Forget who did the modelling... It was mostly kitbashed by the Eavy metal team (or similar - might have been a Perry???). Abbadon took one because that was all he had time for (I think).

Pretty sure that the actual Talon is a unique item. Since it's a lightning claw with a combi-bolter integrated on top of it.

Of course it's still possible for Horus to have used a pair of regular lightning claws / power sword and stormbolter / something else prior to being given the Talon.

TDA

• 2 weeks later...
Mike McVey, I think.

Indeed: Mike McVey, the first god of the Warhammer hobby. His advice on converting space marines in the 1994 Citadel Miniatures Modelling Guide set me on the road to being as big a fan of chopping and swapping space marine parts as the most deranged painboy scavenging the battlefield. :D

the most likely explanation would be that he has his custom talon with the built-in early prototype stormbolter, and whatever else he felt he needed at the time, be it another claw or anything else, he would have been the single person with the greatest access to wargear in the imperium and later of the gifts of the chaos gods, so use whatever you wish for your own purposes

As far as models used in GW publications representing him - 2 lightning claws (in the 2nd ed diorama of Horus vs The Emperor). Forget who did the modelling... It was mostly kitbashed by the Eavy metal team (or similar - might have been a Perry???). Abbadon took one because that was all he had time for (I think).

The diorama was made by Mike Mcvey. I remenber it beeing presented in White Dwarf. There was even a "making of"-article.

Edit: should have read the complete thread befor posting...

I would agree with Brother librarian hesperos and blckbuster in that Horus is the warmster so wouldnt limit himself to having a single wargear choice and would kit himself out depending on how or who he was going to fight.

to be honest i always thought there was only 1 talon of Horus. as in just about every picturei have seen of him and i have seen 3 different renditions of Horus including one in an old Codex where he had a Combi-bolter/storm bolter and a freaking Chainfist! don't know how to explain it but meh *shrugs*

I do agree with the idea that he most likely had access to just about any weapon he would want and could have it attached to his armor. I imagine the Talon is the same if Horus' terminator Armor was a custom made job by the adepts of Mars (traitor ones) it seems possible that the Talon was also a gift be it attached or seperate is up to the reader until stated otherwise.

and on the matter of him having a storm bolter or a combi :D if you think about it he had both in gaming rules in modern rule sense CSM have combi bolters but back back in the day like 2nd edition i think it was maybe some of 3rd CSM used to have Storm bolters too :P

Archived