Dedicated Pre-Heresy Bitz sites.

Skirax

I'm currently doing a Pre-Heresy World Eaters force (Soon to be appearing on here in WIP form) and I've hit a snag. So far, I've been converting Chaos SM kits and have been kit-bashing to the extreme. However, I've decided to do an Assualt Squad and I really want them to look the part. So, really the bitz I'm looking for are:

(Pre-Heresy)

Jump Packs

Helmets

Close-Combat weapons

Does anyone know of anywhere I can buy these bitz?

I'm currently doing a Pre-Heresy World Eaters force (Soon to be appearing on here in WIP form) and I've hit a snag. So far, I've been converting Chaos SM kits and have been kit-bashing to the extreme. However, I've decided to do an Assualt Squad and I really want them to look the part. So, really the bitz I'm looking for are:

(Pre-Heresy)

Jump Packs

Helmets

Close-Combat weapons

Does anyone know of anywhere I can buy these bitz?

There are PH style jump packs but they are long OOP as they were produced in the Rogue Trader days. If you can acquire one or two, you may be able to build you own from bitz, styrene, etc a lot easier (and cheaper) than purchasing a squads worth. I have seen on several occasions.

Helmets would be available from a variety of sources including CSM. Mk IV helmets are available from Forgeworld as part of the Red Scorpions Vanguard squad (which has notably post heresy armour). Some online bitz sites do offer separate bitz from kits like this. The Black Templar sprue also has some Mk IV helms and the Templars and Dark Angels have Crusader/Grey Knight style helms on their sprues.

Close combat weapons would again be mostly from Rogue Trader sources or scratch built.

You may have to check out some trading/auction sites to find what you need. eBay is a good place but can get a little expensive. Watch auctions for a little while to get a feel for are what the item mean and low prices. Rogue Market is a "Warhammer Trading, Gaming, & Hobby Discussion" site and you may be able to find what you need there. For individual Forgeworld bitz, Bits And Kits UK is pretty good for individual FW bitz (although they can go very quickly) and they offer free shipping on orders over £20.

As one last note, I have seen some pretty amazing conversions of current bitz into PH equipment. It does take time and effort but can get you what you need. All you need is a reference (picture or actual piece), an appropriate core item to work from and GS, styrene, etc. I do have some B&C threads marked of this sort of thing. I can give them to you if you wish.

Hopefully, this gives you plenty to work from. Sorry I could not provide you with bitz sources for everything you needed.

For jump packs and helmets, try maxmini:

Maxmini 1

Maxmini 2

The jump packs fit great too

I would have to agree with daismith about the jump packs. They are very close to the old RT jump packs that I have seen. Plus the price is excellent, about the same as the standard jump packs from GW.

Hey Skirax, congratulations on your choice to re-create the most interesting of the Legions! :P

Commander Remiel has done a great job of going over some of the more common choices, so I won't repeat them. But, I would like to add several other recommendations.

I've used the maxmini packs (which are resin BTW) for older-style armour marines. I've coupled them with mk2 and mk3 armour, also from Maxmini to give the impression of troops in older style equipment. Its important to remember that the Great Crusade lasted for a long time (more than 200 years) and this period saw more technical development than the 10,000 years following the heresy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/Pacific81/fincomp.jpg

These guys (ignoring the chaplain converted commander) are a combination of Maxmini mk2/mk3 heads, filed down chaos marine torsos with assault marine legs (I find the berserker ones look a bit too much like they are doing the hokey-cokey :D) I've greenstuffed chainmail which I feel adds a more medievil style look which favours the look of the armour. In background terms, I can imagine these guys being veterans of Terra who have been fighting as part of the great crusade for some time. The idiosyncracies of their newly discovered Primarch, Angron, are just starting to filter into the troops, as evident by the chain axe one marine is wielding.

As a contrast, I have also made this assault squad:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/Pacific81/assjpcs1.jpg

These are referenced from Collected Visions (the pre-heresy bible - if you don't have this, please get it! ;) ) All wearing mk4 armour, these guys are a later addition to the crusade, which is also reflected in the lack of ornamentation on their armour. The jetpacks are much smaller than the other bulky jet turbines, I feel a halfway house between those and the later 40k version - perhaps a refinement in size and effeciency of design (although no doubt less impressive!) These turbines are made by a guy called TheBuzz who posts on thegreatcrusade.co.uk. (You can look at these Here!)

I wouldn't say either version is 'best' - with pre-heresy its all down to perception, there is not really any right or wrong way to do it. All I will say is to experiment and see which look you prefer for your force!

Take a look at the blog in my sig, it gives a lot more detail on other troops and I'm trying to make a resource for pre-heresy world eater players to use!

Sure no problem Skirax, and thanks for the complements :P

The chainaxe the commander is carrying is indeed from the FW chain axe pack, although all the others I have used have simply been from the Chaos Berserker boxset (which is also a great, although expensive, way to get mk3 helmets).

The helmets are indeed from Maxmini (These ones) They're called 'Steam Knight Helmets'. I don't know who or what the steam knights are, but they sure look a hell of a lot like pre-heresy marines thats for sure! ^_^

Although they're excellent for pre-heresy modelling (I would say perhaps the best release since the FW Red Scorpion mk4 upgrade pack) my only criticism of them is that they are ever so slightly too large, especially when you consider marines have quite large heads for their proportions anyway. This is fine if they are part of a 'busy' model, with big weapons and loads of other extra bits (like jump packs etc) but I can imagine them making a bare-bones tactical marine a bit top heavy.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you need any more advice, will be interesting to see what you can come up with :)

Archived