The Line is Crossed

Hubernator

I had a wild moment of inspiration earlier and decided to write it down. Here's what is spawned into.

The Line is Crossed

Series 1

Chapter 1

Two men sat in a dark room within the long corridors of a Fortress-Monastery. One was clad in yellow armour, darkened only by the burgundy and the lack of light. The other, clad in ornately decorated armour, covered in seals, aquilas and the mark of the Inquisition. Both men were eyeing each other. One slumped in his chair, legs resting on the simple table between the two men. The other resting his elbows on the table, fingers interlocked in front of his face. Outside such a room stood two large men also clad in this yellow armour; the corridor lighting showing gleams of yellow mixed with burgundy. Both of these were armed with black-cased guns of fury – each bearing the Aquila in gold. Neither showed their face, nor stood differently. These men had their duty. Their Commander inside had his.

The Inquisitor gave way and stood, hands planted firmly on the table. “You will let me see the records of your Chapter, Commander” he ordered, a rise in anger clear in his voice. The Commander placed his feet on the floor and folded his arms, staring at the ornately-clad man in front of him. “Again Inquisitor, I will have to refuse your request” replied the Commander in a simple tone, a flicker of light showing some of the seals that decorated his armour. “It is no longer a request Commander. This is now an order. You must show me your records or face dire consequences” said the Inquisitor firmly. Within his mind thoughts were whirring. These Marines had escaped lightly from the Emperor’s Justice, he thought. It was time they finally received what has been in debt to them for so long.

The Commander however was refusing to comply. For a millennium now the Chapter had avoided the Inquisition, for a number of deemed as excuses. It was after the Campaign in the Corusant Sector that the Inquisition finally decided to put an end to any friendly agreements and sent one of the finest to get the information they desired. Inquisitor Ventrax Bersow was deployed along with his own men of his choice and a ship to get him there. He took his entourage directly to the homeworld of the Chapter in question, designated as the Nova Warriors, and defiantly requested access. At first the Chapter had to reluctantly agree, which only aroused more suspicion for Ventrax. After using his power of authority he searched the entire Fortress-Monastery from the very bottom levels to the large tower at the centre of the great building. When he had seen enough, he had demanded an audience with the Chapter Master, but this was promptly refused as he was on a Campaign in another sector and was not due back for weeks. So he had to settle with the Commander of the 3rd Company, one Xavier Baranus. He had arranged a meeting between the two men in one of the lower levels, designated as the dungeons for any traitors prior to their execution. And now Ventrax was within one of the interrogation rooms arguing for his right to view documents that held every action of the Chapter since their induction, and more importantly that of the last 5 Campaigns. What he could deviate from them is anyone’s guess bar himself and the Inquisition, but it would be for nothing if he could not get access. If only this stubborn ass of a Commander would give him the rights!

Ventrax grew weary of arguing and drew his power sword disguised under his sweeping cape and pointed it directly at the Commander’s head. “Give me access now or I will have to deem your act as traitorous and your Chapter will be excommunicate.” Venom was in voice, clear anger in his facial actions. Yet the Commander was unfazed. He merely snapped his fingers and the two Astartes that had stood guard broke into the room within seconds, guns trained on the Inquisitor. Ventrax knew he was outmanned here and almost doomed to a death he did not deserve, but alas it was not his time. Xavier stood up and walked up to the Inquisitor, staring him down like he was a child against a bully. “Listen to me very carefully Inquisitor,” he muttered so quiet Ventrax could barely hear him. “You cannot and will not gain access to our files. Causing any pain to me or my Brothers will seal your fate within these walls. Any acts of treachery and you will meet a dire fate”. The two battle-brothers left and the Commander soon followed. At the doorway he stopped and turned to the Inquisitor, hand firmly grasped on the door handle.

“There is a fine line to the universe, Inquisitor Ventrax. Don’t ever cross it, lest you wish to expend your life”. And with that, he closed the door with a slam, shaking the walls itself, leaving Ventrax all alone and in a sea of questions.

