My own multi-part Sisters of Battle kit

When you get things a little more polished, i would love to buy a few casts of these "Neo-Gothic Sci Fi Female Troopers with no connection whatsoever to games workshop, its affiliates, or most importantly its trademarks." :D.

One thing - the huge amount of flashing suggests a poor fit from your mother mould. Or maybe I'm just misreading a single-sided casting with overflow, in which case there's no real need for sprue. did you know that they also sell sprue by itself made of a high-melt wax but that's still ideal for all types of casting (and not just bronze)? it's very cheap, and you'll get far far better connection and flow from those. the wood bits you're using are more or less just for show atm.

Thanks for pointing that out actually, it didnt seem like much of a problem since i could just shave it off, but it WOULD save a lot more effort if i didnt.

It IS a 2 part mold, it's actually from the resin overflowing when i put the 2 halves together. Another slight problem encountered is that after trimming, this overflow has gottn my torso's very slightly thicker than the masters. This i'm planning to eliminate from proper clamping or rubber banding to make sure they're pressed nice and tight.

The overflow however i'm not sure on how to get rid of. Any suggestions? Perhaps i shouldnt pour ANY resin into the sprue area at all, maybe excess resin will be forced into that area rather than out the sides to make a monster of a moldline?

As for selling, a lot of people have asked about it and i'm starting to consider it.... just pondering on ways to get around IP/trademarks; especially when it comes to things like the conversions based on eldar or marine parts :devil: I don't plan on taking any action on this at all until well after i've finished.

++Mod edit comment removed

ah, so it's not a bad fit, it's a non-presence of a mother ^^. the suggested foamcore should work well at least for starters. as for flow through the sprue, the cleaner connection offered by the wax base would give much better release of pressure, but for this case (where the mould is already made), I think just try the foamcore and if any lines fail to flow, deepen the join ever-so-slightly with a file or razor and see if it takes. Good work, and good luck :D.

These sculpts are awesome man! Great work. The only thing that has ever stopped me from starting my own Sisters army was the lack of plastic minis. I would have invested alot into that, same as my marines.

Your models look great and you should be able to make many different poses. Can't wait to see just how the completed girls come out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey there folks,

After a long absence (semester started again... painful.) just thought i'd fill you guys in on the progress with this project. I've just finished the robes on the 'standard' legs and will get working on the converted legs soon. With the torsos, i dont mind cleaning the flash so much, but it's more that the spill thickness had allowed the torsos to be noticibly thicker, after clamping whilst the resin cures, this is now less of a problem. On that note however, i'm probably going to re-make the mould for the torsos as the fine detail on them means it takes a long time for me to scrape out air bubbles with a toothpick and sometimes i can't get to all of them before the resin begins to set (no, i don't have a pressure chamber :(); or, i do them 5 at a time (duh, should really have done that instead). Anyway, here are the robed legs and a selected few detail shots.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu327/Twisted-Sister/IMG_0506edit.jpg

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu327/Twisted-Sister/IMG_0507edit.jpg

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu327/Twisted-Sister/IMG_0508edit.jpg

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu327/Twisted-Sister/IMG_0509edit.jpg

Next up on the agenda, casting the customized legs/ robing them up.

Oh, and another thing, the hasselfree heads have arrived and they look a little bit small. Having said that, i think it's not such an issue as it does emphasize the bulk that power armour offers. Also, the illusion of size might be given once the heads have necks and hair added.

Will keep you posted ;)

I wish my Sisters army looked like that, especially as mine is formed of, basically, just normal sister squads. I did a bit of light converting, as GW only make about 6 different sister models, and as my 2,000 point army has 60 sisters in it I couldn't look anywhere without seeing repeated models. Anyway, back on topic, absolutely amazing, I wish you luck with the heads, and look forward to the completed products :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the support. I have made test fittings of bodies, legs and a trimmed backpack (will take pics soon). Of course this is all teaser <_< i might put that up next time, but arms/weapons/heads i'll leave until i do some work on them.

Heretic: whilst i'd love to, i shamefully don't actually own any of the original SoB models... I'll include a marine next time i post a pic of a test fitting between the legs and torso.

In the meanwhile (quick, late night post) heres a seriously rough scribble i did yonks ago with emphasis on the helmet design. It's quite minimal and influenced by the Templars in Hellgate London as well as the classic space marine helmets.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu327/Twisted-Sister/Conceptsketch.jpg

Also note the shoulder pads are big in the drawing as i'd originally planned to use Grave Guard shoulderpads, but the online store i buy from no longer stocks them so... i'll make my own anyway! don't need your shoulderpads! O_o

Currently working on:

-robes on converted legs

-experimenting with syringe injection casting

-helmet sculpt

sketch looks good like the design changes, head looks a little small, but it is just a sketch

The sketched helm looks good, although maybe a little plain compared to the bodies? Personally i'd be inclined to do what you did with the body and have a basic shape that you could then add some different details to (perhaps including one slightly closer to the classic SoB design?) just for a bit of variation?

legs look awesome too, fantastic work, can't wait to see the finished product!

Lysimachus

When you get things a little more polished, i would love to buy a few casts of these "Neo-Gothic Sci Fi Female Troopers with no connection whatsoever to games workshop, its affiliates, or most importantly its trademarks." ;).

