My own multi-part Sisters of Battle kit

KBACK.

Semester just ended, just got some sleep and took some photos of a long awaited batch of updates (really sorry about size and quality of photos, did them in a rush). With just some arms to finalise, i'm so close to the end now, starting casting process tomorrow and you'll be seeing completed sisters very soon. :)

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu327/Twisted-Sister/IMG_0945.jpg

I've gone with rounded shoulder pads (thank god for pre-made rivets!!!) here since the barrel's just seemed too big and masculine looking.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu327/Twisted-Sister/IMG_0946.jpg

Backpacks have been cut down to a more reasonable scale.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu327/Twisted-Sister/IMG_0947.jpg

15 down....30 to go...

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu327/Twisted-Sister/IMG_0949.jpg

And here are some customised bolters which i didnt plan to do at first, but to avoid copyright issues... anyway. A bit sleeker, more machine-pistol style bolters.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu327/Twisted-Sister/IMG_0950.jpg

Preview of arms (still a little bit more work to be done...)

Stay posted, can't wait to get assembling on models rather than making bits!

would ibe right in saying you based your modified Bolters on the MP7 pattern PDW by H&K? and great work on the Sisters so far. i hope you see this through to completion.

10/10!

From what you said about copyright, I assume you want to cast and sell these, right?

The problem is, even if you change the basic look of the GW parts, the fact that you used them as a base for your casts is already copyright infringement. Given the way GW deal with a couple of websites lately, they'll probably sue you without even a warning.

If you want to sell casts of your stuff, you can't include ANY GW bits.

It all looks great and I can't wait to see the results but if you really want to sell them, you'll have to build everything from scratch

From what you said about copyright, I assume you want to cast and sell these, right?

The problem is, even if you change the basic look of the GW parts, the fact that you used them as a base for your casts is already copyright infringement. Given the way GW deal with a couple of websites lately, they'll probably sue you without even a warning.

If you want to sell casts of your stuff, you can't include ANY GW bits.

It all looks great and I can't wait to see the results but if you really want to sell them, you'll have to build everything from scratch

I was thinking that myself... still doesn't mean I'd want them any less ^_^

As Cathar has eluded to, there is a very fine line when it comes to the casting and selling of bits, especially those that have been heavy modelled after GW IP. Although we do allow the casting technique to be utilised by individuals for their own personal use, we at the B&C frown very heavily against the idea of casting of GW IP followed by the selling of these cast items.

It's a pain i know, however this is one legal aspect that we do take very seriously for the board and it's members benefit.

Hey Apostle,

there is one thing really chewing on my mind, and i cant help myself...

What on earth do you do, to get the Torso forms filled so nice and completely with resin?

Whenever i try to fill the form with the resin, it keeps bubbles inside.

Simply put: With the torsos on the side and the sprue line in the middle - how do you explain to the resin to go and till out the torsos, and wehre does the ait go, thats inside of them?

Is there a trick or a tool, that i just dont get?

amazing work mate truley they are how goes mk2 angel armour?

That's mine.

Anyways, I am sorry to say but it is hard to avoid copyright issues when your still using GW plastics for the guns. They way your putting it would be comparable to getting a Scibor model, chopping it's legs off, and then casting it, claiming it is your own. It just does not work like that.

And on the subject of backpacks. I have a feeling that as they are now, they might still look too big. I had this problem with my first version of my Mk II Angel Armour design. I countered this by decreasing the width as well as the height.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/Terrible_Trygon/Sisters%20of%20Battle/MkIMkII.jpg

God...that sculpting is iffy...

Thanks all for the input, i really do appreciate it as it's something i've been considering for a while. I'm hardly after the $$ so i guess it won't happen then! nowhere near the complete kit if it does anyway... It was something i was already concerned about months ago when i was modifying the eldar legs, and they're far less recognisable than the guns. Anyway, i'd like to ask contributers who want to discuss that particular aspect of the thread to keep it to PM's. I've already been addressed by mods to not openly discuss 'that' topic so let's keep it to the models ;). With no more commerce in mind, i can only hope you folks enjoy seeing my work then ;)

As for the plans for (personal) production, I'm rethinking my mould-making process and i plan on re-doing the moulds for the torso's and legs, with smaller numbers of parts made per mould, which would hopefully give me more time for quality control per part, as well as actually having air channels for the torsos.

@ Trygon & dark_claw: lol, i saw that late last night before getting some sleep... say... how DOES the mk2 Angel armour go? The backpacks have already been shortened width-wise, and with the shoulder-pads, it looks alright. A minor problem is that they seem a little too thick right now, but i guess i'll find out once i get my casting done (going out for more RTV today!) Scale-wise they're pretty much the same height as marines (not true-scale), more slender of course, but same proportions (think eldar guardian size actually...).

@ Kanan: Not particularly, but now that you mention it, yes it does come to mind!

@Capt Nuss: I pour resin into both halves of the mould (one is much deeper than the other, so the other is more like a 'lid' ) then whilst the resin is still fluid, i stick the head end of a pin into the mould and gently but quickly scrape along the rivets/areas where air might catch. The problem with that, as you can see, is that i get a lot of overspill, which results in a lot of flash around the torsos. Of course, this can be trimmed easily if i get them out of the mould soon, but it's still something that makes me want to re-make the moulds to be more practical

As for others who would like to get their own, i'll be happy to do a tut on how certain parts are made if there's demand for it. So if you dont mind making your own i'll be happy to show you how ;)

Expect to see some assembled sisters (hopefully) in a few days...

