Flamers

djkest

So what is your best story with flamers?

I have a single unit of 3 and they are usually so effective that I want to make a list with more. Here's the best they have done so far.

First turn that they arrived (3rd turn, I think), they deep struck behind some bloodletters (using them as a screen).

Next turn, they jumped into dangerous terrain (passed their dangerous terrain test) and caused 7 wounds on a unit of (6) eldar pathfinder in a large obstacle. No armor or cover save, so wiped them out.

fifth turn, they jumped over the obstacle and flamed a squad of 11 dire avengers + farseer. (maybe it was 9). They caused a huge amount of wounds to the squad, they killed all but 2 dire avengers and put a wound on the farseer, plus they clipped the wave serpent and wrecked it with a 6.

After this they charged into the farseer, and although they didn't wound him, they killed the other 2 DA and took no wounds in return. This was the last turn of the game and the flamers contested the objective.

The 5th edition rule book does not say that I think the 4th edition said so.

"Models must be placed around in base contact with the orignal models in a circle around it. When the first circle is complete, a further circle should be placed with each models touching the circle inside it".

-pg95 of rule book

It says a circle but not concentric(sp?) I thought like Gentlemanloser that they had to be touching but another Demon player pointed this rule out to me. As long as your trying to make a circle with the first ring it is legal. I could play it either way I am not that picky.

Hope that helps.

Putting them either side of the first mini to form a line, isn't forming a circle. You also have to fit as many in in the circle as possible, which precludes you leaving any gaps.

Absolutely correct. However, if you're using a unit of 3, then it seems to me entirely valid to have a model either side (forming a line) to ensure maximum shooting, as noted by djkest - it is, after all, an attempt to form a circle with the models available. Sure, with 4 or more models you couldn't do it. With 3 models you simply can't form a circle, so a line seems perfectly acceptable to me.

You have to DS in a circle around the centre mini. You can't place the other two in a line.
Well then you're making a triangle, which would still be wrong. No, as long as many models keep touching the inner layers as possible, all is well and follows the rules. Whether it's:

XXX

...or...

XX

X

...it's still right. Think of it like filling two of the slots, while having the other 4 still open.

My favorite flamer moment was from my batreps back in March:

The flamers hop over their building, landing in a nice little spot. There was a thin line of guardsmen spread "vertically," a hellhound, and a russ, all within range of a breath of chaos. So I fired three of those, hitting 3 guardsmen, 3 hits on the hellhound (the original target), and 3 on the russ that got caught in the way. 2 guardsmen died, the hellhound was shaken, and the russ was shaken and immobilized (no cover save; template attack! lolz). Then of course the bolt blew the hellhound to smithereens, killing 4 more guardsmen in the explosion. Not bad for a single unit shooting.

Right, so as people have pointed out, with 3 models, you can place the 2nd and 3rd models anywhere granted they are touching the original model. It is kind of ambiguous, because what it really saysmeans is:

The first model arrives where the deep strike arrives, and the next 6 models have to be placed in the next concentric ring. It takes 6 models to fill the 2nd ring, and up until that point, the models can be placed anywhere in this ring until it is full.

So I have 4 bloodcrushers. It's easy to get their DS down, I put the center down, and the next three go anywhere I can fit them while touching the base model. I've been doing the 3-strong straight line for a while, never had any complaints.

Back on topic.

In the last Apoc. game for the lucky 13 campaign the one with the Imperail strongpoint with a minefeild surounding it. I had a unit of Flamers jump around the mine feild taking no wounds from 4+ Inv. and burn everything they touched. 9 flamers killed 1 speeder, 2 IG support weapon sections, 2 Long fang packs, 1 beacon for Inv. saves for enemy and rack up some weapon destroyed results on a Land Raider.

Before they got to mind feild they cooked a platoon of IG and a command squad from IG. The command squad came in and flamed them with 3 flamers and only killed one. It was a fitting tribute for that command squad to get burned after trying to cook me.

My personal favourite moment was when a monolith teleported into the ork ranks, causing a massive hole. It got blown up and my 12 man unit (yes i run a 12 man flamer unit) killed 79 orks with one volley. love the smell of roasted ork!

Mine would have to be setting fire to somewhere in the range of 12-14 models from a Black Templar Crusader Squad with a unit of 5 Flamers. What a lovely feeling that was. Of course the Flamers died immediately afterward, but this is often the case anyway.

Archived