One thing - the huge amount of flashing suggests a poor fit from your mother mould. Or maybe I'm just misreading a single-sided casting with overflow, in which case there's no real need for sprue. did you know that they also sell sprue by itself made of a high-melt wax but that's still ideal for all types of casting (and not just bronze)? it's very cheap, and you'll get far far better connection and flow from those. the wood bits you're using are more or less just for show atm.

Thanks for pointing that out actually, it didnt seem like much of a problem since i could just shave it off, but it WOULD save a lot more effort if i didnt.

It IS a 2 part mold, it's actually from the resin overflowing when i put the 2 halves together. Another slight problem encountered is that after trimming, this overflow has gottn my torso's very slightly thicker than the masters. This i'm planning to eliminate from proper clamping or rubber banding to make sure they're pressed nice and tight.

The overflow however i'm not sure on how to get rid of. Any suggestions? Perhaps i shouldnt pour ANY resin into the sprue area at all, maybe excess resin will be forced into that area rather than out the sides to make a monster of a moldline?

As for selling, a lot of people have asked about it and i'm starting to consider it.... just pondering on ways to get around IP/trademarks; especially when it comes to things like the conversions based on eldar or marine parts ^_^ I don't plan on taking any action on this at all until well after i've finished.

++Mod edit comment removed

Wheres your air holes?

Sorry, but when you do metal casting each mold has a series of holes that go out from the inside space to allow air to escape, a larger hole allows excess metal to flow out without backing up into the works. So just put some holes leading out of your mold, and make sure somethings there to catch it.

Instead of trimming off flash you trim off a few wiry looking peices, much quicker and fairly conveniant.

• 1 month later...

Heya Folks,

Sorry about the lack of updates, assessment period... hardly had time to even sleep! anyway, a bit more free now so it's all good.

Heads complete!

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu327/Twisted-Sister/IMG_0598edit.jpg

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu327/Twisted-Sister/IMG_0597.jpg

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu327/Twisted-Sister/helmet.jpg

One or 2 of the heads might be getting a little bit more hair, but otherwise i'm happy with these.

Also, a sneak peak of the next stage... not a long stage so should be updating again in a few days with them.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu327/Twisted-Sister/IMG_0599.jpg

I'll probably be making maybe 6 to 7 styles of some very basic shoulder pads, nothing too fancy, just enough to add to the design of the kit. I'm going for more of a half barrel shape, for ease of modelling and because i wanted some individual touch from the existing GW design (Sorry Trygon, I love women in corsets too much to change that part!). One set of arms have also been worked up, but i havn't included it since my camera ran out of batteries whilst taking these shots. (Note: there isnt much conversion work on the arms though so they won't be getting resin casted)

For those wanting an 'assembled' shot, with the start of the Golden Bolter, and a 2 month holiday coming up in about a week, i'll be trying to get this kit finished asap! Not long to go!

I'm thinking of using this as a colour scheme:

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu327/Twisted-Sister/SisterRed.jpg

The Order is the order of the Bloody Rose. They belong however of a Preceptory called the Cleansing Petal, who are on a quest/crusade to actively seek vengence on the killers of St Mina. To reflect the 'purifying' nature of their mission, they've inverted their robes to show the white on the outside (but mainly because i think it looks better than black robes, hahaha). Also reflecting onto the army list, mainly mounted sisters, as well as a single large footslogging 'mob', 2nd edition artwork style :mellow: Now i have read that mixing mounted and foot is a horrible tactical decision, but i don't game much anyway, it'll be nice for display :angry: No Retributors or Repentia, but do be expecting in the future very very fluffy squads of Celestians and Dominions!

Anyway, hit me with some thoughts and comments.

Stay posted.

We are both sculpting Sister Power Armour for casting to make a Order of the Blood Rose army.

Freaky.

Anyways, nice sculpting here. I hope I can get mine to a similar quality. It will also be interesting to see how you translate the fluff of the order. My take will be based mostly on making them an image of their dark, brooding, ill-tempered and bloodthirsty Founding Saint.

We are both sculpting Sister Power Armour for casting to make a Order of the Blood Rose army.

Freaky.

Anyways, nice sculpting here. I hope I can get mine to a similar quality. It will also be interesting to see how you translate the fluff of the order. My take will be based mostly on making them an image of their dark, brooding, ill-tempered and bloodthirsty Founding Saint.

O_o Hey, you started it!

Really though, seeing that Mk1 SoB was what put the idea of an army of converted sisters :D So i do thank you for the inspiration.

As for fluff, they will be a lot grittier looking from their crusading. Meaner than the average sister who lives in a convent, imprinting of character from St Mina or just really annoyed from being "on the road" for so long? who knows... But imagry, think empire flagellants. After finishing the kit, they'll get a good sprinkle of chains, candles, purity seals, parchments, skulls etc etc etc Honestly though, i hadn't thought of how to REALLY bring out what makes them Bloody Rose. Any ideas? Or topics i could look into for more inspiration?

One more thing, I'd like some feedback on the direction of the shoulderpads. Arranged so the trim is on the top or bottom? Right now it's bottom 'cause i'd say theres enough detailing towards the collar/body, but the geometry of it does seem a little awkward. Suggestions anyone?

There is not much info on the Order. I would think that if their Founding Saint is anything to go by, trophies would likely be a common place. They might also be the type to perhaps find relief, or joy from warfare, which might make them seem slightly psychotic. But I am really just pulling things out of my head here.

And you mean MkI of my MkII, right? :D

As for the trim, I'd go for trim on top of the shoulder pad, but perhaps having both trim and under pad might be interesting.

Archived