;)

Oh well, so you have the 2 halves of the form, pour in the resin in both seperately....?

Do you put them together to dry then, or do you wait till the resin is hard, and glue the parts together afterwards?

I've also experimentes quite some time with the mold making process, and i must say ma results with metal are still much better than with resin.

I must do something terribly wrong.. but well, i'll keep trying. :) Thanks so far, mate.

Simply gorgeous. It is wonderful to see such good work done. I am afraid that I do not have my casting equipment set up to allow any reproduction of anything I have done (other things like a car constantly having SOMETHING wrong with it and other bills really eats into the available budget...)

The bolter variants look really nice, I like what you have done with the clips.

I like the "cut" bolters, I think the regular marine bolters are a bit big, ezpecially for my kit. I think that maybe the plastic cadian lasgun, if you cut it down in the right spot... You would then add the barrel to be a bolter, I think that's what I am going to try, even if it's just for scale.

Oh and I like those studded shoulder pads!

:D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there folks!

Almost exactly 6 months after i first started this topic, comes the post you've all been waiting for :Troops:

Terribly sorry about the delay, i had final parts running off the production line about 2 weeks ago but i've since moved all my stuff to my second home. Many things had to be sorted out but most of all a lack of a camera that could take macro (my good camera doesnt have the lense for it:(). So without further ado, here are some completed multi-part sisters of battle!!!

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu327/Twisted-Sister/taio272.jpg

These are the ones i have built so far. The fitting is ok, there is of course still putty work involved as bubbles form in the resin or the arms and hands dont fit particularly flush. Still, i am very happy with the degree of variety i'm able to achieve with these parts and the scope for potential further conversion that this holds. (I'm thinking of a Dominion or Celestian squad for the Golden Bolter... but more on that later.) Here are some more detailed photos. Ps. excuse the photo quality, white is a bit hard to shoot and i couldn't get around to inking them. I've already photoshopped higher contrast shadows.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu327/Twisted-Sister/IMG_6606.jpg

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu327/Twisted-Sister/IMG_6607.jpg

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu327/Twisted-Sister/IMG_6609.jpg

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu327/Twisted-Sister/IMG_6610.jpg

I've added some basic parchments/purity seals onto them, as well as some parts from the Empire Flangellant range. Since the bolters cover up a lot of the work i put into the torsos, i'm also going to do quite a few models with their arms away from their body, (which means i also get to use the my scout arms...) like so:

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu327/Twisted-Sister/IMG_6612.jpg

Also i've whipped up an army list. I'm not so much of a gamer, having not played a game in about 8 years, but instead i'd like to create a very characterful army. I understand Dominions arn't a real favorite of experienced WH gamers but i'm thinking they'd make for a colourful army. Also hearing bad things on the footslogger + mech... though i'm a bit more flexible on that. Please offer suggestions however :Elite:

HQ:

Canoness Preceptor Juliet - 145

- Canoness

- Inferno Pistol

- Jump pack

- Cloak of St Aspira

- Mantle of Ophilia

Elites:

Celestian Squad Amelia - 228

- 6 Celestians

- 2 Meltas

- Veteran Sister Superior Amelia

- Eviscerator

- Prasaedem Protectiva

Immolator

- Twin Melta

- Extra Armour

- Dozer Blades

Troops:

SoB Mob Mariam -261

- 20 Battle Sisters

- 2 Storm Bolters

- Veteran Sister Superior Mariam

- Storm Bolter

- Auspex

- Book of St Lucius

SoB Squad Margerita -226

- 10 Battle Sisters

- Melta

- Heavy Flamer

- Veteran Sister Superior Margerita

- Plasma Pistol / CCW (or Bolter so she can shoot when out of PP Range?)

- Book of St Lucius

- Rhino

-Extra Armour

- Dozer Blades

Fast Attack:

Dominion Squad Burn 'Em Dead - 256

- 10 Dominions

- 4 Flamers

- Veteran Sister Superior Bernadette

- Bolt Pistol

- Brazier of Holy Fire

- Bionics

- Book of St Lucius

- Rhino

-Extra Armour

-Dozer Blades

- Pintle Mounted Storm Bolter

Seraphim Squad Angelica - 231

-8 Seraphim

- 2 Twinferno Pistols

- Veteran Sister Superior Angelica

- Eviscerator

- Plasma Pistol (?)

Heavy Support:

Exorcist - 140- Extra Armour

Total: 1502 pts

Although i say i want a fluffy army foremost, please offer thoughts on how the list could be improved. Perhaps splitting the SoB Mob for a mechanised unit? On the modelling front i'll try knock off the bolter girls first before dealing w/ special weapons or characters...

Anyway, this looks to be one of the last posts i'll be making for a month as i'm heading to Nepal on monday to volunteer for a month. Hope you've enjoyed these, and you can look forward to seeing some paint progress when i return in early January TWENTY TEN!!!!

Enjoy your xmas and new years brothers.

-Out-

Extremely wonderful SoB. I love how sleek they look. The only thing I don't like......are the bolters interestingly. They look too bulky, and I like it just takes away of the sleek nature of the models. But that's just me. Otherwise, Amazing!

Archived