[Daemon review] Hobby.

To be honest, I have little idea how we're going to do this. I figure we'll do a couple of tutorials for different models (I know there's a couple of tutorials in the librarium, but if we just link them this will be a very short section) and then maybe some advice on more unusual conversion/paint work. Possibly some advice on actual collecting as well, such as where to get the more expensive models cheaply, or good models to proxy with (like dryads for horrors).

Simple fact of it is, I'm more of a gamer than a painter/modeller. I'll happily continue writing it all up, but it really will be me simply regurgitating what we say in this thread.

So before we begin, let's hear your suggestions on how to go about this thing.

Simple fact of it is, I'm more of a gamer than a painter/modeller. I'll happily continue writing it all up, but it really will be me simply regurgitating what we say in this thread.

I'm the same way, any conversions I do are really simple/easy/basic ones.

So what are we looking to accomplish with this section really?

Well, the first thing to do would be to list the units with no offical models (Bluescribes, Fateweaver, Skarbrand, Seekers etc) and showcase some conversions of them - OMG's Fateweaver and the Skarbrand on the BoLS website are good places to start. Then list some potential proxy models for them.

See if anyone has any ideas for themed Daemons lists using other models - for example Tinfoils Corrupted Guard army (Warseer) or the Slannesh which uses lots of sculpting and reposed Daemonettes (the name escapes me, it's on Dakka though!)

Finally, alternative Daemon Princes - the FW ones or scratch designed ones are good here as the stock models are (IMHO) terrible.

A discussion of alternative models might also be appropriate. Demons are a mostly metal army and by discussing other potential models from GW in a Demon army we might be able to generate some discussion, things such as Dryads or Ghouls as horrors, and plague bearers, Chaos Knight + Bloodletters for Crushers, alternative Fiends (I use Skull Pass spiders + Daemonettes for mine....) and so on...

EH

So what are we looking to accomplish with this section really?

The same as the other sections, advice. My own personal view of this section will be split in to three sections, collecting, modelling and painting, possibly in that order, possibly not.

The collecting section will contain the parts on where to get models, possible alternative models and some other things I haven't thought of yet.

The modelling section will probably include a guide on how to assemble a bloodletter or a daemonette (for those who are very new to the hobby, though we may leave that part out), and then sections on good conversions and ways to represent some of the more unusual daemonic gifts.

The painting section will, obviously, include tips on painting your models, probably with a tutorial or two for the more common models in the army.

However, this is simply my personal view and as a community project, it's unlikely to be what we end up with. :HQ:

• 4 weeks later...

Right, something appears to have gone terribly wrong with this thread. This is probably my fault, I didn't keep on top of it so here I am, keeping on top of it.

I need a volunteer to write a tuturial on painting one of the troops choices for the army. I know we have a couple in hte librarium, but as I've said before, I don't want to just link to there (I will link there though). I'm not sure on the order this section will be done in, so while I work that out let's just get started on the painting section, I can always rearrange later.

So, volunteers? We'd need photos as well obviously, but the model is up to you. I know we have a tutorial for a bloodletter already, so one of the others might be better, daemonette perhaps? (I don't know if we have a tutorial for that or not)

I messed around with a few models, mainly with bloodletters. Since plastic is the way to convert. I went brutal and chopped its arms off half way, put them on his back, hung the model upside down and mildly melted the four arm pieces and gave them a bit of a twirl to make horrors.

I saw a conversion somewhere and decided to chisel down the chest of the bloodletters, give it cleavage in all the "right" spots to make a proper daemonette, forgive the vague description this is a family forum after all. The head was replaced by a catachan head and filed down with a "cloth" over the head to spark curiosity of the model and ease of the conversion.

I messed around with another, and having several swords left over I cut off its hands at the wrists and put both swords in its place where the wrists meet the blade past the handguard. I went a bit further by replacing its head with a small metal slingshot BB and had the hands hold it in place, the handle-gripping hand actually shoving its fingers inside the side of the new big "eye". I think it will be a herald, maybe not. If I like the idea after its painted I may make more and turn it into a flamers of tzeentch unit.

Few other ideas turning around, bloodletters are pretty easy to cut and glue, and the limbs are long enough to melt them a bit for an even more warped feel. I messed around to make a plaguebearer but I failed in doing it properly by giving it too many cut marks/showing bone.

Too afraid to mess with daemonettes like this, too much "repeated clothing that should be random clothing" and odd legs/arms that dont match eachother.

So, basically what you want to do is set a Resource Link for Daemons? Easy enough just start a new thread and break it up thusly:

Chaos Daemon Resource:

Chaos Daemon: Modeling

1. Official models: = Whats available, what's metal, what's to expense...

- Link to the official GW model assemble tutorials on GW.com.

2. Alternate models (GW): = Using the LR Balrog for a Bloodthirster, etc...

- Link to some project blogs showing armies incorporating alternate GW models.

3. Alternate models (converted GW): Making horrors from kroot, etc...

- Link to some project blogs showing these types of conversions.

4. Alternate models (non GW): Heresy's Blights, etc...

- Link to some project blogs showing armies incorporating alternately sourced models.

5. Alternate models (Scratchbuilt): Custom sculpted models in GS, plasti-card, etc...

- Link to some project blogs showing armies incorporating scratchbuilt models.

Chaos Daemon: Painting

1. Official painting tutorials:

- Link to the official GW model painting tutorials on GW.com.

2. Alternate painting tutorials:

- Link to some project blogs showing alternate ways of painting Daemon models.

Then just expand from their. Know need to right custom tutorials for most things just link to the original blog.

Feel free to link my Slaaneshi Daemon Army Thread. It's got some of every thing really: concept sketches, custom sculpts, light and heavily converted plastic and metal models, resin casting, etc. I know of some other good Daemon Army Links, and will post them when I get the chance.

It's not much, nor is it completed, but it's the most presentable conversion I own, so, my GUO:

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt68/LordSandwich103/DSCN0242.jpg

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt68/LordSandwich103/DSCN0243.jpg

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt68/LordSandwich103/DSCN0244.jpg

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt68/LordSandwich103/DSCN0245.jpg

So, I'd like to apologize for the half-painted, half-GS'ed, but I'd gotten about halfway through the paintjob when I decided he wasn't Nurglesque enough. The main thing about this conversion is, IMO, that it doesn't take skill (Some of my GSing has been disastrous) or good tools (I did this with the end of a paperclip...) to get decent looking conversions. The paint job should bring this guy together. Oh, and sorry for the pics. They're pretty poorly lit.

Archived