Modelling assistance...

Ladies, Gentlemen and Warp Spawn/monsters...

i've been unavailable for a while trying to get some games in and getting the stuff finished for Call of Chaos III as I didn't finish in time (the gods did not favour what i wanted to paint mefeels...). Anyway, back to why I write...

I have now almost got a squad for each of the original chapters in what i feel is a decent feel for fluff both in wargear, modelling and paint scheme. However, until recent reading of some of the HH books, I have not really had a feel for Word Bearers, and to be honest, I still don't. So, my questions are thus...

1) In the same way as my Iron Warriors are kind of dominating my Heavy Support options, my Night Lords dominate my Fast Attack... what then do I give my Word Bearers other than a squad of CSMs?

2) Modelling and forming a squad of CSMs to be painted for my Word Bearers from my bits box (dark gods have blessed the organisation of it by making me many squads this way...), I have come across multiple banner options. Now, along with the standard banner, I am considering the option of having back pack banners for nothing other than a fluff reasoning due to this fitting with the WB mantra... My girlfriend thinks this is a) dumb and :D overkill. I argue she doesn't know what she's talking about but then I said the same thing about when she told me to put egg in mince mix when trying to maek burgers... it turns out I was wrong. So I'm open to the possibility it can happen twice in a lifetime and want your assistance in settling a 1-1 voting draw. More banners on backpacks or leave it as the standard banner and give my girlfriend the satisfaction of being right a second time? You decide.

3) What else can I do for my Word Bearers arm? A squad of (slowly nearing) 10 and a DA that doubles as a CSL doesn't really seem enough for a chapter that, in essence, started the heresy.

I like the idea of multiple back-banners, as I'd always preferred the portrayal of the Word Bearers as a fanatical horde of Marines and Cultists, rather than the oft-portrayed daemon-spammers. As such, go for the back-banners, each covered in religious scriptural writings from the Books of Lorgar.

Fab! She's wrong AGAIN! Go team Lorgar!

That was my thinking too on the multiple banners. Scriptual, pictoral fanatics if you will. Any more ideas anyone?

fluffy Word Bearers would be CSM w/ IoCG, demons, greater demon, Dreads, Defilers, Termies, Possesed, Havocs... this is from drawing

inspiration from the books Dark Apostle and Dark Disciple. to me they have a lot of core choices and represent a force that has no problem throwing

demons into the grinder so the more holy marines can complete the vision of the Dark Apostle.

for my own Word Bearers i have been using parchments and hung skulls/bones from the Flagellant sprue from WH fantasy, for the bodies i'm using the Dark Angel robed

bodies with Chaos chest plates. I haven't used a whole lot of back banners, as i'm mostly sticking to the whole impurity seal aspect.

the only back banner i have is on one of my Dreads, cause he is the oldest and deserves it.

i think if you want to use a lot back banners then go for it, Word Bearers=zealots so if you think large back scriptures are the key to getting this across then it should work

and give you a unique look as well.

hope this helps

Grim

Cheers, that's a big help.

I too have used the DA robes, but only for my Dark Apostle. The rest of the set are put aside for my Alpha Legion squad. I was thinking "Defiler" yesterday at work for my other WB choices. I'm thinking WB embody the idea of building daemon engines and they are really the best option for this (other than the Soul Grinder). I was also thinking of th Defiler for my IWs but I just think they've maxed out on tanks so i'll ship it out to another Chapter...

Out of interest, what Dread did you use? The Chaos Toaster, or a converted Imperial one? i'm thinking for WB, the Venerable Dread converted would be a great idea... thoughts?

Out of interest, what Dread did you use? The Chaos Toaster, or a converted Imperial one? i'm thinking for WB, the Venerable Dread converted would be a great idea... thoughts?

i used converted imperial Dreads... the Chaos one is one of my least favorite models. i just used a regular one and an Ironclad...

to make them more Chaos i use Termie chest plates where the sarcophagus lid would go. that way i save some cash, and use up bits lying around.

i'll see if i can post a pic up later.

Grim

like the idea of the termie chest plate and head... was looking at the Venerable Dread for that and we were not overly impressed. It does look a little more "walking cathederal" but the head is not impressive and the other half said it best in that it "looks like he's playing peekaboo".

Your pics are good and I'm keen on snaffling up a few of your ideas. I must admit, as I said, i too dislike the "toaster" and it really is out of date (even for the 10,000 year old legions).

What do you think of a possessed tank or two for them?

i have a possessed Vindicator, not bad but the hit to BS is a little annoying. however, it would take a lot for me to un-possess it.

if you wanted to stick to demon engines then perhaps Defilers with the extra CCW? they are monsters, literally, in close combat. i would suggest

fielding 2 as one will get popped earlier than later, and unit redundancy seems to be to order of the day in fifth edition behind mechanizing your

force.

as far as the Dread goes, maybe blue tack a chest plate and head on a body and see what you think. my picture is a little fuzzy, the only camera i

had available was my phone. my better half seems to have misplaced my camera. this technique makes the head more visible and you can choose from

a different assortment of heads. anything from Chaos Knights from WFB or, for a real demon engine feel, the Chaos Spawn heads.

in the end i'm just real biased for plastic kits. they are easy to bash, cut, glue, you name it... plastic kits are just easier to work with.

Grim

I'll be honest, when I came back to the hobby after hiatus, I hated a lot of changes but the one thing I love is the new plastic kits! They are so adaptable. And I'd never thought of the termie chestplate/head combo. Wish i'd done something like that with my WE dread but he has the possessed looking face/plate from the tank kit. Still looks good and is very fluff like. I looked last night and the Iron Clad is the same price as the regular Imperial dread. Love it. I think I officially owned my one and only toaster-dread which is for my BL regiment.

What did you mean by WFB? Forgive my dumbness.

well the chest-plate idea wasn't mine, i saw it on one of the work in progress threads a long time ago, but thought it was a great idea. :P

oh, Warhammer Fantasy Battle, just the fantasy range of Warhammer is all that is... the Empire range of models seem to have tons of bits

to kit bash. that's why i used the Flagellant sprue, lots of parchments and little skulls... i even used a Flagellant body with some bits from the

Spawn sprue for an objective marker... find the demon host. :)

Grim

It is a great idea, think it'll catch on!

Ah WFB... gotcha now. Empire bits?! Different, i'll have to have a look. I have used some chaos warriors for parts for my possessed, and I do use Imperial SM parts and add spikes etc, but I've never thought of using Empire (in essence chaos warriors pre-turning ala Loyalist SMs of ye olde worlde i guess...) parts. I'll have a look, thanks. Have you got any suggestions?

Actually, the more I pick your ideas, do you want to just put the bits together and send them my way! :P :) But then that's the fun of it for me.

And I love the idea of a 2 x CCW Defiler... That could make a mess.

i would suggest the Flagellant sprue, maybe the Greatsword sprue... the Empire stuff is ok, maybe look at some Vampire Counts as well...

try looking at BitzBox or Battle Wagon Bits online... they sell individual bits and can allow you to look at the bits as well.

Grim

Archived