Chaos Dreadnaught in reserve

Magnus Thane

Finally got a Chaos Dread, quite customized for full melee.

My opponent used one twice with deadly efficiency before. He said early on the Dread proved highly unreliable.

But his lascanon Dread is used through reserve rolls nowadays and I must say the beast does its job with deadly efficiency.

Oddly enough I never saw that approach advocated on the forum. Dread in reserves and than pops up by the side.

@Magnus Thane:

It’s one way around fire frenzy, and it works theory wise as a reserve counter attack option.

But the random timing of it, and the lack of initial distance of normal deployment can hinder it a lot more than the crazed table.

@Drudge Dreadnoug…

The point is to get around fire frenzy.

When there is a rule that would prevent a unit getting on the board, that rule is ignored. So fire frenzy would be ignored once. Page 94 BRB.

In addition, you can’t come in on the side in Table Quarters either, reread the entry again. The long table edge is defined. That is where units move on, regardless of deployment zones. Page 88 BRB.

My 7 Cents.

Not being on the board may ensure that you don't fire frenzy and shoot your own units, but it also ensures you aren't shooting theirs just as much as the fire frenzy does. Yes you don't have to worry about FF on the turn you come in, but you'll lose at least 1 turn of shooting anyhow.

@Drudge Dreadnoug...

I know, which is why I said:

But the random timing of it, and the lack of initial distance of normal deployment can hinder it a lot more than the crazed table.

At the vary least we can call it an option.

In addition, if it's a double DCCW, fire frenzy cripplies it by not allowing it to do what it should be. There is merit to using reserves to use it as a sort of counter attack option, but again, the timing is too random to rely on it, in addition the dread just doesn't have the reach needed to perform that role well enough.

My 7 Cents.

Archived