Chapter 2

Inquisitor Ventrax crept along the corridors of the Fortress Monastery lower levels. It was obvious the meeting with the Commander or indeed any other high-ranking Space Marine would not get him the access he required. Interviews were no longer a viable source of information. However he wasn’t prepared to give up right there. And he was grateful that his thinking had gone outside the box. Back on the planet of Merthius XI when deciding on who should join him on his new mission, he had thought very carefully about the candidates. He didn’t want a big entourage, or a powerful one. But he at least wanted one that could become a serious problem for the Chapter if something should fall out of place. So with him he took his trusted friend, a Kasrkin sergeant. He also took a few Kasrkin troops and a Commisar, as well as a Vindicaire assassin. The assassin, known as Kraven, was an extremely skilled man with raw talent and a very keen eye. Hopefully he had thought that this assassin would help track down anything he sought after if he could not get the permission to find it. And that’s what he did. Sending the assassin in while he had entered the Fortress Monastery, he had hoped that Kraven could find the records and direct the Inquisitor to them. From there, Kraven can lead Ventrax out of the great building undetected and to the Valkerie that was still stationed on the landing bay to the South. If he could get there with what information he could gather, the Chapter would be none the wiser about what he may have accomplished. So now it was down to him to secure the records. Kraven was already waiting within the Librarium that was concealed in the low levels of the Fortress-Monastery and had relayed the co-ordinates to Ventrax to his tracking device. All Ventrax had to do was to follow it.

Through air vents and dark corridors he moved, taking much care to keep himself out of sight. As unusual as it sounded, he knew that the Chapter would be on some form of alert if he was caught heading towards the Librarium. If indeed he was caught, it may be the end of him and his entourage, as well as the ship above that awaited his return. Sticking to the wall, he flattened himself as much as he could, as two Astartes trudged past, armour clunking with each step they took, the sounds reverberating against the walls. When he saw a chance, he took it – dashing between the corridors to an opening that lead directly to the Librarium. Not far to go, he thought. Checking his wrist mounted device, the map showed him he was very close indeed to the last known position of Kraven. If there were any traps, the assassin would have dealt with them… he hoped.

The opening turned into a small corridor, much smaller than any of the others he had passed through. This must be a secret route maintained by servitors, he thought to himself, treading carefully. Sweat ran off his forehead as he trod every step, nearing the exit that was now approaching. He must be careful, he thought, unaware that an infra-red beam had been broken and an electric signal was being sent through a series of wires above his head. Soon he exited the corridor and stood within the halls of the Librarium. The vast columns of files, books and dataslates stood in large groups, like skyscrapers in a city. It was a marvel to behold; one that very few people like himself who would get to see unintentionally. Kraven had not shown his face, which had his attention for a mere moment, but he pushed the thought aside. If he was still here, he must be waiting to check if there were traps. Or he was already on the Valkerie awaiting his Lord’s return.

Ventrax took a step - nothing. He took another, looking around - still nothing. He took another step. A small rumble can be heard, echoing into the halls. Something must have happened up above he surmised. Onwards he walked, treading with caution, eyes searching carefully labelled bookcases and columns. Suddenly he stopped, a bead of sweat trickling down his face. As he turned he could hear a faint whirr and a shutting noise, and his eyes spotted the threat. Sentry guns had deployed and were now trained on him. Forcing himself to make a dive, he rolled out the way as the guns began unloading bolter shells at him, their aim almost as perfect as their design. Clearly I have tripped an alarm, he thought. How careless of me! Damn me for this! His thoughts became short-lived as more darted out of the walls behind him and began firing. He dodged them and rolled again, trying to make it into a corner. In an instant, the floor disappeared. He was floating in mid-air. And then he fell, screaming to his doom. He landed hard on what felt like a brick, breaking his legs and fracturing other bones. Organs may have been ruptured, he wasn’t sure. He couldn’t see anything. IT was pitch black. He tried to find his sword, but it had fallen off after he landed. Scouring around, he touched something - a body alongside a knife. His eyes shot wide in the dark. It was Kraven. Kraven had fallen into the same trap, and he had died from the impact. He got on his knees in agony, trying to find his bolt pistol. Suddenly from the gloom, he heard a click, followed by footsteps. But where? Where was it coming from? He looked around and saw nothing.

A light flashed down upon a robed warrior, clad in Yellow and burgundy armour, a familiar bolt pistol trained on the Inquisitor’s head. A stern and yet familiar man stared at him, no sense of sympathy or content. “You crossed the line Inquisitor Ventrax. Now you have wasted your life.” Shock appeared on the Inquisitors face. A shot rang out in the darkness. The light dimmed and went out.

