Recruiting from our age

Soeven001M

Hey guys this is my first little topic on here and just saying hey love 40k and love the Imperium though not want to live there.

Anyway I was wondering what you guys think on this.

I know all about the Gene-seed and everything but is there something also special about humans in 40k as opposed to the ones in this time? I mean could we create Astartes from the average 13 year old boy here? So what do you guys think?

Thanks for your thoughts :blink:

Going off the way GW write their fluff, it would seem that only hardy humans are selected to become Space Marines, with only the strongest from a certain tribe etc or something similar being the usual way of selecting recruits. I think todays 'Video Game generation' wouldn't have a chance lol

If we had the biotechnology, the total lack of any moral qualms, no problem with torture, abduction, slavery, and most of all, a totalitarian single state/ruler with no legal problems - sure, we could make modern humans into marines. In fact, we'd probably make better marines than in the 40k universe as we arent genetically degraded as much and dont have as many odd little DNA mutations than tehy do, after another 40,000 years or so of recycling genes...

HAHA how true for both of your guys views, but that also begs the question that I think I should add.

Who here has the guts to think they could try to be an Astartes granted taking it from the view that you are a 15 year old kid at the oldest. Also if your a lady lets just assume magically we figured out that there is a way to turn you into a Astartes even if you got XX chromosomes, I am not a jerk to exclude anyone from pain haha.

And maybe if none of them suffice how about an Inquisitor any of you have the guts to try and become one of these um *cough* individuals?

I reckon a few of our troublesome urban gangland types might be hardy enough for marine recruitment - if they're not too deep in their drugs! Plenty of hardy types in the so called third world cultures as well - boy soldiers in Africa and South/Central America.

As for Inquisitors - the nearest current equivalent is probably an investigator for Interpol, as CIA, MI6 etc operate under limited freedom of movement - as likely to be shot as successful.

Plenty of possible recruits. Not all marien chpaters use child-warriors as recruits. Its jsut that that is frequently the easiest way to determine if someone has the mental capacity to kill, the capability of extreme violence needed by marines, without a lengthy screening process of the entire population every coupl eof years. Its a low-tech, simplistic test, and still doent produce the correct answer every tiume (as the number of failiures attests) same as in teh Gurad - some of the most unruly regiments can be amongst the best fighters, but equally, a highly trained and motivated regiment from a more 'civilised' world - maybe one that doenst fight amongst itself - can be just as good. Probably more reliable for a general who needs troops to obey a plan/stick to it actually...

Drug dependancies - not a problem, as long as they can survive through training without it. After all, all full marines are drug-dependant for the rest of their lives as their bodies arent biologically or chemically stable and require periodic chem and hypnotherapy to re-stabilise them.

Welcome to the forum Soeven001M, hope you enjoy your time here!

Perhaps this topic however would be more suited to the general Amicus Aedes section, and not the hallowed grounds of the Horus Heresy discussions? ;)

After all, for a while the 31st millenium was a much better time to be alive, in that there was actually a feeling of hope within humanity, something which is entirely lacking within the current 41st millenium timeline!

• 2 weeks later...
you cant create a space marine from an average anything. let alone an average 13 year old boy. according to the fluff space marine recruits are selected from either the toughest or strongest or greatest warrior of a community, not to mention you have to be brave as hell to be even considered to become an astartes warrior. in short, recruits are chosen from youths with the best genetics.

Imperium would blast the First World into oblivion.

From there pick up what survivor children there were after 20 years to ensure they are all hardy.

Most recruits for the Space Marines would come from Blood Diamond Africa, the Middle East, and South Pacific Islands. And on a stretch North Korea. Basically any nation that utilizes child-soldiers, mass lawlessness, and massive scale of combat.

Everything else would be bombed, or ignored.

the ultramarines and several other chatpers recruit from civilized worlds where children are raised and prepared for the trial to become marines. if you're looking for a good recruit, why pick from a place where diseases like HIV are rampant and children are malnourished? only a small percentage would have any chance of surviving the recruiting process i would think. a civilized nation might not have children who are as hardened by their surroundings, but they wouldn't be picking the fat kids playing WoW and Halo, they'd go after the jocks who are healthy, strong and especially those who are gifted with great genes and are just naturally athletic. also, you avoid the worse of the culture shock that regressed people would have when they were suddenly brought out of a tribal, backwards society and thrust into a futuristic world of space travel.

what about the SAS, you get plenty of physically tough guys going for it. and let's be honest here - SAS training is about as hard as it can physically get without being impossible and fatal for recruits. I understand GW worked on the idea of fatalities among recruits being common, but let's be serious - hardly any 13 year old children nowadays are physically tough enough and they certainly aren't tough enough mentally. also considering - wouldn't you want smart troops? not so they think about what they're doing, screening takes care of that problem, but so they can contribute to battles etc. do remember 40K is a fantasy universe - there are some very unorthodox and unrealistic things in it.

Hardly any shildren is more than enough though - it may only be something like 50-100 kids in the world every generation, but thats all the marines need. Fatalities in training - I believe it is/was the Russian Special Forces who still 'commonly' have injuries and deaths during training (or at least its not that uncommon). Sometimes so do other countries - live fire excercises are inherently daagerous even when planned to the Nth degree.

A thirteen-year old child who is reasonably fit, passes the genetic compatibility tests and can be moulded physically by fitness training, and made to do anything the trainers want, with no fear of any political/social/legal issues can fairly easily be made into a marine. As for the mental aspect - consider Grey Knights, who practically have a complete mind-scrub at the very beginning of their training - no reason it cant be done to give a 'modern' child the right mental framework to become a marine...

Marines recruit ferals because it sounds cool its not based on anything. The video game generation is soft because it can be.. Take away all the soft things put a gun to there head and tell them what you want to do, I guarentee you'll find some tough ones. Alot of soft dead ones too, but there would be some roses among the weeds.

And no OP I would not try and be a marine, cause you sacrifice your humanity to become a brainwashed killing machine. Plus likely early death, plus no chicks.

I think the people of our age are too pansy to become Space Marines. It seems that in the Grimdark future we have manned up though, since Imperial Fists for example recruit from here. But yeah, that's gonna take a few millenia. ;)

By the way, welcome to the boards! ;)

Archived