A pretty cool idea

Donkey Kong

The earlier implant would make a lot more sense. I could see it in the order I imagined:

Every town or village has an overseer who tells little boys that they can become angels if they go to the fortress atop a mountain. Boys go out to travel to climb the mountain, those who make it are gene tested by the present Astartes and start training after a feast (maybe even having an introduction to the more bestial nature of the Chapter). The Omophegea is implanted in a group of recruits who are all sent out given the task of hunting down, killing and eating the intelligent predator (Chimera or whatever it may be).

Those who can tolerate the experience lug the hide or corpse or head back up the mountain and those who can't go insane and become what is the Chapter's effective equivalent of the Wulfen.

The Inquisition is probably going to be a bit more weary of the Chapter. I have trouble drawing the line, since I really am comparing them more to the Space Wolves, Flesh Tearers and even the Minotaurs in feral nature.

And on another note, the name Locust is just the one I'm associating with the Chapter at the moment. I know it may be overbearing, but it sounds better to me than Chimeras, Snake Eaters /pun, or Eaters anything for that matter.

SH, in the draft above they are sent out with the Omophegea after they are inducted into the Chapter but before they are admitted as full scouts. But, it could be changed. I can't seem to find that Creation of a Space Marine article, so this might have to be changed.

To me, that would be a lot of investment of the chapter's geneseed before the recruit is even given battlefield conditions. I think pushing it back so that they get sent out after becoming a scout would ensure that the geneseed investment isn't wasted. Then perhaps they do this hunt then in order to obtain their Black Carapace. Then you can either have them spend some more time in the scout company while they learn how to control their minds and instincts or have them placed in a Reserve Company where they learn by example.

Every town or village has an overseer who tells little boys that they can become angels if they go to the fortress atop a mountain.

I'd have like in one of my other concepts for a chapter. That is that it is tribal legend that those who reach the summit are taken by the Emperor's angels and the tribe that sends them gets rewards for their young man's accomplishment.

The Inquisition is probably going to be a bit more weary of the Chapter. I have trouble drawing the line, since I really am comparing them more to the Space Wolves, Flesh Tearers and even the Minotaurs in feral nature.

For what reasons would they be weary?

And on another note, the name Locust is just the one I'm associating with the Chapter at the moment. I know it may be overbearing, but it sounds better to me than Chimeras, Snake Eaters /pun, or Eaters anything for that matter.

Gore Talons, Gore Champions, Raging Corsairs, Doom Hunters, Doom Eaters, Marines Sangiune.

an overseer who tells little boys that they can become angels if they

I'm sorry but this started to sound like a Michael Jackson joke, don't flame me and stuff, I know the guy died, people do that you know!

Perhaps their Librarians plant little "markers" in the initiate's brain that increases the Omophegea's response and giving off instincts and bestial nature instead of memories. The first beast that the initiate eats will be his "chosen" animal,unless your going for only one kind of predator. So then the rest of the marine's life he feels the instinct of the beast inside him taking his standard "ANgel on one shoulder and demon on the other" too "A chapter Master on one shoulder and the ferocious animal on the other."

You could say how these Marines are prone to nightmares and wonderful visions in their sleep.

Definitely an interesting idea King. I think a Librarian mumbo jumbo warp touch would be an interesting and believable twist.

Hooray for me! I've generated an idea that actually receives attention :D !

I think pushing it back so that they get sent out after becoming a scout would ensure that the geneseed investment isn't wasted. Then perhaps they do this hunt then in order to obtain their Black Carapace. Then you can either have them spend some more time in the scout company while they learn how to control their minds and instincts or have them placed in a Reserve Company where they learn by example.

Sounds better than my original :) .

That is that it is tribal legend that those who reach the summit are taken by the Emperor's angels and the tribe that sends them gets rewards for their young man's accomplishment.

This works better.

For what reasons would they be weary?

Acolyte: "Inquisitor, the new marines are carrying around giant dinosaurs, eating everything in sight and I think I saw a pair sniffing each other."

Inquisitor: "Typical Astartes behavior. Come along, we've business to do."

:)

Perhaps their Librarians plant little "markers" in the initiate's brain that increases the Omophegea's response and giving off instincts and bestial nature instead of memories. The first beast that the initiate eats will be his "chosen" animal,unless your going for only one kind of predator. So then the rest of the marine's life he feels the instinct of the beast inside him taking his standard "ANgel on one shoulder and demon on the other" too "A chapter Master on one shoulder and the ferocious animal on the other."

I originally just wanted a genetic disability, though a possibly darker undertone with the Librarians would be very welcome and interesting. Perhaps even having the Librarians keep a dirty little secret that the Marine's aren't as mutated as they think they are. Chaplains might have a little to say on that though, so I'm a little stuck here.

As far as the animal goes, I was really thinking about that and you bring up an interesting possibility. If they all eat the same animal there could be a sense of cooperation. If they eat different ones each Astartes is going to have a subconscious better suited to different roles. But, this is another idea (and I think a version was already proposed):

what if the first animal they eat is one ordered by the Commanders, a wolf of sorts, an intelligent pack hunter that makes the marines ferocious and work better together. Then on top of that, the Astartes visit different worlds and eat different animals, so they all have the pack hunter instinct but as they eat more and more different minds they form a sort of conglomerate of subconscious ideas then the combined mind takes over in combat. They can still cooperate with the pack nature but have different talents.

