Paladin Knight Titan! (Finished!)(With Suprise!)

Teg

Greeting Brothers! I bring to you my pet project: a Paladin Imperial Knight Titan (IKT).

I got the urge to make one after seeing its rules on BoLS, in their Lords of Battle minidex. Later I read (on the BnC, I think) that the IKTs are the most likely super-heavy a space marine would use, and this gave me more reason to make one. Anyway, long story short, I decided to make an IKT for my marines, and thinking about it has helped solidify background ideas for my chapter, the Fireblades.

But this is the WIP forum, not the Liber Astartes, you want pictures!

A rough picture of the design (white cylinders are roughly Marine sized):

gallery_26921_1201_29531.gif

The plan of the bits I'll cut out of the foamboard (squares are 1cm):

gallery_26921_1201_3822.gif

The resources (~£10!): Blue 10mm foamboard, 18mm dowelling rod, some cereal box cardboard, and some googly eyes.

gallery_26921_1201_60964.jpg

Not particularly interesting yet, but right now I'm being commandeered to build & paint Mordheim buildings for Games Day... I'll post more IKT WIP pics later.

Praise to the Omnissiah!

but what are the googlie eyes for?

because they are awesome. A buddy of mine at my LGS once told me he wouldn't play against my scratch built warhounds unless they had heads.. so i made these and attached them with springs from pens to make booble heads.. http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k199/fattyguyriley/0826091538-00.jpg

Cheers,

Ramo

:lol: at the above. Now imagine that to scale...

Anyway, second page? SECOND PAGE!? :angry: I will revive this thread using the power of Progress Update! [rolls psychic test][gets 9] phew, just cast. No one's got any psychic hoods? No? Good.

Board with lines marked on:

gallery_26921_1201_807.jpg

Starting the cutting (yes, I drew a smily on the front plate...:P):

gallery_26921_1201_8173.jpg

All the bits:

gallery_26921_1201_31480.jpg

Now I've got to start actually building it... Oh well, that's what weekends are for!

Regarding the googly eyes, it just so happens that they're exactly the right shape for the large optics lenses on the head (:geek:). It'll make more sense when it's painted up.

Blessings of the Omnissiah upon you!

Welcome to the Household brother knight! Im also building a Paladin from my own templates, need to do arms, detail and a few more body sections. Good luck brother! Looking good ATM!

Progress Update! [rolls psychic test][gets a 9] That's close... I'm going to fail that test one day, then this thread will be stuck! :P

It's the legs today. Here are all the bits:

gallery_26921_1201_41867.jpg

Assembled into sections (I have a picture of how the toes were made if you want it):

gallery_26921_1201_3226.jpg

While assembling I found it useful to glue a foot flat onto the base with its toes, as this helped to support the rest while I put on the other leg, (which is not fully in contact with the ground as it's at an angle). The knees had two pins in to keep the angle, and the pelvis/leg joints are also pinned as they will have to take the weight of the body:

gallery_26921_1201_39219.jpg

Almost forgot the void shield generator! -_- :

gallery_26921_1201_36528.jpg

Feel free to ask for close-ups if you want 'em.

Sorry for the lack of update, but this guy:

I sincerely hope you pull this off... I got serious doubts to say the least
jinxed me, and I've run out of PVA glue.

I've also been busy this week, but I can't really do anything until I've got some more glue.

Update eventually...

I went to town yesterday, and have returned with PVA (Yay! Progress may continue!), Poly cement (I ran out ages ago, and this is in a precision bottle - handy!), a bigger bits box and, having noticed that it was released that day, SPACE HULK!!! :)

Anyway, now I've got the glue I can say...

I sincerely hope you pull this off... I got serious doubts to say the least
I find your lack of faith... disturbing... Progress Update! [psy test][get 11]

Umm, well, err... I know! I'll let my Librarian cast it: [psy test][gets 11 again]

:)

The Daemon Prince? [gets 10] Ok, now we can continue...

Part 2: The Body

The bits that will make up the body:

gallery_26921_1201_25184.jpg

Half Assembled:

gallery_26921_1201_52645.jpg

The body finished:

gallery_26921_1201_61995.jpg

And attached to the legs:

gallery_26921_1201_3067.jpg

Blessings of the Omnissiah!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of update recently brothers, Real Life has kept me busy. However, RL decided to leave me alone today so the Knight's made a lot of progress. I'll post half of it today and the rest tomorrow, after I've slept.

Progress Update! [psy test][gets 8]

Part 3: The Cannon

This part sees the guest appearance of a 4" length of dowling rod. I drilled holes in it for the cocktail sticks, so they can act as pins.

gallery_26921_1201_41783.jpg

Assembled...

gallery_26921_1201_10787.jpg

And the cannon arm. I'm worried the dowling rod will be to heavy for this joint, but we'll just have to wait and see. :)

gallery_26921_1201_43656.jpg

Now, by RAW I only need one psychic test per post regardless of the number of updates, so I can go straight on to...

Part 4: The :devil: Huge Chainsword

Ah, one of the fun sections to scratch-build. Here are the bits (sans the teeth - I forgot them), you can see the first use of a GW part, round slottabases!:

gallery_26921_1201_3764.jpg

Now the teeth. The sword body had a slit cut in it, into which go cereal box cardboard triangles (1cm squares cut in half).

gallery_26921_1201_45207.jpg

After a few fell out, I added a strip of PVA along the base of the teeth to hold them in.

gallery_26921_1201_35647.jpg

And the sword arm:

gallery_26921_1201_38595.jpg

Now I must sleep. Stay tuned for the head and heavy bolter tomorrow, and I may even got some painting done...

