Pre-Heresy Death Guard Project (C:SM)

fudal78

Hi Guys,

I wanted to get an expert opinion on this. I’m planning a Pre-Heresy Death Guard List to start as a modelling project after I’ve finished my current DIY chapter SM Tourney List.

After doing some research I think I’d like a list which can lead by Garro, or Typhus. So my first question is what models/rules should I base these two on? I had Lysander’s rules in mind for Typhus (but I don’t know much of his background so that may be way off base) and for Garro I was thinking of Sicarus’s rules with a model converted from Shrike’s body (I think the chest eagle fits well and the pose is cool).

As for force composition it seems that Tactical Squads should feature prominently and Terminators are fluffy. The Death Guard's apparent lack of mechanisation is a bit of a pain given how 5th edition armies tend to be built but I figure drop pods would fit so that provides some “mobility”. My questions here are, would Sternguard fit with the fluff/period? Were Scouts or Dreadnoughts present in the Legions? And finally, what tanks are appropriate to a Pre-Heresy army list?

Just as a last general question, looking at colour schemes the Death Guard seem to be painted white with green trim. The fluff indicated that the armour is unpainted with green trim, do the people in here think that rather than white the plates should be grey or metallic in colour, particularly as the Lunar Wolves and the White Scars have white painted armour?

• 2 weeks later...
After reading the first 3 Heresy books, I was under the impression that the Death Guard's armour pre-heresy was an "unpainted" gunmetal colour. They didn't appear to care for flamboyant paint schemes, just brutal efficiency.

Brutal 'walking towards the enemy quite slowly whilst blasting them with their bolters' efficiency.

They had bronze skulls as their only bit of adornment - being the chapter symbol, of course - but the general impression is big, ugly, simple and brutal. They did use Drop Pods, which would be the most fluffy option (of what little there is about their actual style of war) for an army.

Appropriate tanks: Rhinos, Predators and Land Raiders, with not a lot else. The various different and recent patterns of those vehicles to make them better wouldn't exist.

• 2 months later...
Dont use eagle emblems only the EC had them. Also use an off white colour for the main colour with a Darkish green trim.

Actually, Nathaniel Garro wore a Double Eagle emblem.

EDIT:: srry bout the threadmancy

he is not the only one to wear the double eagle, it was a mark of veteran status from the terra unification war i believe. they did exist for others, but they were rare.

WLK

After re-reading Flight of the Eisenstein the ceremonial eagle cuirass worn by Garro was a gift from the emperor to the Captain of the Death Guard 7th company, along with the title of battle-captain.

It was not actually part of the armour, but an ornamental front and back peice which was attached over his normal armour. The eagle on the chest peice was also not an imperial aquilla, but only had one head.

So if you want you do not have to have Garro with an eagle.

Regards

T

Archived