FAQ: Painting Salamanders

Get a bottle of Simple Green at Wal-Mart for like $5 bucks. I've used it myself on plastic minis and can attest that it works really well without damaging them. It's much better than the alternative of painting over it and obscuring detail

My way of painting is as follows: paint model knarloc green, then paint snot green over this, wash asurman blue, highlight 50:50 scorpion and snot green.

My local store's way: spray white, 5 washes of thraka green ( they have the same sorta colour but those ones have highlighting already done)

ok fine i would buy some Paint Stripper (or whatever)

if some people who live in England tell me where to buy it

let me clear it up I DON'T LIVE IN THE USA

i like Salamanderdarkel...'s way of painting it sounds good

can i ask Salamanderdarkel... whether he could show me some of his models

so i know how they look?

but why but blue on a green model?

if possible Salamanderdarkel if you show me some of your stores models

as then i know which one i like best ;)

keep other ideas coming

and where i can buy some paint stripping stuff (or simple green or whatever) in the UK

thanks you guys

Athiair :D

• 2 weeks later...

ok guys

not to sound picky or anything (sorry if it does)

but could some one give me a list of instructions on painting the Salamanders with relative ease and qucikness

thanks a lot i thought (shoot me if i am wrong i haven't tried it out)

1. Black Primer

2. Knarloc Green (the foundation one)

3. Snot Green on the main armour.

4. Second Coat of Chaos Black on the Shoulder Pads

5. Boltgun Metal on the bolter Highlighted with Chainmail

6. Highlight armour with Goblin Green

7. Highlight Black with Shadow Grey (i can't remember)

thats about it do you think it would work or not

if not tell me yours please

athiair -_-

1. Black Primer

2. Knarloc Green (the foundation one)

3. Snot Green on the main armour.

4. Second Coat of Chaos Black on the Shoulder Pads

5. Boltgun Metal on the bolter Highlighted with Chainmail

6. Highlight armour with Goblin Green

7. Highlight Black with Shadow Grey (i can't remember)

That's the recipe I'm using for a bright green on my Falcon Guard, turns out pretty good.

http://b.imagehost.org/t/0839/DSC00270.jpg

thanks tengu thats a real help ;)

something i would like to know

is should i do a wash of thraka green over the knarloc green before the snot green

or wouldn't it work?

i hope it does as i really want to use the washes

if it doesn't work could it work else where in the painting

i have a test model waiting so i just need to get the paints

i'll be getting them tomorrow so i really need your quick advice

thanks guys

Athiair ;)

I've not given the wash a go yet, I'm trying to decide whether I want to highlight first then wash or wash then highlight. I spoke to one of the staffers at GW and he said that Thraka Green doesn't really work as a shade, rather it intensifies the green underneath it, which in my book makes it worthless as a wash! He recommended I try if first on a test model to see what I think and that he would mix it with either brown or black to make it shade better. Does anyone have any experience with Thraka Green?

I used it on Cursed Eldar that had snot green on em. It darkened the green and got all up in the crevices and sorta shaded. Didnt work as well as some of the other Washes I've used but it was better then the Red and thats all a wash needs to do to be ok in my books.

i've started painting my tester models

i have 3 vairents on the scheme

1. Knarloc Green/Thraka Green/Snot Green/Goblin Green

2. Knarloc Green/Snot Green/Thraka Green/Goblin Green

3. Knarloc Green/Snot Green/Goblin Green

i shall see which i prefer and then go that way

thanks for your help

Athiair :devil:

The post below is chopped from my blog, ignore the bits that don't make sense:

Decided to test a couple of methods for painting Salamanders marines, if I enter the comp I think it'll be a Sallies Terminator now...

gallery_385_2532_1321.jpg

With my dodgy photography there's not much difference between the two techniques really, but the one of the right is a little darker in real life and I think will allow for greater depth on a larger scale. Note neither is actually highlighted yet, that's essentially the base colour you're looking at now.

Left hand Marine:

1. Black undercoat
  2. Knarloc Green
  3. Knarloc Green/Snot Green: 50/50
  4. KG/SG: 20/80
  5. SG
  6. Badab Black wash
  7. Thraka Green Wash

Right hand Marine

1. Black undercoat
  2. Orkhide Green
  3. OG/Snot Green: 75/25
  4. OG/SG: 50/50
  5. OG/SG: 25/75
  6. SG
  7. Badab Black wash
  8. Thraka Green Wash diluted 3:1 with water to make a glaze to ease the transitions

As I say, in this pic, at that scale not a lot of difference. In 28mm I think recipe two will take longer (naturally :rolleyes ) but produce a better result.

Yes, I did cram that many layers on an Epic figure and there's still highlights to go :P

I'm firmly of the opinion that you need to at least add a Badab Black wash into your recipe Althiair. if you go from KG straight to SG and don't darken it I think you'll end up with a colour much closer to Goblin Green than Snot Green. I know that as I worked through my left hand recipe I was worried about the pastel nature of the colour, it really took that little extra Knarloc Green and the black wash to bring that guy together with a proper Sallies colour. Even repeated applications of Thraka Wash are going to struggle to remove the pastel and give the crooks and crevices of the armour the right depth, evenone layer of Badab would really help with that I think.

If you're determined to minimise the steps in your recipe I'd seriously look at Orkhide Green as the base rather than Knarloc, the darker is definitely the place to start in my opinion.

Also go see Captain Chapel's Salamanders and check his last post to see how dark his Sals started. That dark green allows a much greater degree of subtlety and shading in your work I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

As titled, i've searched around, but not gleaned anything really useful about painting salamanders. I'm only painting one, so would ideally like to get it right :>

So far the idea is (once I've finished weathering the metal) to repaint armoured areas white, apply a few thinned coats of snot green (so a very bright colour)) and highlight with snot green/scorpion, scorpion, scorpion/sunburst (add white for final highlights). Before weathering back down.

Would this look like salamanders to you? or would this bee too bright?

thanks all!

pics in WIP soon :>

• 7 months later...
Okay, so basicly im looking for an easyer way to paint up some Salamanders. I dont particularly want to go with GW's method, with the line highlighting, since i dont have a steady enough hand to make it come out looking all that good. So i was hopeing to get some other ideas to get good tabletop quallity marines fielded quickly.

Or here, if you want a different take on the mehtod altogether. Is is a tutorial on how to paint coloured metal.

Turns out something like this.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z178/the_lord34/IMG_1739.jpg

See my sig WIP thread for more pictures of green goodness.

• 2 months later...

HI guys..

I have done a search and found several guides to paiting salamanders but having tried most of them I just can't get it right & end up stripping all of my test models. I'm not a great painter although have had some success with my Crimsons Fists (Base: Chaos Black, Paint: Regal Blue, Wash: Asurmen Blue, Highlite: Ultramarine Blue). This seems to work well for me and is easy enough for me not to mess up, whilst being quick enough to get some models on the table.

Does anyone have any techniques or suggestions how I could paint my Salamanders in a similar fashion ? (I mainly use GW/Citadel paints but am willing to try others if needed). I also have an airbrush en route to help me speed up my painting if there is anything I could try with this.

Please help otherwise I fear my Sallies will never see the table..

Thanks

Do a similar thing with your sallies!

Base: Chaos Black

Paint: The Green Triad...Products 19019 through 19021 Use for high/lowlights, and base

Washes:You don't really need them, but you could experiment and try to use various washes to achieve great effects

Try reaper paints, they are fantastic paints in themselves and are quite easy to use. GW paints aren't great but at times they can be very useful. Especially the washes.

Archived