Horus vs Emperor

NovaPulse

Has the final battle between Horus and the Emperor taken place in any of the Horus Heresy books? If so which book is it. I'd like to know how many more HH books I need to read to get to the part I actually care about. I've read the first 3 already great, but I've heard the remaining books in the series are basically spin offs and the same tales from a different perspective.

Thanks for the guidance!

There are currently about 10 HH books, the newest being Mechanicum. I wouldn't expect to see "the showdown" for a fair while yet either, because once its been written, where can the series go? At the minute the books are showing how the course of events (corruption of Horus and traitor legions) is affecting the various races/groups of the Warhammer universe, through the eye of the Loyalists, Mechanicus and the SM legions to name a few.

Although, none of the books are "spin offs" because they are all part of the series, the books are just answering questions, like "how did the Dark Angels come about?", "What happened to Fulgrim?" and "What did the Mechanicus do?" . Stick with it though, its one of the best series outside of Gaunts Ghosts and Eisenhorn series (I'm an Abnett fan btw).

And the soon to be "Prospero Burns". It will definitely take a year or two for us to get to the Final Showdown. I mean, we just had the original Isstvaan ambush a few books ago, and the Heresy has quite a bit of blood to be spilled before the assault on the Emperor's Palace.

Also remeber with the number of legions involved at the ambush we could well revist that battle 3 or 4 or a half a dozen more times from differnt prosepectives. Hell if we are to get anything about the Salamanders, Raven Gaurd or Iron Hands from befroe the scouering the book should at least end at Istavan V. I think all the legions deserve more then just a nod even the ones who end up traitors.

It has not been written yet and will probably take a long, long time before they actually do.

Actually the final battle between Horus and the Emperor has been written by Graham McNeil in the Horus Heresy collected Visions art books. While it's not in the heresy books technically, it is still a detailed story of the fight and while the information may be quite general about the battle for the palace, it still gives a good account.

Personally I would suggest you buy the Horus Heresy collected Visions art books, it's about 25% story and 75% art, but it's a fantastic book and gives a great overview of the Heresy with awesome artwork, another reason why you should get it is that writing about the final battle in the Horus Heresy books is years away.

EDIT: Added info

• 2 weeks later...

Additionally in the Collected Visions book, there is a novella-length story that you MUST read before Mechanicum if possible, as it ties in directly with it.

I think the actual Battle for Terra will happen in some kind of omnibus fashion. An omnibus placed into one book, as if you were to get Eisenhorn...before Xenos, Malleus, and Hereticus were ever released.

• 2 months later...
Actually the final battle between Horus and the Emperor has been written by Graham McNeil in the Horus Heresy collected Visions art books. While it's not in the heresy books technically, it is still a detailed story of the fight and while the information may be quite general about the battle for the palace, it still gives a good account.

Yup.

Horus Heres: Collected Visions.

Blow by blow account of the final showdown.

Awesome. Kinda hilarious how powerful the Emperor is really. Too bad he didn't just sneeze and vaporise Horus to start off with to save himself 10,000 years of Golden Throneage tho.... ;)

How so many people are in the dark about this I just don't know...

The final battle on the bridge of the Vengeful Spirit was covered as a very short story by Bill King, which I think was published in White Dwarf... 161, iirc, alongside a much larger mini-epic, that went on for about five pages, detailing the Siege of the Emperor's Palace.

The final battle on the bridge of the Vengeful Spirit was covered as a very short story by Bill King, which I think was published in White Dwarf... 161, iirc, alongside a much larger mini-epic, that went on for about five pages, detailing the Siege of the Emperor's Palace.

I believe these are actually the ones that appear in the HH art book. :)

That depends. I think the on in White Dwarf included the Armor Chink that Sanguinius made that the Emperor used to slay Horus... new canon is that the Emperor was so powerful he didn't even need a chink; Sanguinius instead went knowingly to his death (prescience) and still pleaded with Horus to reverse his course, before it came to battle (a battle in which the already-weakened Sanguinius could put up little resistance).

I always thought it was funny that they acted as if a chink in Horus' armor was going to make the difference between The Emperor vaporising Horus or not :rolleyes:

The only reason The Emperor had any trouble fighting Horus at all is because he didn't want to kill him...

<_< CAUTION HERETICAL PERSONAL VIEW AHEAD :HQ:

I have given up on the HH series, and the BL in general, for a few reasons:

1) The HH series felt like those magazine series where you collect all 52 parts week by week, but they go out of print by issue 47, and if you miss an issue it's all been a waste of time; slowly going nowhere, at £6.99 a time.

2) Though for me Eisenstein and Mech stood above the rest, they were still nothing special; put them up against Jules Verne, John Wyndham, Mary Shelley, Bram Stoker, Philip K Dick: no contest. If they weren't writing about a subject we're already into, we'd be dismissing them with a laugh.

3) I found the negativity/violence/misery/grimdark in the books was actually infusing my attitude to the game, and I play for fun and cheery escapism from a world already containing too much dark; I found myself more angry after reading them; fortunately TSOALR was the antidote!

I will be checking out the Collected Visions book mentioned above though, I'm not anti-fluff, just anti Black Library!

<_<

You know the Warhammer 40,000 tagline is "In The Grim Darkness of The Far Future There is Only War" right?

I think a lot of things in life will disappoint you if you compare them to the best of the best of their kind in human history.

put them up against Jules Verne, John Wyndham, Mary Shelley, Bram Stoker, Philip K Dick: no contest. If they weren't writing about a subject we're already into, we'd be dismissing them with a laugh.

Those are high standards to impart on the BL stuff. Yes, in comparison to Jules Verne, Mary Shelley, and Bram Stoker the BL stuff is not that amazing but the same could be said about 95% of all other sci fi books. Its a bit hard to compare specialized fiction to stuff that defined whole genres.

A lot of people run into this problem, if you read these books expecting them to be the best books ever, you will probably be disappointed. Instead you should read them a quick fun reads that at the most expand the back story to the game you play.

...A lot of people run into this problem, if you read these books expecting them to be the best books ever, you will probably be disappointed. Instead you should read them as quick fun reads that at the most expand the back story to the game you play.

Absolutely, and I also enjoy fast light reads; I've only read Frankenstein once, but Jurassic Park about 6 times!

My point about it being too Grimdark was the more important one for me, and that they just weren't fun to read.

Hope I haven't offended, I am a Hello Kitty Marines/Flowercron fan, and like a lot of sugar on my warfare!

Archived