A Daemonic Slaughter

Devil Dog

Today I played a friend of a friend who used sisters and he had a... quite unique... approach to combatting my Daemons. Packed into a 1750 point list he hade about 50 Sisters with rhinos and a couple fo land raiders, a Cannoness with some decked out weapons, a few celestian squads, some priests, a few penitent engines and a vindicare assassin. We got a 5 objective(cant rememberthe real name for these) game with Dawn of war deployment.

He got first turn and his Cannoness and a couple of Squads of sisters headed for the objectives in the centre of the table while the rest of his force chose to stay put near his board edge. My turn came around and I Daemonic Assaulted a Plaguebearer Squad onto 2 objectives in the centre of the board while my horrors landed slightly closer to him on another and my flamers landed right next to a Battle Sister squad. The flamers utterly destroy the squad they were near but nothing else of note happens.

On his second turn, he used a rather unique strategy. Forgoing cover completely and IGNORING my flamers he moved a penitent engine towards each PB squad and his celestians unloaded into my horrors. Horrors get annhilated and the Penitents are pretty close to my PBs. I got luckyish with my reserve rolls and everything except 2 soul grinders came down. The Bloodletters landed just behind some cover and the Daemonettes landed close enough to the canoness to assault next turn. My shooting is lackluster although the flamers did immobilise a LR (and strip every weapon it had basically.) Unfortuanetly Im unable to assault just yet.

His 3rd turn saw the Vindicare used a special round to wipe the floor with my Blue Scribes and then his remaining Battle Sisters move further away from cover. They are litterally sitting in the middle of the open terrain before moving his vehicles up to create a wall around his remaining Infantry with only the Penitents running around outside. My 2 Grinders arrived turn 3 and immediately they lobbed a Phlegm into the huge group in the rhino wall. 2 small scatters saw the death of about 15 sisters and 2 rhinos opening up a hole large enough for my Bloodletters and Daemonettes to pour through and begin the slaughter.

After turn 3 he conceeded as he had no scoring units left. But what this game made me realise is that in the hands of a slightly more competent player (hes not the best but hes good) this tactic would of been incredibly effective. As I played a game against a Daemon Player using my Space Marines, I saw the deadly effect it could be used to. While walkers were tough enough to be left on their own, even marines had to play defensively. Many people who saw these games said I wasn't playing against Daemons PROPERLY. But when you set up defensively, Daemons deep strike to stop you escaping, while my opponent used his superior mobility to abandon what at the start of the game had appeared carefully prepared kill zones (which limited my mobility as I had to deep strike around them) and form a cohesive defensive line! Fortunately I bought Phelgm Grinders.

From the sound of it, it seems like he tried to do what he could against Daemons.

Circling the wagons and making them come to you isn't a bad idea at all, especially since Daemons in general have problems with armor. Even camping in a Rhino and laying out Flamers from the firepoint can be an effective technique. And 1-2 good rounds of Bolter spamming will knock out most non-Nurgling infantry before they can strike.

Sounds like a good game to me.

From the sound of it, it seems like he tried to do what he could against Daemons.

Since he wasn't all mech-ed up in transports and tanks (which daemons are notorious bad at dealing with) he did as well as he could. Better to take the mech and ignore the 95% of the daemon army that can't do anything to you.

Since he wasn't all mech-ed up in transports and tanks (which daemons are notorious bad at dealing with) he did as well as he could. Better to take the mech and ignore the 95% of the daemon army that can't do anything to you.

I dunno in CC a number of units (providing they are numerous enough) can destroy rhinos providing they can catch them.

the key being "provided there are enough" and "provided they can catch them".

Fiends can do both, both if he's smart about mech you'll only hit on 6's anyway, really cutting down your chances. Daemons fail as a meta-competitive army in the current environment due to their inability to reliably and consistently deal with Mech builds. Now, if flamers had a melta weapon it would be all good.

Actually, stripping weapons and immobilizing is about all flamers are good for:

4 flamers, 4 hits, 2 glances, 1/3 chance of immobile, 1/3 chance of weapon destroyed. Which is actually better than Bolt of T would do:

4 flamers, 2 hits, 1/3 chance of glance, 1/18 chance of destroyed, 1/18 chance of immobile, 1/18 chance of weapon destroyed.

the key being "provided there are enough" and "provided they can catch them".

But that can be applied to almost anything, lascannons will take down land raiders providing you put enough shots into it, cyborg mega armoured nobs will maul most things provinding they get close enough. It may not be as easy for you as others but I can't take that as a valid reason :lol:

@Helios:

Essentially that was my point, that th/ss terminators for example don't need to be massed units to kill a rhino, and having even a couple run around is a common occurance, but how often does somebody take the 12 flamers it would take to reliably kill a rhino...not very often...though that is a bad *** idea.

Archived