I have returned and I am seeking help.

Cryozen

Its been a while since I played and Ive come back looking for help.

So it seems like with the advent of the new imperial guard codex, all my friends are dusting off their Leman Russes and coming home with valkyries. Unfortunantly ever since they released the new chaos codex, Ive been plum out of luck when it comes to games so Im rewriting my 1.5k army list.

Heres what I have

Chaos lord, Mark of khorne, daemon weapon - 150 points.

4 chosen, 1 flamer each 92

Dreadnaught, plasma cannon 105

10 CSM, flamer, asp champ, missile launcher 180

8 CSM, asp champ, powerfist, melta 145

10 berserkers, asp champ, power wep 240 + rhino 35

Defiler, cqb arm, 150

2 obliterators 150

land raider 220

(chaos lord and chosen ride in the raider)

I have a 6 man squad of Havocs (with heavy bolters) I made from bits box scrap, an old vindicator, and some old terminators on the small bases Im moving to bigger ones. I want to incorporate those but Im not entirely sure how I can use what I have to optomise human smashing performance. Can anyone with some experience against the new imperial guard help me out?

You are trying to make a 3.5 army with the 4.0 dex...it won't work.

If lord has MoK give him lightning claws. If you want D.weop go w/ unmarked lord. Lord has wings always.

Drop chosen, 5 are too small and useless.

Never hvy weops in csm squads, give 2nd flamer or melta and the champ a PF.

Never 8 csm's, 10 always, give 2nd melta or flamer, must have rino.

Brzrkrs are fine.

Defiler and oblits are ok.

Give LR to brzrkrs to ensure the get the charge and FC, can drop 1 or 2 brzrkrs and let lord ride w/ them.

with left over pts buy 2 more oblit or 2nd defiler.

Then you will have a solid 4.0 army, and do well vs IG or anyone else.

Welcome back.

-

Oh, 3-4 termi's with combimelts as DS'ers vs tanks wks out very well. Add those if have pts. Don't buy new termi's, I still use old metal ones on small bases. At most just put old ones on larger bases, but I've never had a problem. I like HB havoc squad, but you alreaddy have 3 HS filled.

If lord has MoK give him lightning claws. If you want D.weop go w/ unmarked lord. Lord has wings always.

Why?

Lord has wings always.

Understandable but I dont want him flying into the giant mass of IG unsupported.

Drop chosen, 5 are too small and useless.

Yeah, but when paired with my lord 4 flame templates before assault tends to tip the balance in my favor

Never hvy weops in csm squads, give 2nd flamer or melta and the champ a PF.

heavy weapons I understand, but why the powerfist?

Never 8 csm's, 10 always, give 2nd melta or flamer, must have rino.

seems kinda nit-picky, what's your reasoning?

Brzrkrs are fine.

Defiler and oblits are ok.

Give LR to brzrkrs to ensure the get the charge and FC, can drop 1 or 2 brzrkrs and let lord ride w/ them.

Whats the point in giving the lord wings if hes gonna be in the LR?

with left over pts buy 2 more oblit or 2nd defiler.

Oh! My poor wallet :cry:

Then you will have a solid 4.0 army, and do well vs IG or anyone else.

Welcome back.

Thanks!

-

Oh, 3-4 termi's with combimelts as DS'ers vs tanks wks out very well. Add those if have pts. Don't buy new termi's, I still use old metal ones on small bases. At most just put old ones on larger bases, but I've never had a problem.

Thats what Im doing, but my Space Marine friend wouldnt take kindly to me using smaller bases. :jaw:

I like HB havoc squad, but you alreaddy have 3 HS filled.

What if I did that instead of a second defiler or more obliterators?

Anyone else have input? Id sure love some more advice.

1- K D. weop has double the chance of doing nothing and wounding the lord

2- Never fly him in unsupported (unless he has no chance of getting hurt that round or the next), but "leapfrog" him from (friendly) squad to squad where he's needed or can do most damage. Never leave lord on foot.

