My own multi-part Sisters of Battle kit

Looking awesome! The amount of time going into these is nuts. I have been working on just 1 cannoness conversion for 2 weeks...don't even want to know how many hours you are at.

As for shoulder pads. Honestly they wouldn't be all to hard to self sculpt. I'd do it mainly in milliput just to make sure it is firm to work with and then cast a few. Have you figured out what to use for arms and hands?

If ya need casting advice let me know, i have a few years under my belt with casting...used to work for a toy company.

Yeah i have.

For arms i've ordered a few batches of scout arms. I'm also planning to use middenheimer (i ordered a whole bunch of those sprues for the hairy heads for my white scars;)) arms for celestians and/or more senior sisters. Of course the cloth sitting above the forearms will be extended to robes.

As for casting Reich, i'll PM you with questions :P

I politely suggest using GS if you're going to try making "hard" moulds, as the slight flexibility will probably work out better for press-moulding than Milliput would. ;) For my part, I was going to use higher shore-hardness silicone rubber. Still have my prototype moulds for my project somewhere...

Invest in a silicone rubber mold + resin casting, I wouldn't go about it any other way. it's an investment but hey, you've put a lot of time into these and you want them coming out nice and crisp.

Yup that's what we have been chatting about. Just trying to find some good RTV in Australia.

Invest in a silicone rubber mold + resin casting, I wouldn't go about it any other way. it's an investment but hey, you've put a lot of time into these and you want them coming out nice and crisp.

Yup that's what we have been chatting about. Just trying to find some good RTV in Australia.

http://www.barnesonline.com.au/defaultmain.asp

The product you want is Ultrasil

Interestingly they might also be a good supplier of dence polyurethane foam (comes in a 2 part mix), I intend to make an order to there to try it and the RTV out, but I have heard ultrasil is good stuff.

http://www.barnesonline.com.au/defaultmain.asp

The product you want is Ultrasil

Interestingly they might also be a good supplier of dence polyurethane foam (comes in a 2 part mix), I intend to make an order to there to try it and the RTV out, but I have heard ultrasil is good stuff.

Thanks heaps for that, and thank you to Reich too who has been giving me a lot of advice behind the scenes on casting.

Coincidentally, semester started again today and i asked a guy from uni who did in fact play w/ some silicone/resin casting for a project last time (architecture students... we get really into our modelmaking;)) and asked him where he got his etc. He said Barnes (which i had never heard of).

I was about to order this actually http://www.amcsupplies.com.au/catalogue/in...roducts_id=1757 but seeing as i'm in Sydney, and Barnes has a retail front, i'll have a look around there tomorrow or so. Should save me some time, money from postage and a headache from needing to worry about shipping dangerous goods!

So thanks again, will post when i get significant updates.

So meanwhile, to let you know what's going on at the table without images, currently sculpting robes onto the legs (i've decided i'll cast robes too, waaay too much effort involved to be a one-off trooper) as well as trying to get a few more heads happening.

Pertaining to copyright if you sold them as gothic warrior women or sci fi soldier maidens I think you would be fine there are plenty of companys making miniatures that everyone knows are based off gw ip my only recommendation would be to leave of aquilas and any other purely ganmesworkshop symbols and you should be fine.

Great work thus far! Consider this watched, as I am more than eager to see where this goes.

As to everyone suggesting the re-sale, i'd advise keep it to PM or the topic on hand... This gentleman hasn't made mention of even having the slightest desire to re-sell, and I'd rather not slog through posts related to such (namely ones in the vein of the above poster).

Most interested to see what options you do, and if you need help weapon wise, let me know. Though hand flamers and inferno pistols ar fairly easy to do if you are sharp, which by your creations I would heavily say you are.

