Building/Modelling Units for GT,

People I need a bit of help regarding GT.

I'm currently assembling a Soul Grinder but intend to leave the legs as freely rotatable with the motive of avoiding area terrain. Would this be frowned upon by the tournament crowd or is it a fair tactic?

Maybe I don’t understand the problem entirely but I’m not sure why you would need to do this. The rules for placing a model upon Deep Strike are not very rigid. As in for a typical squad, the rule of creating concentric circles never specifies what happens when you can’t complete an entire circle. Therefore you can pick a desirable side and line those models up accordingly. Many times that’s how a larger squad gets placed to completely avoid any problems with hitting other models.

In the same way, it never states that you can’t rotate an arriving model in such a way as to avoid terrain and still adhere to the distance determined by the scatter die. So instead of just picking up the SG model and moving it in the direction of the arrow, turn its facing as necessary to avoid other models (terrain or otherwise) already on the table.

That’s the way I’ve always played it and never been challenged.

Does anyone know of an issue with this practice? If so I’d like to hear how other people play this rule.

-OMG

I think he's suggesting that under different circumstances, as he moved the model on the table (like into assault) he would 'fold the legs' underneath the body to avoid clipping terrain and taking the initiative hit. And that's what I think most people would say is shenanigans. What you're suggesting OMG is totally acceptable and common practice.

I think he's suggesting that under different circumstances, as he moved the model on the table (like into assault) he would 'fold the legs' underneath the body to avoid clipping terrain and taking the initiative hit. And that's what I think most people would say is shenanigans. What you're suggesting OMG is totally acceptable and common practice.

That is exactly the point I'm investigating because if the legs are fixed then it's either covering a large surface area or unable to get a lot of terrain cover i.e. It'll be quite tall.

Also what is the recognised way of working out blast templates in relation to centres? Is the circular plate with the spine poking out widely recognised?

Ok, I’m a bit clearer now but maybe even less so at the same time (Did I just say that? No, must not have). So if we had an SG model that could, “fold up” you could either keep its legs tucked in (say to avoid being assaulted) or extended (to therefore extend its reach) or partially extended to fit into tight areas – where those mousy little enemy models tend to hideout. Right? And maybe even be able duck down to better leverage cover from incoming fire?

Yeah, I mean, no, I don’t think that would fly at a GT.

I have an SG model that I constructed using a Leman Russ. Like so:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v699/OwlandMoonGuy/00-SG1-WIP2.jpg

I have had opponents object to the fact that it completely blocks LoS for models behind it while stock SG models do not. So far I’ve been able to talk it through with the other player and kept the model in play.

If they objected to this kind of change how much more so if it could dynamically change its dimensions during play?

Nice idea though. Sounds just like the kind of fiendish tactic the Chaos gods would come up with.

-OMG

If its the normal model then add a skimmer base underneath it and make it as wide as the underside torso. That way it settles nicely. If you want to take the conversion further add a slot+pin for up/down movements.

Like this linked picture:

http://www.solidworks-apac.com/wp-content/...2009/06/ms1.jpg

That way the legs only go up and down, not to move around and mess with people trying to assault you or your model avoiding blast templates because the legs shift around.

In all legallity though models come WYSIWYG without tampering, the legs are noted to not requiring glue. So by all means you can have the legs loose without the pin+slot or gluing it in place.

Archived