Is this good or off?

You could say how these Marines are prone to nightmares and wonderful visions in their sleep.

Sounds interesting.

For all proposed names, maybe and no are my only answers. I'll decide on this one later.

Keep the suggestions coming. Thanks,

KHK

Guest Mordray

I'd steer away from having them have all of the best 'instincts' around... Unless you want them to start going nuts... I just can't see someone not even an astartes being able to retain control with a whole butt load of congealed instincts floating around in their minds... just look at the Ragnar books and the SW's inner wolf...

You do a lot of chapters that compare to the Space Wolves... not sure if that's a good thing...

Eh, I tried with the Death Heads and the end result really doesn't resemble them for me. Though, I could be wrong.

The Emperor's 9mm UZIs were a Dark Angel successor gone awry, so they weren't really Space Wolves :tu: ! Albeit they were a joke Chapter. I may actually give them another shot (pun intended) after this Chapter.

Honestly, with these guys, it's more drawing on the feral nature. I placed my example with the Flesh Tearers and Minotaurs as well. Remember in the Horus Heresy book Battle for the Abyss where Skrall uses the implants to basically fall into the subconscious and let the rage take over his actions? This is what I see with the two minds aspect. So, I could very well imagine some of the Marines letting the beast take over (for lack of a better term) and fall into the subconscious directory identifying friendlies and enemies.

In the end, I could just be spouting nonsense. I love the Space Wolves and if I somehow manage to shove Space Wolf in my Nutella or butter spread then it's just because I think they're cuddly wubsies and I can't help it (a.k.a. slap me).

A deviation in their sus-an membrane (that's the one that allows for hibernation) could easily explain that. The stored memory of eating wolves, and the hibernation only affecting the parts of the 'higher' (man-like) brain.

the sus-an membrane does not only affect the brain. you switch that thing on and the entire body shuts down, for centuries sometimes. if a bit of the brain is left awake it will starve of oxygen because the heart stopped beating.

Guest Mordray

Catalepsean node + Sus-an membrane + Omophegea = equals damn near any mental mutation you need...

Mutations within the Omophegea are noted as being the source of blood drinking and flesh eating rituals within some chapters. <You've already got this down.>

Catalepsean node switches on and off certain parts of the mind to allow individuals to remain awake and functioning... 500 and something days I believe is the longest documented duration of marines going without sleep... fluff for the organ suggests it only delays/reduces the need but doesn't prevent the onset of sleep deprivation. <read this is your best bet for 'instinct switching'>

Sus-an membrane is designed to initiate a suspended animation event... however that same process can be mutated to achieve other effects...

Alright... I have no clue where I read it at or if it's supported by the fluff but the Mantis Warriors... or another chapter I was interested in at the time... susposedly had the ability to push themselves into a sort of 'hyper mode' where time for them seemed to slow down, the catch though is that they couldn't slow back down and would burnout after a while due to the stress...

That doesn't exactly help you directly but my guess would be that the chapter noted above likely had a Sus-an membrane mutation that reversed the process normally associated with the suspension of animation. Ah well food for thought...

Don't worry I'm sure I had a point in there somewhere... maybe... I do that sometimes...

--------

Remember rule number 1 of writing science fiction... It doesn't really matter if it is actually possible only that it sounds plausible...

--------

eh just seems you do a lot of comparing to the SW is all... In light of what you posted I feel I should inform you that I wasn't attacking you. I don't know your full portfolio of chapters or idea's... I do know the Kraken Marines / Death Heads which at one point during development included regular references back to the Wolves... my concern is that your too focused on a narrow range and thus limiting yourself to other options.

Catalepsean node + Sus-an membrane + Omophegea = equals damn near any mental mutation you need...

That sounds very good. Thanks everyone who suggested parts of this, and Mordray for putting it together.

Alright... I have no clue where I read it at or if it's supported by the fluff but the Mantis Warriors... or another chapter I was interested in at the time... susposedly had the ability to push themselves into a sort of 'hyper mode' where time for them seemed to slow down, the catch though is that they couldn't slow back down and would burnout after a while due to the stress...

I've heard that too about the Mantis Warriors.

eh just seems you do a lot of comparing to the SW is all... In light of what you posted I feel I should inform you that I wasn't attacking you. I don't know your full portfolio of chapters or idea's... I do know the Kraken Marines / Death Heads which at one point during development included regular references back to the Wolves... my concern is that your too focused on a narrow range and thus limiting yourself to other options.

No insult taken, I take a lot of things with tongue an cheek (unfortunately, this isn't always in my favor). The Death Heads, the number of development phases, my, I posted the last thread as version five, but it has to be at least eight with everything I tried (more so if you want to count my own word documents where I just fumbled with everything). The SW references was when I think I was bordering on insanity, thank god the Chapter escaped that. I see what you mean by a limiting factor.

With the mutations, I don't see the Chapter really valuing anything besides their weapons, and even then I mostly see them as decrepit and worn. I don't know if I want Librarians to be more feral or more controlled, both work via the connection to the Warp. Chaplains and Techmarines have to be more controlled. This is mostly concerning outside of battle, I think standard battle brothers would still have feral "ticks" if you will.

It's late where I am in our small world, so, thanks for the input everyone, and good night!

Archived