3- a) 5 + a lord really isn't big enough for a hth squad, b ) chosen no better then csm's but cost 3 pts more, 4 flamers really not that much better then 2, c) a LR cost alot and holds 10, to fill it 1/2 way up is a HUGE waste of pts. d) it's EZ to kill 5 guys and then lord is easy target. e) if the unit as is tips the balance in your favor, why are you "plum out of luck when it comes to games" ?

4- PF give squad a pretty good chance vs vehicles, dreads and MC's, even instakilling characters.

5- 10 csm's are harder to kill then 8. Have 10 lose 2 left w/ 8, squad is still viable. have 8 lose 2, you have 6, squad is now only viable against other 1/2 dead squads. Also need 10 to get 2nd spec weop. Also rino holds 10, fill it up.

6- LR gets him into 1st engagement, where he and brzrkrs crush, then he can leapfrog around, over enemy units, terrain, whatever, to get to where he is needed.

7- Your HS slot are filled, never mind bout the 2 oblits or defiler right now. You will have xtra pts though. Maybe more csm's. Oh yea, lose the dread, new "gone crazy" rules in 4.0 dex makes them pretty much unusable.

-

I strongly suggest you read "chaos lord handbook" and "asp champ handbook" in the GRAVIS section of this subforum.

Also look at other army list and the C&C on them in the army list subforum.

Chaos lord, Mark of khorne, daemon weapon - 150 points.

Yeah thats all fine except for your math.

Lord-90

Mark-10

Weapon-40

4 chosen, 1 flamer each 92-

I'd say increase the squad size or drop these. Also while you are pairing them with your lord, you're wasting the points on infiltration. I'd say play them as havocs with flamers and toss a few more in there, as well as dropping one of your heavy support choices (you'd be forced to)

Dreadnaught, plasma cannon 105

Watch the dreanaught shoot your own units. I basically Only play CC dred on chaos, and rarely do even that. You already have 2 plasma cannons on your oblits.

10 CSM, flamer, asp champ, missile launcher 180

I'd say drop the Missile launcher and add a melta, flamer, or power weapon/fist on champ (points from lord error should cover this, or drop the squad size and second weapon for more units in the chosen/havoc squad)

8 CSM, asp champ, powerfist, melta 145

10 berserkers, asp champ, power wep 240 + rhino 35

Defiler, cqb arm, 150

2 obliterators 150

land raider 220

The rest seems pretty fine, althought I might drop the dred all together and toss in those terminators. If you DO choose havocs instead of chosen, you'd be forced to drop one of your other heavy support choices. Alternately drop all the chosen and stick the lord with the berzerkers in your land raider, using the points on, i dont know, the terminators if the dread goes too or pimping out your CSM squads (full weapons, full asp sorcerers with Pfists, ect)

Having a bunch of units tie the enemy in melee is your best bet against guard, and krak grenades always give tanks troubles especially when they're in squadron rules. (Stunned becomes shaken and immobilize becomes destroyed, you hit their rear armor when in melee and if they dont move away you get to hit their tanks during their assault phase) Be very sure to remember those things!

Army looks fine, though its not perfectly straightforward or overbearing in any way, I suggest prodding a new unit or two, maybe raptors or another zerk unit inside a rhino. Or something similar.

One dreadnought tactic I've heard that has success is giving him a missile launcher and cc weapon. If he goes fire crazy and shoots your own unit use which ever type of missile is least effective which in most cases is frag against marines and tanks. Otherwise go all CC.

I would put the Lord in the LR w/ the bezerkers. That will be nasty. Then turn the chosen into a regular CSM squad and beef them up some, and put them in the rhino. And/or beef up the other CSM squad and put them in the rhino.

I also second taking the DW off the lord. He has to roll 2 dice to pick his # of attacks, and if 'either' rolls a 1 he takes a wound and doesn't attack. Thats a huge risk. DWs are good w/ no mark, or the MoS. Otherwise not worth their points.

Archived