Epilogue

In the basking light of the nearby Star, Chapter Serfs carried out their duties – keeping the Fortress Monastery in top condition. This included dispatching the destroyed wreckage of the Valkerie and the wreckage of the Strike Cruiser the Inquisitor had brought with him. There was much cleaning to be done, but such was the work of the Serfs. Down below, deep within the Fortress-Monastery, 2 Serfs stood side by side in a large room where two bodies lay. One was a rather plain looking man, dressed in camouflage clothing and carrying a knife and a laspistol. The other was also a man – clad in ornately decorated armour, covered in seals, aquilas and the mark of the Inquisition. The Serfs stripped away the armour and weapons that they could find, storing them away in the Chapter’s armoury. The bodies were then given the Emperor’s blessing and burned in daylight, hidden from the prying eyes of any onlookers.

This was the fate of those who crossed the line, and Judgement awaited those who committed such an act.

C&C welcome

not bad, but the start could use a touch up to grab my interest even more, because i almost clicked off it to start off it, but decided to carry on.

The best part was when he found his assassin's body, not sure how he did that and knew it was his assassin's body and how the assassin was so careless.

8/10

Carry on, beucase the ending and epilogue was good, you got me hooked now, well done ^^.

thanks

antique_nova

Cheers :P The beginning I wanted to be subtle yet just outlining certain bits; before letting it build up to a nice argument. The assassin got caught in the same trap which explains why he was there first :P

I'll have a think over this, might expand

• 2 weeks later...

Series 2

Chapter 1

It was night-time. Deep within the grand walls many slept quietly, unsettled by the occasional thump of Guardsmen on their evening patrols. With the upper parts of the city, the Grand Inquisitor Davis sat upon his working chair, head buried in stacks of parchment and data-slates. In his hand was a quill, the end dipped in ink, scurrying away against the parchment in a flourished movement producing words faster than any normal scribe. But Davis preferred the traditional quill and parchment to the more technological ways of data-slates. There was a sense of tradition whenever he used it - but not tonight. Tonight he was writing out a careful message. One that would reach the very top of the Ordo Malleus, he hoped, and be read many times, before the required actions were taken. As one would think, he being a Grand Inquisitor would be able to handle heretics such as these that were now on a permanent rampage across the stars, but to his disadvantage he lacked the troops and supplies to deal with this threat. He would require the aid of many, both Regiments of the Imperial Guard as well as Companies, even Chapters, of Space Marines; perhaps even the help of his brother Inquisitors and the mighty Grey Knights if the need became great enough.

He stopped briefly and had a sip from his cup that sat next to his writing hand. The smell of black coffee wafted up his nose as he gently let the dark liquid pass down his throat. Resting the cup back down, he took a long look out of the window that overlooked the city of Correlia. Deep within him, he hoped that this grand city would not see a fight soon. But hopes, he knew, were for fools. And fools died first, side by side with the weak and the damned, the heretic and the traitor. No, he needed aid quickly he thought, sliding back to facing his desk and continuing his message.

When he finished at the crack of the dawn upon the planet of Grephos, he summoned a servant to his quarters. The servant appeared - bleak-eyed and showing lack of sleep. No matter he thought, he will wake up soon enough. He rose from his desk, rolled the scroll up and attached a data-slate to the outside with a thin red string.

“Take this to Inquisitor Marvello and tell him that it has the utmost importance”. The servant nodded, took the scroll and data-slate and left with speed, heading for another chamber within the city. Grand Inquisitor Davis sighed and gave in to his body’s wishes for sleep. He quickly changed and lay down on his double-poster bed. Before exhaustion got the better of him, a thought buzzed in his head.

“One Chapter… how could a whole Chapter fall at once? The Nova Warriors of all Chapters… why them?”

Yeah I've decided on a sequel. This one is more on a mass rebellion that the Chapter experiences, so it should be alright. More should follow

hey Hubernator, I'm impressed! A very nice start with alot of potential. My only gripe as I was reading it (besides a couple of minor grammar/sentence structure issues) was this part:

No, he would require as much as he could get. He would require the aid of the Grey Knights, the Ordo Malleus most experienced and high-ranked Inquisitors, many regiments of Guardsmen, and a Chapter of Space Marines if the need becomes so great.

I understand you're highlighting a progressively higher level of need. however, you have to consider the numbers involved:

millions (possibly billions) of Imperial Guardsmen

1 million Space Marines (1,000 Chapters of 1,000)

1,000 Grey Knights (1 Chapter!)

