Rogal Dorn WIP

Kaleb Daark

Hi there

I had to take a break from the Custodes 'cause I have so many other projects I have to work on .... and I have to go to work....

But Since I've been leading an Imperial Fists army for about 8 years and I'm still such a big fan of the Horus Heresy era I decided to try to make a Rogal Dorn figure.

Here's the result of the first afternoon

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h113/kalebdaark/DSC01318.jpg

Not great uh ?

And I 'm such a bad sculptor....

BUT I had the chance to make a deal with my friend Bruno Grelier (multiple GD winner)

and, after a month, I got this

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h113/kalebdaark/RogalDornFini01.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h113/kalebdaark/RogalDornFini04.jpg

(yes I'm a lucky man)

Now the painting

I wasn't so happy with the gold of my Custodians and I really wanted to get that one RIGHT ; so I asked around for some tips and i got this one:

On a base scorched brown, apply a first coat of a mix shining gold /snakebite leather . Then go to pure shining gold and finish with a mix of mithril and shining.

Then you've got to play with scorched brown, devlan mud and badab black washes

after 34h of painting :

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h113/kalebdaark/RogalWIP.jpg

after 48h of painting

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h113/kalebdaark/P1010080-1.jpg

Just one thing I'd like to say : my camera is a worthless piece of **** without a good macro and I don't have any real light gear. So these last photos make the figure look more brownish than it really is

And there's still a lot of work to do.

I'm planning on freehands paintings on the cape and the tabard, adding a few purity seal, and I'm sure I'll get some other ideas (that's why i'm posting this in fact)

SO people comments please!

El JuJu

Kaleb Daark

Thanks very much for the kind words people

But I'd rather need some constructive comments.

I really want to make this figure right and I NEED to know what's good and what's not. I need to improve

El JuJu

Kaleb Daark

I don't think there's anyway to make that better :lol: If anything, I think the head could have been a bit more Primarch-y, a couple of scars, not that big, going across his eye and cheek would make him more in-tune with his base, along with the some weathering. I know it may be hard to paint over that brilliat finish, bu the odd mud-staines around the legs and a bit of blood on the fist would be better in my opinion.

Really good, looks pretty much how I would expect him to, and I actually like the "clawy" look of his Imperial Fist. Only thing I don't like is the color of his chainsword, makes the whole thing look a bit too monochromatic, and gold is an odd color for what is essentially a huge chainsaw. Other than that, great work.

my criticisms for you relate to the chainsword mainly. For one, the eagle wings position makes sence the way the miniature is holding it. It is upright and majestic. However, once rogal dorn actually held it to use it, dont you think it would look a tad odd having an upside down eagle wing on your sword. It looks good, it also doesnt make sence. I also think that the size of the wing is impractical. It has great presence, but to me it is too unweildy. Personally, i would use your very talented sculpting skills to make an eagle wing of your own. I think it would be the proper size and come out looking better, especially if you made it similar to the one above his head. Otherwise excellent sculpting and painting.

Maybe add some detail to the main body of the sword too. It is flat compared to the rest of the miniature and might tie everything more together.

I checked the peice of art work upon whivh this model is based and all practical considerations aside its a perfect replica. Collectied Visions P25. I say good work.

I realize this. Yes it is a perfect representation of the illustration. That doesnt mean that the illustration is right. Personally I'll be happy the day Blanches artwork never graces the pages of GW material again, however, I will not deny that he has an amazing sense of the 40k universe. As an artist I think hes total crap. As someone who brings the concept of the grim dark bizzare 40k he is excellent. Give me Kopinski over Blanche any day.

My point being, the person who sculpted and painted this is obviously very talented. He/she shouldnt limit themselves by merely copying whats been done before. They have the talent and ability to improve upon something and expand it. By merely copying they are limiting their own potential. I think this person has the talent to surpass Blanches image. Hell, imagine what they could do with an image of dorn done by kopinski, dainton, or even aerion the faithful, or any of the other much more talented artists. Blanche is a great visionary, but ill rejoice the day they take his "art" and even more so his miniatures out of their publications for good.

However, this isnt a discussion on the merits of blanches work. I would love to see you expand upon the artwork personally, because I believe you have the talent and ability to improve upon it.