@ Huntzy: I dont think i'll be selling these anytime soon, i MAAAY use some as bases for further work on a commission or something, but otherwise it's just my personal army

@ everyone else:

After a few trials i've managed to get some very good quality casts and have proceeded to further model collars onto the torsos, giving me 10 final 'masters' to cast in my completed torso's sprue! i've already finished 7 of them and very close to completing the final 3, will definately have photos of the greenstuffed bodies finished by tonight, if not the final produced sprue :D:D

Keep your eyes peeled :P

Casting process was (Borat accent) 'great success!' so here it is people, my completed Sisters of Battle torso sprue. :P

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu327/Twisted-Sister/IMG_5694edit.jpg

Here's a pic of the previously shown, collarless torsos in resin, with the collars made from plastic tube, greenstuff and guitar string, to give you an idea of what is sculpted (pretty much everything besides the aquila, which was pressmoulded...). Since the picture is a stage in the casting process, i'm happy to take it down if it violates anything.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu327/Twisted-Sister/IMG_5697edit.jpg

The sprue, with a bit of black ink splashed on to bring out the details a bit more. It might look a bit messy, but that's the way quick inking is i'm afraid, will have to wait til paint to see the shapes really shine ;)

And here are the details of the completed torsos.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu327/Twisted-Sister/IMG_5698edit.jpg

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu327/Twisted-Sister/IMG_5700ed.jpg

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu327/Twisted-Sister/IMG_5702ed.jpg

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu327/Twisted-Sister/IMG_5701ed.jpg

A small update on other progress, i'm slowly getting through the legs, sculpting robes onto every pair. It's surprisingly not as painful as giving eldar legs armour plating since it's a bit bigger and a bit more interesting. Also working on another head on the side, but the way it's going it looks like i'll be getting some Hasselfree ones too.

someone needs to take these to GW and say "See?! See how good plastic SoB would be?!!" If they took this design and made a 10 sister squad boxed set (preferably with Sis Superior, special and heavy weapons too) i think half if not all Imperial players would buy at least one box for allies if not start a whole new army!

awesome work!

Lysimachus

someone needs to take these to GW and say "See?! See how good plastic SoB would be?!!" If they took this design and made a 10 sister squad boxed set (preferably with Sis Superior, special and heavy weapons too) i think half if not all Imperial players would buy at least one box for allies if not start a whole new army!

If something of these resin standards that our Brother here made were for sale...in official GW plastic. I would definitely be one of those first to get some "allies".

SUPERB standard Apostle!!! These are very fantastic! If only GW really did make these in plastic....arrgg.

hmmm this gives me ideas, i always wanted a SoB army but GW's metal models are too inflexible, it a pain to paint them AND they are really expensive, my sculpting skills arn't that great but i think i might be able to do very basic conversions on the eldar parts to make them look like SoB, thanks abostle for the inspiration

Thanks heaps for the comments folks :) much appreciated.

Dark_Claw, I was thinking the same thing! Whilst i will make attempts at bare heads(, I've ended up putting an order in with Hasslefree since it's just too easy to do so), expect helmets! I've got a concept sketch sitting somewhere under all the junk on my desk. Will scan and post eventually...

Progress so far is on putting robes on all the legs. I'm nearly done with all the plain ones which wont go through the casting process (just to get more practice at robe sculpting).... 2 left! Afterwhich i'll work on the extra-personalized ones. Rest assured, an update will be coming:)

When you get things a little more polished, i would love to buy a few casts of these "Neo-Gothic Sci Fi Female Troopers with no connection whatsoever to games workshop, its affiliates, or most importantly its trademarks." ;).

One thing - the huge amount of flashing suggests a poor fit from your mother mould. Or maybe I'm just misreading a single-sided casting with overflow, in which case there's no real need for sprue. did you know that they also sell sprue by itself made of a high-melt wax but that's still ideal for all types of casting (and not just bronze)? it's very cheap, and you'll get far far better connection and flow from those. the wood bits you're using are more or less just for show atm.

First:

Marvelous work!

Second:

Are these really one side casts? What will happen to the back of the mini?

If you plan a backpack that will hide this detail there wont be a problem of course.

cya

Archived