Two New Initiates

My two newest Crusaders. On the gentleman holding the powersword an appropriate sized rock will be added under his foot. I am aware of the bit of green stuff on the powersword and it has been removed :blink: . Please any C&C welcome before painting begins.

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww246/mwshepherd86/100_3045.jpg

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww246/mwshepherd86/100_3046.jpg

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww246/mwshepherd86/100_3047.jpg

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww246/mwshepherd86/100_3048.jpg

Your modelling skills are clearly very good TemplarMathias: all the construction work and gs looks pretty clean to me. I have to say though that the animation does not look right to my eye. For #1 I would say that he would look fine in 2 circumstances:

• If he was wearing a jump-pack.
  • If he was jumping down into melee from a great height (high enough so that it'd probably be a display piece and not a gaming piece).

In other words: the pose is well executed; it just seems to me that it doesn't fit the situation of the basing.

The 2nd figure's legs are just at an odd angle, especially from the side.

And that's it really. I am sorry if these comments seem unduly critical; but I have minis of my own which I'll never use because my efforts to pose them failed quite utterly, and far worse than both of yours. Anyway, I hope this helps. :blink:

The conversion work is good, but the posing is awkward. The first model looks as if he tripped or is trying to fly. The second model, err well i dont know what he is supose to be doing? stomping the ground and pointing? overall good conversions, need work on your posing, but who am i to talk i couldnt even do that :/ just my advice though!

The first guy is supposed to be performing a superman punch type maneuver with his powerfist, while shooting his foe. The second will have his foot up on a rock(rock currently missing), holding the lantern out with his sword at the ready surveying the field of battle. Maybe knowing what they are supposed to be doing will with the awkwardness some. I'm sure it needs work though if its not obvious what theyre doing lol. Thanks brothers, keep it coming.

I myself really like the poses. The first one has a certain John Woo or Hot Fuzz feel to it. Surely your Crusade has fought on enough planets or space hulks that they've learned how to maneuvre in low to zero gravity, and because of this I find it a completely plausible manner for your initiate to be delivering a haymaker. What looks awkward to me, though, is the amount he has craned and extended his neck. Perhaps a little less? I think such articulation would be constricted by the armour and the thickness of a marine's physical neck.

I picture the second initiate bringing a little ray of the Emperor's light to some foresaken shadow on an equally foresaken world and using it to flush out some traitorous scum. Maybe consider bringing his left foot to be pointing more or less at a right angle to his left foot. Something about his feet make the stance appear too wide to be ready to deliver a cutting arc with the powersword. If he's just pointing out the traitorous scum with his sword for his fellow squad mates then the pose might be alright as it is.

I enjoy seeing your creative conversions. Keep them coming.

The first mini' pose works as a pose; that is to say, the dynamic relationship between the body parts adds up nicely. My issue with it is that I can't see how the marine got there, if that makes sense.

As for the second mini, it looks great from the front; which means that you have carried off your basic intention TemplarMathias. Like SpudWhitman, I just feel that the legs don't look right; his suggestion about the left foot would move towards correcting what I feel makes the pose look unnatural. :lol:

I may not have stressed what I thought was right about the minis in my first reply; I certainly didn't offer any practical suggestions. For that, my apologies. :D

Brothers, thanks for the feedback and keep it coming. The first mini got into his position by jumping and leaning forward. In MMA they call it a superman punch or flying punch. I can definately see where you all are coming from on the mini with the lantern. I dont believe it will be a difficult fix. I'm posting these before I paint so I can make adjustments and I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks Brothers!

the first mini is completely awe inspiring in my opinion.

on the second mini a small suggestion: along with fixing the feet, maybe switch the hands as well? i.e. have the forward hand holding the sword and the rear hand holding the lantern.

think i might try my hand @ the jumping marine in time.

on reflection, the hand swap might prove a little more difficult. i think it might enhance the epic-ness-osity if he were holding the sword out from his body, halting the squad while he sheds light on a heretical sight.

Archived