Praise to the OmnissierrZZzz... :P

Thanks for the support brothers! Now onwards with parts 5 and 6!

Progress Update! [spy test][gets 5]

Part 5: The Head

This update is sponsored by... the googly eyes!!! :P

gallery_26921_1201_24791.jpg

The four slabs were glued together then skewered by a cocktail stick to stop them sliding. Once it was relatively firm I cut the corners off, cut out the grill and attached the eyes. Hopefully you should be getting a skull impression, very appropriate for the Emperor's Marines!

gallery_26921_1201_14420.jpg

Part 6: The T-L Heavy Bolter

BoLS has given the IKTs a T-L Heavy Bolter, but after googling the Kights all other sources I found said T-L Autocannons. Other sources say there is no 'Warden' class, instead giving Crusaders and Castellans with Quake Cannons rather than Warden Launchers; Lancers have no T-L secondary weapon; most IKTs have 'Shock Lances'... I'm generally confused by all these discrepancies, does anyone have a link to a good history of the AdMech rules in Epic?

Anyway, after that small sidetrack, here are the bits I used for the TLHB. We've got yet another guest appearance, this time from a comb binder comb... thingie. Just look at the picture, ok?

gallery_26921_1201_48019.jpg

Which all gets cut up and glued together to make this:

gallery_26921_1201_61778.jpg

Praise & Blessing etc..

Part 7: Armour Plating

This bit's not particularly interesting. Suffice to say most of the process involves turning this:

gallery_26921_1201_42659.jpg

into this:

gallery_26921_1201_1118.jpg

Part 7.5: Before the Painting Begins...

gallery_26921_1201_266417.jpg

There are more images in my gallery, see sig.

I probably won't get round to the painting today and I'm out tomorrow, so I'll post again when it's finished... you can feel the tension...

Very nice, but I think you should ball joint the limbs. The model looks horrendously static as it stands.

Ball joints was the original idea but I couldn't work out how to make the joint, keeping it small enough. It would also have weakened the model which is already rather flimsy. As for horrendously static... you got me there.

Damn. He is done before me. Well building it anyways. Great work. The head is comical atm :P Nice work.

And painting it! :lol: Also, comical head? Will you be laughing when it's running straight at you?

Part 8: Painting

Base coat...

gallery_26921_1201_57946.jpg

and done! B)

gallery_26921_1201_69639.jpg

gallery_26921_1201_24413.jpg

[cue the Portal song]

I know the paint job isn't brilliant, I'm not brilliant at painting, and at least it's finished.

Now for my piece of fun... My first post contains a lie. Can you guess what it is? All will be revealed in a few days... :P

... but i want some cake, no fair!

Regardless, this is a good looking model and a great framework + step by step for others to follow. My only gripe is that it doesn't have a gritty 40k feel to it and it could do with more details. For example, the back is rather bland, what about details which suggest a plasma reactor? etc etc Not neccessary but maybe something for the future.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade brother, this is very inspration for something so cheap. I'm going to have to give it a go myself soon.

Al

the price.... that was fake :P

... That's true, but that was due to incompetence, not sinister-ish-ness! I will do a recount:

• Foamboard: £2
  • PVA glue*: £2
  • Cocktail sticks, box of: £1
  • 18mm Dowling rod: £5?
  • Some round bases: spares
  • Cerial box cardboard: free (sort of)
  • Googly eyes: £3?
  • Comb-binding-bind: nicked from our home office equipment. Cheap, but bought in bulk.
  • Black paint: £4
  • GW Fiery Orange: ... what do you mean you don't sell them any more!?! ~£2 for Macharius Orange... grr...

Which comes to ~£18, but with loads of bits spare... In fact, if you spent £4 on two more sheets of foamboard...

Anyway, it's cheaper that FW would be. :D

He he. I finished my build now. I'd love to see em fight.

Yours would win, the dice gods like pretty models! Mine only looks good from a meter or two away. :(

... but I want some cake, no fair!

Regardless, this is a good looking model and a great framework + step by step for others to follow. My only gripe is that it doesn't have a gritty 40k feel to it and it could do with more details. For example, the back is rather bland, what about details which suggest a plasma reactor? etc etc Not neccessary but maybe something for the future.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade brother, this is very inspration for something so cheap. I'm going to have to give it a go myself soon.

Al

Don't worry, you will be baked, and there will be cake.

I know it doesn't feel very 40k-esque but gothic design is all fiddly little crenelations and arches, which are hard to make, and I'm a whimp... Regarding a plasma reactor, like the ball joints my original idea was to use the generator off the back of a Land Raider, but getting the bits is expensive and difficult. However, what I lack in quality...

... I make up for with quantity.

gallery_26921_1201_111989.jpg

gallery_26921_1201_45015.jpg

The lie was:

...I decided to make an IKT for my marines...
I never intended to make just one :devil:

6 Paladins and 1 Baron.

~2500pts for £22.

Next holiday... 3 Lancers and 3 Wardens.

;) Have a nice day :nuke:

Archived