Might make more sense as:

'He would require the aid of many, both Regiments of the Imperial Guard as well as Companies, even Chapters, of Space Marines; perhaps even the help of his brother Inquisitors and the mighty Grey Knights if the need became great enough.'

just a tiny point that bugged me as i read it, hope you don't mind! :D

cheers

Lysimachus

same here, i was gonna write out the same thing as strike, but since he's explained it all...and boy is the competition for fame getting hot in this part of the forum

skirax

hurbinator

Strike Captain Lysimachus

...possibly me :D

damn i love it when theres a good group working on stories :P. especially multiple stories.

thanks

antique_nova

Chapter 2

Dawn broke on the Eve of the Yuvell Festival – a week dedicated to feasting and celebrating another year of surviving and defeating all that opposed. One such fellow did not enjoy this eve. Sitting alone in his quarters, Grand Inquisitor Davis sat on his bed, bleak-eyed and physically shaken. News had gotten through from more than one source the night before, both grim and enlightening. At roughly midnight he was called to the briefing room deep within the city, where he was hailed by another Inquisitor from a nearby sector. Davis was told that the Ordo Malleus had notified all nearby sectors including the one that this Inquisitor was currently in, and that all defences will be tightened and reinforced for any challenge. The Grey Knights would not be making any arrivals, as none were within close proximity to arrive in time to provide aid or actually available to deal with the threat. However, Guardsmen from the local sub-sector were being mobilised to his planet as aid, and more were on route from the Cadia sector – pure veterans sent to aid his cause. When the transmission had ended, Davis had felt relieved somewhat that his message had got through – that help was on the way. All was in vain however, as not an hour later an officer knocked on his door, awaking him from his sleep. The officer had apologised and handed him a piece of parchment with URGENT stamped over the string that held it closed. After unravelling it Davis read the report, and the news had stunned him to his current state. In his head he reeled out the message again and again:

“Sub-sectors Corvus and Deytron have fallen. The Guardsmen there were shot down from where they stood as they held the line. Cities are left in ruins, millions dead, very few survivors if any. Defences were crippled with ease, no clear evidence as to what.

The Nova Warriors are now on the move heading this way. Make ready and Emperor watch over you”

Davis couldn’t control his fear for much longer, but he could not give in. He was not weak like others before him. No, he will remain strong. He shall remain in control and in command. He will lead the charge and win the day. Or die fighting he will. Shaking his weary head, he got up and stared out the window. If all is lost, then the fate of countless billions beyond them would be at risk.

“We shall not fall” he muttered, grimace still on his face. “I’ll die trying if the Emperor wills it.”

---

Aboard the Battlebarge “Blade of Righteousness” ten men clad in robes all faced out the bridge window to the stars. One stood ahead of them ten, sword at his side and helm in his hand. All were looking ahead, as if their deep eyes were searching for something; a sign or an object maybe. Whatever it was, they all were focused. And it continued throughout the ship. Every other Astartes had taken refuge in their personal quarters, staring out the window that each one had. It was as if all were connected and made into one; their minds linked into one giant network that spanned the whole ship and beyond into the entire fleet. Deep within the bowels of the Battlebarge resided a Librarian, eyes sealed tight and head deep in thought – projecting the same message to his Brothers, the same message he was given by his Master – the true leader of them all.

All Inquisitors must die.

They are the true heretics.

We must purge them.

YOU must purge them.

YOU…

Hmmm, last Chapter is good again, but I think the final section could be cut completely, it's not really needed and at the end of the previous paragraph

Deep within the bowels of the Battlebarge resided a Librarian, eyes sealed tight and head deep in thought – projecting the same message to his Brothers, the same message he was given by his Master – the true leader of them all.

you could just change it slightly, say something along the lines of 'a voice so soft and quiet he could only catch on very edge of his peripheral hearing, but yet so persuasive and full of power that it could not be ignored' or something like that, we'd all get a pretty clear idea from that what it is that is speaking to him, but its more subtle than having the final paragraph set in warp?

anyway, just a little thought, feel free to ignore if it doesn't fit! <_<

Lysimachus

Well thanks for the input Lysimachus, it's much welcomed ;)

I think you're right - that last para should go. It keeps bugging me so I'll remove it.

Not sure about your suggestion for the para before. Might not include it, but I appreciate the suggestion ;)

Archived