Sorry for the late reply brothers but my current job is VERY time consuming

First I didn't sculpted this, As I said this was Sculpted by BRUNO GRELIER ( multiple French Golden Demon winner). I only began to paint it . ;)

Second I agree that Blanche's artwork isn't so great (I'm being polite) And I'd really love to see Primarch artworks from other artist (Kopinski or the man who draw the Lonewolves story, Richardson I think)

and BTW I'm a man (JuJu stands for Julien)

I must say that my inspiration really came from Angela Imrie (Saxonangel)'s work on this Primarch

for those of you who haven't seen it yet:

http://www.blackmoor.ca/gw40krogaldorn.htm

I knew I couldn't get it so I got my own.

Now, this figure isn't finished yet, far from it, I still have a lot of painting to do and a bit of converting .

I just needed some feedback , which all of you people gave me and I thank you for that.

Regarding the chainsword I agree that it's too flat , maybe I'll add a purity seal or two, and maybe I'll paint something on it. I haven't made up my mind yet.

Regarding the face; I don't want it to be too battle damaged, but I do plan to get a better result and add some depth to it

Regarding the armor; as I said it's just the beginning, Istill have much work to do on it so it'll be less flat.

Anyway, since I don't have much time for painting for the moment, I don't know exactly when I'll be able to finish it, 'cause i wanna get this one right, and I mean RIGHT.

But if any of you people have other ideas, critics,... PLEASE TELL ME!

Thank you again Brothers. :P

El JuJu

Kaleb Daark

I'm not a fan of the artwork that you have chosen for Dorn I imagine him to look alot different, but having said that he is a very good match for the artwork.

The gold is looking great so far its a very hard colour to do really well and you have done it nicely.

I agree with the others about the chainsaw. I also think that you need to change his head to something more 'Special' the head just doesn't look like Dorn to me.

Have you considered making the Red more vibrant?

Hope that helps, look forward to seeing more.

First of all great model and great painting but there are a few points that could be improved in my opinion;

I feel the model could do with some sort of focal point, so when you look at the model you're eyes are drawn towards to that point and then they focus out and look at the model as a whole, because currently the flatness of the armour almost makes me glance over the details. The best example would be the centre of his chest, a great deal of detail which is 'washed out' due to it being the same colour as the rest of the armour, this could also be the focal point, drawing in the observers eye to examine the model in closer detail.

You could also improve the armour just by giving it some sort of different coloured trim and perhaps make the details surronding the decorations on the legs stand out so you notice them more. You could also make the decorations on the shoulders and the eagle on the power pack stand out, perhaps in a different colour/paint scheme? Since such detailing would normally stand out instead of being the same colour as the rest of the armour and just blending in. I also second perhaps making the red more viabrant.

This all could make the model a bit garish :D , so pay attention to my suggestions as little or as much as you want ;).

EDIT: Added suggestions.

Beautiful work.

I think that the eagle wing is correct as is given that it would provide very good protection for the hand (a very vulnerable area as anyone whose done any sparing with long swords can tell you) and the wing falls naturally away from the cross piece. I do think that the chainsword could do with some form of inscription or detailing though but I'm a SW fan so have runes everywhere!

I suggest that the black carapace that shows between the armour plates would look better in matt black with grey or blue highlights as this would enhance the wonderful work you have done on the gold.

I would also suggest some form of shadow around the feet so that the figure is planted on the ground.

That said, it is already well beyond my abilities as a painter.

Just a few points of criticism.

1. I think the gold is much much too shiny, perhaps give it a wash or something to make it a little more dull.

2. He really really needs a helmet, he dosen't have to be wearing it, even if it is on the ground, make sure it is very very very ornate, look at the helmets on Marenus Calgars bodyguards for inspiration.

3. try out some really wild patterns on his cape, you might be surprised how good they look.

Just my opinon of course, other than that fantastic model, i'm expecting to see this as the 2010 Golden Demon.

lol

This is awsome, I'm a big fan of the heresy-era, so primarch models are big in my book :)!

My only comment would be the head. It just doesn't look Dorn-ish enough for my taste. I personally would have either attempted (and probably failed :() to sculpt a beard, or used a helmeted head. But hay, it's your model, and it's still of the chart for coolness factor!

lovely..

to be very bad I may make an effort to criticize:

- the tabard..too stiff if the mantle swing that much

- the legs looks anathomically too short..but we know this is a problem with sm..or maybe just perspective issue..

- the sword..too plain for a primarch..and the wing thing is too big imo..why don't you try with a double edged knight like chainblade?

- maybe that fist is too much of a claw for imperial fists avatar..and too much emperor like..famed illustration wise..

Archived